Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cr-speed conversion

fenwick

there is a classified add for a cr-speed wm model with parts

to convert back and forth between STI/SV/1911 and revolver

.I have emaild and pm 'd on sunday afternoon but nothing

back. I called shooters connecton to see what it would take

to convert my cr-speed but they had never heard of this nor

recomended it. A new cr-speed revolver holser is $189 shpd.

I tried to find a speed-sec with no luck. THere is an expected

big increase in their price with new shipments due to the dollar

vs. the euro.Anyone have any experience converting the cr-

speed to revolver or have a revolver speed hlster to sell? Man

this revolver stuff is really adding up.

I converted a Hogue Power Speed holster over to revolver. Those are about $90.00 in Brownell's. This holster is absolutely

secure when locked and lightning fast. The one holster works for all my Smiths that are from 4" to 7-1/2". I can post pics

tomorrow if you're interested.

I converted a Hogue Power Speed holster over to revolver. Those are about $90.00 in Brownell's. This holster is absolutely

secure when locked and lightning fast. The one holster works for all my Smiths that are from 4" to 7-1/2". I can post pics

I would definitely be interested in the exact holster you purchased and how you

converted it. any pictures would be great also.. This is for my 627 pro the I

purchased frm MIke Carmoney that he did his magic on.I plan to use it for

steel shooting all frm stand and draw with no movement.

I purchased a CR speed WSM for my revolver and when Miss FFL needed one for the IRC this year I could not get one in time. So I purchased a regular CR Speed holster.

There are two things you need to do.

1. Machine a riser for the front as that part is not in the kit of the regular model.

2. Dremel a champher on the upper inner surface of the locking area for clearance of the trigger guard.

I now use this setup and it works great. I can post pics later if you want. I also have a print made for the riser piece. this could be made by any machinist. I made mine from Al and it could be made from any sort of machinable plastic or even wood in a pinch.

dcs

I must be doing something wrong. I put the CR Speed on a belt, put an L frame in it and started shooting. If it was tight on the belt and the belt was secure I had no problems. I guess I could read the instructions. I use a Hogue for ICORE and would not change it. But have a CR Speed for USPSA. I just like variety I guess. later rdd

I can post pics later if you want. I also have a print made for the riser piece. this could be made by any machinist. I made mine from Al and it could be made from any sort of machinable plastic or even wood in a pinch.

Please. And if you can post the print, it would also be appreciated.

I would definitely be interested in the exact holster you purchased and how you

converted it. any pictures would be great also.. This is for my 627 pro the I

purchased frm MIke Carmoney that he did his magic on.I plan to use it for

steel shooting all frm stand and draw with no movement.

My picture poster helper doesn't get back until about 5:30. I'll get some pics on later this evening. One of my guns is a 627. All the guns work

great. You can use this holster locked for run n gun, or unlocked for standing. Either way is just as fast. The gun cannot fall out or be knocked

out when the holster is locked.

Universal Shooting Academy makes a great holster and it fit all S&W revolvers loosen one screw and you adjusted for barrel length. Simple as can be. I got mine at Brownells for about $179.00. I use it for my 4", 5" and 6 1/2".

Toolguy.

I would love to see those pics also along with any tips you may have to make the standard Hogue convertable to revolver.

Thanks.

My CR Speed Revo holster is about 18 months old. It appears to be relieved for the revo trigger guard because the triiger guard sides are not parallel but get wider to match the frame thickess. The holster is relieved to accomodate this. Mine also seems to have no spacer for the muzzle end. It has the piece with a "post" that slides (barely) into the barrel to locate it, not the "cup" I see on some (older?) CR Speed holsters.

Edited by Tom E

I must be doing something wrong. I put the CR Speed on a belt, put an L frame in it and started shooting. If it was tight on the belt and the belt was secure I had no problems. I guess I could read the instructions. I use a Hogue for ICORE and would not change it. But have a CR Speed for USPSA. I just like variety I guess. later rdd

I'm with Bubber on this one. i have been using a CR-Speed for about 18 months and the only thing I did was leave the .40 muzzle plug on there since he .45 seemed to be too tight. No problems whatsoever.

