Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Nationals VS Hurrican Gustav

Jim Norman

OK, we are scheduled to shoot Sunday, one week from tomorrow. Gustav is scheduled to hit Mon/Tues down in Louisiana. What is everyone's thoughts on this other than wishing all the people down that way the best of luck?

Anyone remember where Katrina went after it hit?

Other than normal precautions and bringing a set of rain gear, what all are the rest of you doing??

Jim

If the storm follows the majority of the projected tracks, it will make landfall somewhere very near Vermillion Bay, just about center of the Louisiana coastline. Everything I've seen has the storm de-intensifying and slowing down, then making a hard left into East Texas. This still puts the North/Northeast quadrant of what will then be a tropical storm into North Texas, possibly into Oklahoma. Will it extend bad weather as far North as Tulsa? I'd bet on it, at least for some squalls and heavy rain. If it doesn't make that left turn, it's going to get very wet in Tulsa, in my opinion. Of course, we'll have to wait and see where it makes landfall and what it does after that is anybody's guess, since that's about 3-4 days away.

I know people here are taking it very seriously. I'm prepared, and was going to leave for Tulsa on Monday, but that's not happening now.

Troy

After totally destroying a pair of range boots in the Stage 8 muck pool last year, I'm heading out to buy some kind of wading shoes/boots.

Not being a fisherman-type, I don't know if they make them sturdy enough to run nearly 400 shooters. Suggestions welcome.

Troy,

Hopefully all will be well with you and the storm will fall apart.

George,

I think I am going to look into a pair of those really good Green rubber boots that knee high. Also gonna get a set of rain gear or two. One heavier than the regular range wear.

Still leaving Thursday about 1pm.

Jim

Actually, I think the LPR shooters are going to get wet and the L10/Open shooters will have bue skys.........said in my most hopeful voice...

I do think the LPR shooters that are flying in may have some issues with flights.

After totally destroying a pair of range boots in the Stage 8 muck pool last year, I'm heading out to buy some kind of wading shoes/boots.

Not being a fisherman-type, I don't know if they make them sturdy enough to run nearly 400 shooters. Suggestions welcome.

George, try looking at Dicks sporting goods or Boaters World. I got a decent pair of deck boots that have reasonable traction and go about half way up your shin. They are pretty rugged considering they are made for working the decks of a commercial fishing boat for weeks at a time. ;)

As far as the rain or other incliment weather, although I would rather shoot in perfect weather, the targets dont move any further away, the swingers dont slow down or speed up, nor does time for that matter. The only difference is when the day is over instead of being drenched in sweat, Ill be drenced in rain water. Its a test of skill not a best outa 3 competition. I say this considering that I shot last years Mud Bowl in Tulsa in the morning when we got the worst of it. Either way this will be a great match, THANK YOU in advance goes to all the Range Officers donating their time, potentially destroying their foot wear and or clothing so that we can ALL have fun. Thank you H! :)

Edited by hf219

Shrimper Boots. Available at Ace Hardware and other places.

Generations of Cajuns can't be wrong.

Muck brand boots or shoes. Can't go wrong.

Troy

Muck brand boots or shoes. Can't go wrong.

Troy

+1000

If those viewing this forum never follow any other advice from this forum, follow Troy's advice and get thee some Muck Boots. These boots are excellent, light, have decent traction, and make good boots to ride ATV and use for hunting. Macks Prarie Wings and Cabelas should also have them.

Fire fighter boots or what you see worn on Deadless Catch will keep you dry but they are heavy. In other words, not bad for ROs but would be awful for a competitior.

Charles

Charles

Here is what I use Boot Dryer guaranteed to get your boots dry by the next day. You can fill them up with water, dump them out and put them on the boot dryer and they are good to go in the morning. It should only take about 3 or 4 hrs for cleats or other light footwear.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40