Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New Toy

CSEMARTIN

looks good chris, yeah she was a heavy brute. glad we got it in the garage without any major problems. im sure joes neighbors loved all the noise from 830/midnight... lol that was funny stuff.

good luck and have fun on the builds, ill be there for miller lite support i mean technical support... :) -chris

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris,

I'm glad that the move went as good as it did. It was a tiring trip but well worth it. Honestly everything went good except for all the delays I caused. I'm gonna try to get her in the corner this week. You gotta come up with a name for the beast.

BTW that USPSA sticker looks great on it.

:cheers:

You're gonna make some seriously cool stuff on that bad boy. It was an experience not soon forgotten. Thanks for letting me be a part of it.

Joe

Chris,

You gotta come up with a name for the beast.

It was an experience not soon forgotten. Thanks for letting me be a part of it.

Joe

Joe, You're welcome. Thanks for all your help. This type of job really takes a group effort.

When I was downloading the pictures, I had to name the files. The first name that popped into my head after I resized them to post here was Goliath.

Chris,

Got bored this morning and moved GOLIATH to his new resting place in the shop. We just gotta get a couple esentials and fire it up!!! Very soon. Very soon.

post-15338-1220028388_thumb.jpg

post-15338-1220028405_thumb.jpg

Not the best pics, but you get the idea.

See ya later man.

I used a manual mill for maybe 10 years or so, and am in the finishing stages of building a 3-axis CNC mill with Mach3 software - of similar size to your bridgeport. It's hard to tell in the photos, but if you don't already have DROs (digital readouts with no backlash) that should be high on your priority list of accessories.

if you don't already have DROs (digital readouts with no backlash) that should be high on your priority list of accessories.

It's extremely high on the priority list. It's at #2--right after the converter for the motor.

I would appreciate any suggestions on DRO's. I've been looking at candomachinery because a forum member here said the guy is good to deal with.

I've used DROs for about 30 years or since they first came out (whichever was first). The best ones of all are Accurite. They have

several different models. The low end Accurite ones work as well as the expensive ones. Mine reads out to .0002. Most are .0005.

Half a thou is fine for almost any project. I don't know about the cheap off brands they have now, they might be OK or might not.

To me, this is a one time purchase that will determine the quality of every project for years to come. I would not scrimp on this item.

I think you can get a brand new Accurite system in the $800.00 range, maybe better on ebay.

Good luck witht he new toy....it looks great.

Wish I lived closer....always wanted to learn how to do some of this stuff and it seems like everyone involved in this kind of metalworking is a long ways away from Long Island.

Have fun making new stuff !

JK

Instead of buying a phase converter, I decided to get a new single-phase 220V 1.5HP Baldor Motor for a few dollars more. So if anyone is interested, I have a 3-phase 1HP Bridgeport motor for sale. I'll make you a good deal on it.

Here is the Baldor Kit I got off of eBay:

It's gonna be another Miller Lite & Golden Blend weekend WoooHooo!!!!

Didn't get much done in the shop last night as far as getting things picked up, but today and tomorrow look promising yet. I'll try to yank the old motor off before the weekend so it goes a little smoother. I'm stoked man...

Joe

i dunno if you know this, but EBay is also a great place to buy endmills. i'm kinda new at this too, and endmills are freakin' EXPENSIVE. after shopping at MSC and ENCO, ebay is an incredible deal. you gotta surf a bit, but check it out.......