CSEMARTIN

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sweet. Looks like a nice one.

Thanks Matt, I'm extremely happy!! Some of you guys know how long I've waited. I just can't put to words how excited I am!!

Phudd, you're right, I am going to have a lot of fun with this baby.

I have sure screwed up some things with a dremel tool. Just wait until I get this mill running....

it's a "J-Head", i think.....got the same one a couple of months ago, your's looks shinier(sp? that ain't right)not trying to one-up you either .......you're gonna have a great time with it..... just don't try to pick it up by yourself.... :roflol:

Very nice but now the REAL buying starts.

You'll want/need power feed, DRO's, one-shot lube system for the ways, a set of collets, end mills of all sizes and styles, reamers, edge finders, dial indicators and holders, mill vise, parallels, slide holding fixture, etc. etc. etc....

You'll want/need power feed, DRO's, one-shot lube system for the ways, a set of collets, end mills of all sizes and styles, reamers, edge finders, dial indicators and holders, mill vise, parallels, slide holding fixture, etc. etc. etc....

Yeah.....but that stuff doesn't cost much does it? :goof:

Yeah.....but that stuff doesn't cost much does it? :goof:

You'll spend just as much on tooling as you did on the mill. :roflol:

Very nice looking mill. If it is 3 phase, how do you plan to power it up?

I have a static converter on mine. The guy who made it says it will lower the power from the rated 3hp down to 2hp but that's more than enough for gun work.

Use an AC frequency drive. They have models that you can put in 220v single phase and get out 220v three phase. Plus you can vary the speed which with the belt drive head you can fill in the holes in the speeds. Automation Direct is one place to buy. You can get one for 5 amps for about $165 plus shipping. They also have 110v to 220v.

Toolguy, z40acp, TMC, Gregory_k and Matt---Thanks for your help!! I appreciate the suggestions!!

My biggest problem right now is going to be delivery. I've got to go and get it here first.

Lynn, my wife does know. There was just no way to hide that from her.

I found a local tow guy with a flat bed tow truck and a fork lift. He pick the mill up by its head with a fork lift and strapped/chained the mill the it, drove/winched the forklift on to the flatbed tow truck, drove it to my house and reversed the process. I'd would have never though about doing it that way. The mill stayed attached to the fork lift until he set it down on the garage floor. If you do hire somebody with a fork lift make sure the mast isn't to tall to get into your garage.

How does one hide a mill? Throw a towel over it?? :roflol:

Nice piece you've got there. I'd love to have one.

I thought about the, "oh yeah...that was there when we moved in" line, but my wife knows better. A tarp wouldn't last long. She'd get curious and go look under it.

Actually, the mill is going in a friends shop. Hiding the actual machine would be no problem. I would have some explaining to do when the credit card bills started rolling in. At least I could enjoy my nuts for another month.

I can hear it now, "Honey, what is a digital read out?" "What are all these reamers and end mills for?" "What is a Kurt Vise?"

Hello: Let see, power feed, collets, cutters, boring head, vise, rotary table, and a DRO. That should about do it :roflol: You will enjoy your mill enough to buy a lathe etc. Get a owners manual for your mill so you can adjust everything. You may want to take it all apart and clean it as well. Thanks, Eric