My New Toy

CSEMARTIN

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello: Let see, power feed, collets, cutters, boring head, vise, rotary table, and a DRO. That should about do it :roflol: You will enjoy your mill enough to buy a lathe etc. Get a owners manual for your mill so you can adjust everything. You may want to take it all apart and clean it as well. Thanks, Eric

I'd saytime to hit HARBOR FREIGHT!!! I hate that store...i end up walking out with at least 10 other tools when all i need is a pair of pliers??

Chris, My back hurts already. The collets from the Smithy are the same so you'll be set there for a while. I think I have the same T-slot size too so hold downs are handled. Got a few indicators and magbases too. We'll be making chips in no time. Biggest thing will be getting a rotory phase converter. From what I know the statics work but you do loose power after start up and I've heard they can be pretty hard on the motor. We'll get her all hooked up man, just gonna have to rearrange the shop to make her fit.

if that's a 'J-Head', i think they are all 1hp 3 phase, unless somebody changed it. i gotta 'Gentec' rotary 3hp converter, they were the cheapest. they have a website. it's good quality. RTFI(read the f$#@ing instructions), i figured it out pretty easy, and i'm totally afraid of electricity......

if that's a 'J-Head', i think they are all 1hp 3 phase, unless somebody changed it. i gotta 'Gentec' rotary 3hp converter, they were the cheapest. they have a website. it's good quality. RTFI(read the f$#@ing instructions), i figured it out pretty easy, and i'm totally afraid of electricity......

Yeah it's a J-Head. ! HP 3 phase. Good call. I'm not to worried about the electrical, did that gig for about 6 years. We'll get her hooked up so Chris can build some awesome toys!!! Some of the J-Heads had a center tap transformer on the primary windings too, so it might be possible to hook this up on 220V instead of getting a phase converter. Gotta wait til we pull the plate off and see.

Some of the J-Heads had a center tap transformer on the primary windings too, so it might be possible to hook this up on 220V instead of getting a phase converter. Gotta wait til we pull the plate off and see.

They will run on 220 but you'll need at least a static phase converter (big compacitor with a monentary switch) to get it started. Once spinning it will run on 220 but down a bit on horsepower.

I would not spend the time to install a one shot lube system. For the casual hobby machinist it's not woth the time. I have one on my mill but only use it ocassionally.

If you're interested in a budget DRO check CDCO at the following link. http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php

I've bought a few tools from them and found them to be of decent quality. I'm considering one of their DRO's for my lathe. A DRO for the mill is a big improvement. No more counting turns and having to remember where you are.

WRT three phase power, I run a 5hp home built rotary converter. It's basically a three phase motor you start with a static converter and then pull the three phase power off in parallel to the idler motor. I don't get too reved up over any decrease in power due to using a static converter. In gun work I am looking for accurate cuts with good surface finish. I'm not looking at how much metal I can remove in 8 hours.

Keith

Some of the J-Heads had a center tap transformer on the primary windings too, so it might be possible to hook this up on 220V instead of getting a phase converter. Gotta wait til we pull the plate off and see.

They will run on 220 but you'll need at least a static phase converter (big compacitor with a monentary switch) to get it started. Once spinning it will run on 220 but down a bit on horsepower.

You need a phase converter when using 220 to kick in the 3rd phase for the motors that are 3 phase only. Some of the motors had a center tap (Delta and Wye) that enabled you to hook 220V to it without the Phase converter. They were 'combination' primary windings. Not sure if that's the case here or not. Gotta wait till we pull the plate on the motor. It would be nice. but if not we'll probably use a rotory phase converter. When comparing the efficeincy of the rotory vs the static the rotory is way better. The rotory maintains the 3rd phase whereas a static only 'kicks' the 3rd phase for start-up. Then it runs on 2 phase. That's why your HP rating is reduced by about 1/3 and they are harder on the machine's motor cause it has 120 degrees of 'no power' rotation. Not trying to sound like a wise &** or anything, I was an electrician for 6 years.

Joe

Now that inexpensive AC motor drives (solid state speed controls) can accept 240 single phase and output 3 phase, all of the other phase converters are largely obsolete - it really is the way to go - and gives the great benefit of fine rpm control too.

Now that inexpensive AC motor drives (solid state speed controls) can accept 240 single phase and output 3 phase, all of the other phase converters are largely obsolete - it really is the way to go - and gives the great benefit of fine rpm control too.

i saw these when i was hooking up mine, now i kinda wished i had got one. the constant changing of the belts for speeds is somewhat of a pain. if i remember they were more expensive than a 3hp rotary. i'm not very electrical, just wonder how the motor gets enough a$$ when you go slow with big tools....... the later bridgeports do have the variable speed, but they have bigger motors too, is that why?

Unlike DC speed controls or "lamp dimmer" speed controls, AC motor drives do not reduce the electrical energy at lower speeds - instead they "remanufacture" the AC waveform entirely - and instead of it changing polarity 60 times per second as in normal 60Hz power, they vary the frequency of the remanufactured waveform. And the AC motor stays synchronized to the incoming frequency. That is not to say they have infinite range, but they're a lot better than other methods.

i saw these when i was hooking up mine, now i kinda wished i had got one. the constant changing of the belts for speeds is somewhat of a pain. if i remember they were more expensive than a 3hp rotary. i'm not very electrical, just wonder how the motor gets enough a$$ when you go slow with big tools....... the later bridgeports do have the variable speed, but they have bigger motors too, is that why?

It's here. Wow!! Moving one of these suckers is one hell of an ordeal.

The first picture is of the previous owner loading it onto our trailer. The second picture is after we (Joe, Chris, Mike and I) unloaded the trailer and delivered my new toy to its new playground. We had some interesting obstacles: an angry neighbor, two fences, gas lines to the house, figuring out how to strap this sucker up so we could lift it without damaging the ways, the incline of the driveway, the dark, fatigue from a grandslam trip, etc.

We got it done. Now it's time to start buying things from a never-ending list.

Thanks Joe, Chris and Mike for your help!! I couldn't have done it without you.

And for good luck, I pimped it out with a USPSA sticker.