Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New computer purchase - Vista or XP Pro

Actually, I think they will: http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173

That being said, if you have a choice, go with XP if you know more than just a casual bit about computers; I think it runs better and is no where near the overblown resource hog like Vista. Dell, in fact, still sells Latitude laptops and optiplex desktops with XP pre-installed.

Edited by wgnoyes

so far I like XP but MS will no longer support it. Will I regret it if I order the new system with XP rather than Vista. Down the road will that decision bite me in the.....

Go with XP. After 6 months of struggling with Vista, Dell exchanged my entire computer for free to a XP system.

Edited by Joseph796

Go with Vista. Same things were said for 2000 and XP, and like Merlin said, it is all going that way like it or not.

I don't like it as much as XP Pro but....... Vista.

You can't fight it forever and everything is going that way.

Sure enough.

If the system is under powered or low on memory.. go with XP..

Otherwise... there's no stopping the clock. Vista can be made to act like XP, and look like XP if that's your worry.

This assumes all your applications you want to run.. run on Vista, which you should also research first.

Vista SUCKS.

I "downgraded" my wife's laptop to XP and we are much happier.

I use ubuntu LINUX (free ) and XP.

I'm hearing rumors that Vista will get replaced with the next windows version as soon as 2009.

It's a @#$%@#$ LEMON !

If you get Vista, I would highly recommend that you do not get a system with an ATI Video chipset unless you are running XP. ATI's drivers blow goats for Vista, at least with a majority of the dual-monitor stuff we are using at work.

Get something with NVidia, and don't skimp on RAM. 4GB should do. Get a 7200rpm disk drive.

I just got a brand new Dell XPS 1530 at work, its the only thing I am missing on my vacation (well, I've only averaged 2 hours of work a day on vacation, so its still technically a vacation, right?).

Run to your nearest Apple store and check out the Macs.

I use XP and my wife and I both already decided that if this computer bites the big one anytime soon our next purchase is a Mac.

JK

We have a lot of Macs at work as well, and I've been running into quite a few (3 in the last month) that were brand new, and absolutely wouldn't connect via ethernet, wouldn't netboot, and a bootcamp partition with XP wouldn't work either (airport worked fine).

We've gotten the runaround from Apple repair, and its really a huge pain when you have thousands of systems in your network environment, including other Macs, and they have no issues whatsoever.

The new Macs are all Intel except for the ethernet card (Yukon).

Its across the board, Macbooks, Macbook Pros, iMacs, and the Mac Minis.

XP. I love my daughters MacBook, though. Vista for eye candy, and with MS already developing the replacement for Vista (can you say windows ME!) I see little reason to switch.

XP. I love my daughters MacBook, though. Vista for eye candy, and with MS already developing the replacement for Vista (can you say windows ME!) I see little reason to switch.

ME for sure...

I may be in line at the apple store next time around. I would already if it wasn't for the software I already own...what's next buying a glock?! :devil:

Ran my computer on XP Professional for years without any problems. Given a copy of Vista Ultimate to try on the same computer for a while with an evaluation key and it ran fine even in dual boot mode, so I purchased Vista Home Premium and it's a dog. My internet freezes at random times and this is a known fault with Vista Home Premium that I found out about once I started searching the problem, but Microsoft is doing nothing to fix it.

If you want reliable, stick with XP Professional.

I don't like it as much as XP Pro but....... Vista.

You can't fight it forever and everything is going that way.

Yeah, I wrote my note with that in the back of my mind. I regenned my dell laptop from the recovery partition a week ago (2 years old, running not so well, time to clear out the cobwebs) and considered trying Vista, but decided I just didn't want to fight the software battles (office xp, macromedia/adobe studio 8), adobe cs2, hp1012 print drivers [there aren't any], etc). And I'd seen enough on a work vista laptop in the last year that I just wasn't impressed. Regardless, Vista is the current operating system offering and they've just done servicepack 1, so it's here to stay.

Win2000 lasted a little over a year before XP came out and people hollered about it's bubblegum candy features. But they took the bubblegum to a new extreme in vista, and it's a resource hog. Once again, software and hardware vendors get together for the decades old cry of "SELL MORE HARDWARE!"

+1 on going with Apple. If you're really worried about price, go to apple.com and look at Apple Warrantied Refurb computers. About 50-70% the price and run like new. I got my MacPro refurbed and haven't had a single problem. If you're planning on staying with windows, go XP, Vista is craptastic at best.

Win2000 lasted a little over a year before XP came out and people hollered about it's bubblegum candy features. But they took the bubblegum to a new extreme in vista, and it's a resource hog. Once again, software and hardware vendors get together for the decades old cry of "SELL MORE HARDWARE!"

Enough folks hollered about Vista that MS gave us a 5 year reprive. If (big IF) I can replace 25% of my hardware per year I will be ready to start migrating to "Vista3, SP2" in two more years.

I love this stuff!

David C