Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What magwell on SS guns? What is preferred?

ATMester

After spending like a year and a half with the big techwell on my skinny gun I am back with the S&A style magwell and happier then ever.

As Zhunter mentioned in his similar thread once in a while the mag just don't get seated in the big wells.

What I observed is that my shooting is more relaxed with the S&A style well on my single stack. Has to be...a tense fast reload versus a smooth quick reload.

My support hand goes to the belt gets the mag out, speeds up and slams home the mag while the strong hand tenses up to hold the gun in place while I palm in the mag. With the small magwell I am just smooth...I have to be if I wanna find the opening and my support hand have a lot more leverage hence the smaller well.

On a ten yard target (el presidente) with the techwell my reloads were in the 1.4x range with the S&A I am at the 1.5x 1.6x but the overall times (we talking about el presidentes here - I have an extensive record on those) are almost similar often even faster. I am just smoother...and smooth is fast.

Anybody has similar experiences? Seems like the big one is just offering more room for error....but at the upper levels just no room for error.

What are the top shooters using? Any data on that?

IMO dinner plate sized magwells should not be allowed on SS guns, it's not what the division meant to be. I know I know as long as it fits the box...

Edited by TheHun

Imagine that a super big magwell is big enough to miss. An S&A magwell that is blended properly is about the right size. The key is practice, the one drill I found helpful is Matt Burkett's 10 mag reload drill done on par time.

Rich

OK, in a PERFECT world, you would have two identical guns, one with a SV magwell, the other with the S&A magwell. You would do all of your dry fire reloading practice with the S&A magwell gun, and all of your competing with the SV magwell gun.

No need to explain the above, it should be clear.

Hello: I am going to try the SVI magwell. I use the S&A one and a Kimber one now. "Merlin the great" told me to try one and see how I like it. I do have some mags with longer base pads and may have to use those in order to seat the mag. Thanks, Eric

Anybody has similar experiences? Seems like the big one is just offering more room for error....but at the upper levels just no room for error.

Hasn't been that way for me. I put a large Techwell on my SS gun and haven't had a situation where I didn't seat the mag. I trimmed a tiny bit off the front of the Techwell and used the long Wilson basepads, then trimmed them to fit the box and all has been swell. I had an S&A on the gun for a short while and am much happier with the Techwell....it also helps secure the bottom of my hand as part of my grip. On a perfect reload I don't see any difference between the various magwell sizes, but the Techwell can save a reload that isn't quite perfect a lot better. R,

I started out with a S&A. Then I tried the XT. Like some have found, the little wells are plenty big enough, so I ditched the big techwell... problem was, I loved the way the gun balanced with the alumagrips and the stock poly ms housing... so I bought the Techwell Carry. That thing is the cat's ass - low profile, but a bit more room for error than an S&A. Weighs almost nothing. I am still using my extended basepads shaved to fit the box, as the std pads barely stick out of the Carry.

I'm in the SA camp myself. Magwells are only there when you miss the reload anyway right :rolleyes: I don't like the look of the Techware, the svi is better, I love the way a SA looks on a single stack though. I'm probably going to try a SVI on my .40 single stack as its being built for USPSA only.

Just reading thru the post Guys, thank you and keep them coming.

Try to answer to a couple of comments above:

I have two race ready SS gun (not identical but almost) one with the S&A magwell and the other with the big Techwell. Came to the conclusion that I prefer the S&A after spending time with them both.

I use filed down 47DE's.

I also realised that I like my lighter (38oz) gun better vs the almost 43oz gun. It just transitions and stops better. Quick.

I am not sure where I stand about fiber optic vs plain black. I know what I prefer on black pepper poppers. :D

I promise I won't throw in a 9mm vs 45acp question here. :roflol:

My random thoughts on Single Stack guns, this is what this thread is about....

Edited by TheHun

I have the SA on my Trojan and I want more. Being primarily a Limited shooter with a big a$$ honking magwell I am trying to decide if I want the Techwell or the SVI. I like my micarta grips and that is pushing me towards the SVI.

I'm in the SA camp myself. Magwells are only there when you miss the reload anyway right :rolleyes: I don't like the look of the Techware, the svi is better, I love the way a SA looks on a single stack though. I'm probably going to try a SVI on my .40 single stack as its being built for USPSA only.

You know you want to cut your frame. Don't be scarred.

I had an S&A on the gun for a short while and am much happier with the Techwell....it also helps secure the bottom of my hand as part of my grip.

IF you read through the VERY detailed thread I made about SS magwells, it is clear that GOOD reloads are not better with a large magwell, you might be able to slop a mediocre one easier with a large magwell. BUT....

The benefit is for indexing the draw and indexing after a reload, HUGE difference