PAT

Here are pics of the holster and some of the guns used in it. All that's required to change to a different gun is to loosen the knob on the back of the crossbar

and slide it up or down. It takes a few seconds, no tools required. There are 2 different size muzzle plugs on the crossbar, one for 35 cal, one for 44 & 45.

post-10360-1219893302_thumb.jpg

4" JM 625

post-10360-1219893340_thumb.jpg

5" 44 Automag 29

post-10360-1219893335_thumb.jpg

6" PPC 686

post-10360-1219893320_thumb.jpg

7.5" Open Bianchi 686

post-10360-1219893347_thumb.jpg

post-10360-1219893353_thumb.jpg

unlocked

Edited by Toolguy

Hey I have a revolver with a counterweight and I was wondering what you guys thought of the Speed sec or limcat holster. Are they secure? This would only be used for SC.

The Speed Sec is the only holster I use for all my revo's, will hold L frames, Nframes with any different

barrel length.

One thing I did do was add locktite to the lock lever pivot screw, it has a tendency to loosen up

when used a lot.

There's a dealer here that carries them, shootersconnection.com, $110 IIRC

(and forgive the thread drift please)

Edited by 10mmdave

Toolguy.

I would love to see those pics also along with any tips you may have to make the standard Hogue convertable to revolver.

Thanks.

The pics are up, let me know if you still have any questions.

there is a classified add for a cr-speed wm model with parts

to convert back and forth between STI/SV/1911 and revolver

.I have emaild and pm 'd on sunday afternoon but nothing

back. I called shooters connecton to see what it would take

to convert my cr-speed but they had never heard of this nor

recomended it. A new cr-speed revolver holser is $189 shpd.

I tried to find a speed-sec with no luck. THere is an expected

big increase in their price with new shipments due to the dollar

vs. the euro.Anyone have any experience converting the cr-

speed to revolver or have a revolver speed hlster to sell? Man

this revolver stuff is really adding up.

We did get the speedsecs in this week. They took a modest jump to 129.00

I have never done the conversion but if you had a revolver holster with the aluminum riser you may be able to buy a plug, remove the riser, install the plug, adjust trigger guard width, insert correct trigger bar and use it with an STI/1911.

Here are pics of the holster and some of the guns used in it. All that's required to change to a different gun is to loosen the knob on the back of the crossbar

and slide it up or down. It takes a few seconds, no tools required. There are 2 different size muzzle plugs on the crossbar, one for 35 cal, one for 44 & 45.

post-10360-1219893302_thumb.jpg

4" JM 625

post-10360-1219893340_thumb.jpg

5" 44 Automag 29

post-10360-1219893335_thumb.jpg

6" PPC 686

post-10360-1219893320_thumb.jpg

7.5" Open Bianchi 686

post-10360-1219893347_thumb.jpg

post-10360-1219893353_thumb.jpg

unlocked

[/quote

Toolguy,

How much would you charge to convert a Hogue for me. Looks awsome.

Angryreb

here is the picture of the riser I made.

sorry about the poor paint job the paint was cr@py and it didn't dry right.

the yellow part is the riser.

That does what the aluminum piece on a revolver holster does. Did you convert a std(1911/sti) holster and what else did you need to do? Trigger bar different, spacers for trigger guard width?

The riser has to be their for the spud to enter the barrel and maintain the correct position. The std 1911 setup does not come with the riser.

The other thing is to campher the edge as the trigger guard does not fit quite right in the std 1911 base.

I can post pics of the champher if you want.

I had to add spacers (included with kit) to match the trigger guard.

david

AngryReb-

I'll make all the conversion parts and sen them up for $125.00 + $10.00 shipping, or you send a holster and I'll make the parts and

put everything together and send it back for $140.00 + $15.00 shipping. (It's easy to assemble, just a takes a little time).

The riser has to be their for the spud to enter the barrel and maintain the correct position. The std 1911 setup does not come with the riser.

The other thing is to campher the edge as the trigger guard does not fit quite right in the std 1911 base.

I can post pics of the champher if you want.

I had to add spacers (included with kit) to match the trigger guard.

david

That might be a good idea. I know I will have customers asking if they could do this. If its easy I may get CR to send me just the aluminum riser , or a kit to make a regular 1911 holster a revolver holster. Maybe if one bought a revolver holster first it would be much easier to go back to a regular 1911.