Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grease As A Threadlocker

EricW

I read many moons ago, on the Beretta Forum I think, about using heavy grease instead of Loctite as a threadlocking agent. I'm trying it out on a rifle that seems to persistently shoot loose. I'm not using Slide Glide, because I only have #1 SG. I'm using a Chevron Delo, which is a super-thick blue grease for auto/tractor chassis. I'm guessing SG #3 would be the ticket if we were going to use BE's stuff.

I'm giving it a whirl just because I need to lock some bolts that screw in blind to a receiver. If I loctited them and broke one (this has already happened once), I worry I might not be able to get it out with a screw extractor. Hence the desire to avoid Loctite.

Anybody fool around with this? So far, it seems to be working.

Try using Locktite purple for small screws, it works great but will not require heat or to much torque to remove small screws.

It is used in aircraft instruments to hold retaining screws, great stuff.

By the way, grease won't work.

Grease is made up of a liquid and some solid lubricant in a soap base, not my idea of a screw locker.

By the way, grease won't work.

Grease is made up of a liquid and some solid lubricant in a soap base, not my idea of a screw locker.

I don't know for sure. At first I thought it was the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. I've also heard anecdotally that it does work, but I haven't given it a scientific test or anything. From what I've played with it, the screws *seem* to have more friction than before. I think the idea is that when you torque the screws down, you're creating some type of hydraulic lock.

My rifle went totally loose after 500 rounds, and I'm 100+ rounds into the grease test. I'll know for sure in a week or two.

A grease may exist that works,

but why bother trying to find which one, etc?  Loc-Tite Blue and no loose fasteners.

Uhhh, because as previously stated, my gun tends to break bolts off into the receiver and I don't want to break an ez-out trying to remove a broken bolt thus rendering my receiver a boat anchor.

don't know about you guys, but shoe goo or the like has worked great. It holds screws in place, but when you want to take them out, you can get them out, pretty easily. Plus, the stuff is cheap as dirt and you can find it anywhere.

I don't know why anyone would suggest grease as a threadlocker. Seems like it would do the opposite and act as an anti-seeze agent. Buy a locktite that is used for small screws, either the blue or purple. Red is a permanent and requires heat. Paul

The problem with Loctite is that the two common elements necessary to defeat it (heat and vibration) are present in abundance on the barrel of a gun. When you get to the level of Loctite that is unaffected by the level of heat and vibration present on a barrel, you are dealing with the more permanent variety and they can be VERY difficult to remove.

Shoe Goo is a very thick silicone type adhesive/sealant that resists the heat and vibration very well. As the name implies, it was designed to repair the soles of tennis shoes. I first used it out of deperation (had a comp loosen up just before leaving for a big match and it was all I had) and learned was surprised how well it worked. I have been using it for nearly 10 years now with great results. It is available almost anywhere including most grocery and drug stores.

Leo

Grease ,

an amaving product . In car repair its used for sealing trans covers . I guess it could theoreticaly be used as a hydrolic locking agent. I have noticed though that the realy greasy bolts are the hardest ones to break loose. I would guess that as the grease bakes on and becomes a solid the hydrolick lock becomes permenant.

For comps I use brownells acra glass with a little powdered steel. you cant get em off if ya wanted to.

Johnnie

I don't want to break an ez-out trying to remove a broken bolt thus rendering my receiver a boat anchor.

Official thread drift warning!

Don't even think about E-Z outs! Find a local or even not-so-local EDM shop and have them EDM the broken screw out of the receiver. I've had great luck, everything from 5/16 brake rotor screws in a $800 billet Harley wheel to 2-56 screws in a $$$$$$$$ waveguide. Generally about $50.00 or less.

Don't even think about E-Z outs!

Sooooo....if I used a $5 set of EZ Outs from Harbor Freight to pull the broken bolt, does that make me a heretic and an infidel?

:P

Seriously, excellent suggestion for really stuck stuff in expensive parts.

I am convinced EZ out was condensed from the original name of the product,

" If it ain't easy this won't take it out "

If you get a little to enthusiastic with one, and break it off in the bolt, UR screwed.

Sorry for the drift.....

Eric,

Let us know how the grease thing works, with the proper grease there is some hope. Application of Moly lube to threads increases grip with the same torque, through additional bolt stretch. This is a thing generally found on stuff torqued alot tighter than the stuff normally found on most guns.

I'll have to try the Shoe Goo thing, sounds good.

Travis F.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a reoccuring problem with the extractor rod working loose on my 44 Mag. Several times it backed off enough so that I had trouble opening the cylinder. I took it to the old Smith & Wesson pistolsmith near me that I deal with and he used what he called the old timer's (loctite) trick. He used rosin. Don't know where to get it but the problem vanished with my 629. Maybe there is a violin player around.

• 3 weeks later...

If the grease doesn't work, I second blkbrd's recommendation for purple loctite. It is formulated with reduced locking power specifically for small, easily-broken screws. I've used it many times when blue loctite was too strong...

SAB