Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson 1911 40SW SSC?

North

Ouch that seems high for a Dan Wesson

Im sure they are OK guns, but I always understood them to be a value buy, like my back up (Taurus) to my back up (Kimber) gun for single stack and it was $597 out the door tax and all

How about putting the same money into an STI trojan with a reliability job from Brazos (Bob Londrigan) or Dawson from Dave Dawson. Or get one from Virgil Tripp for that matter.

Then your gun will be set up right and run well too.

You would probably be about even on cost

Im sure they are OK guns, but I always understood them to be a value buy, like my back up (Taurus) to my back up (Kimber) gun for single stack and it was $597 out the door tax and all

How about putting the same money into an STI trojan with a reliability job from Brazos (Bob Londrigan) or Dawson from Dave Dawson. Or get one from Virgil Tripp for that matter.

Thanks, but I was actually looking for first hand accounts.

Thanks, but I was actually looking for first hand accounts.

I don't own the .40, but I have the .45 and it looks like the same frame.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product...oducts_id/53554

The pros of the Dan Wesson are quite a few:

• It has one of the tightest slide to frame fits I have seen.
  • It runs 100% out of the box.
  • They use all Ed Brown parts.
  • Nice trigger job out of the box, not competition trigger
  • It has the fit and finish of a custom gun.
  • IMHO, better than Kimber.

The cons that I found are:

• Loose barrel bushing. It is also a blued bushing on a SS slide. I replaced mine.
  • The front strap is very low, needs to much higher. I ended up cutting my frame quite a bit.
  • My ejector and plunger tube came loose after a couple thousand rounds.

I ended up doing quite a bit to mine and now, I love it.

Hope this helps.

"I ended up doing quite a bit to mine and now, I love it."

Now, take this statement, reference post #2, and buy from someone who supports the sport. Like STI.

Ken - It's a 1911, of course it doesn't run out of the box. What were you thinking? :D

My onle experience is with a PM7..

as said..really tight slide/frame/barrel fit.

bomar was milled low and tight, better fit than any other out there for the price,

Had the beavertail and safety I wanted ( ed brown )

trigger was at 2.5# out of the box.

thought it was better value than the STI for my needs.

Dan Wesson is CZ-USA...which is a supporter of USPSA..

"I ended up doing quite a bit to mine and now, I love it."

Now, take this statement, reference post #2, and buy from someone who supports the sport. Like STI.

Ken - It's a 1911, of course it doesn't run out of the box. What were you thinking? :D

What would YOU know about an auto loader anyway? You do realise that technology has moved on from the venerable ole S&W Model 10 right...? :roflol:

Yes, I do realise that CZ owns Dan Wesson, but I see no sponsorship from Dan Wesson, only CZ. That may be nit picking, but it's my view. Now S_I, Brazos, Dawson, Triangle, EGW, and so on, yeah, see the the banners at most major matches, vendor tables, ect. I've not seen a "Dan Wesson" banner or sponsored shooter yet. Now, feel free to correct me if I'm talking outta my butt here, but can you see where I'm coming from?

Seems like all the CZ shirts I see running around, and match banners, all seem to have "Dan Wessson" on them too. <_<

See attached.

How 'bout this logic: Lets support all the vendors who support the sport, especially the more mainstream ones.... instead of just a chosen few. Maybe if more people used off the shelf guns from other non-race oriented maufacturers there would be more interest in making guns that meet our needs, at better price points?

Just seems like somethings wrong when the only answer people recommend for a SS .40 costs a grand and then you have to send it a gunsmith (who used to own the company that made it) and drop another couple hundred $ just to get it to run reliably.

I've heard great things about the Dan wesson 1911s, both pre and post CZ, and would look real close at one of these if I had a SS need. JMHO.

post-1837-1217271506.jpg

Edited by sfinney

I love my Dan Wesson PM7. I've had some work done to it, but it was to add some trigger parts, upgrades etc. Out of the box it ran without any issues. Now that I have found ammo it likes, it's ran quite well. I firmly believe it's one of the best bang for your buck going for a 1911 .45. I picked mine up for $820 new.

Now if only I can get the shooter up to par we may have something.

dw009.jpg

I have personally held this gun at my local gunstore and it was awesome. The features and fit for the money cannot be beat. Sights, trigger, grips, and magwell that should put you in a place to be very competitive with this gun. If funds were better I would probably buy it. Check out www.whittakerguns.com and give them a call on price. It is the cheapest I have seen the SSC.

I got a DW Patriot when they first came out ($750 out the door) and it has been a great firearm. The only thing I had done was to polish the feed ramp. Runs like a champ. I dont know much about them since CZ bought them out. It would be fun to try there .40 guns.

(thats it in my avitar with its rattlesnake skin grips)

Edited by snertley

I have a DW Commander Bobtail in 10mm as my everyday carry gun. I think I paid $929 for it a year ago and it has been the best money I've spent on a gun. The slide was scarry tight (considering it's stainless) and the barrel lock up was unreal. It had that nice little "hitch" like most custom guns have when they're built. I think it was a real bargain considering the front strap checkering, night sights, bobtail, and all of the Ed Brown components that are in it.

I've put 200 rounds of CorBon DPX through it without a problem. The gun didn't seem to like the Double Tap ammo, but considering the other problems I've found with that ammo I don't hold that against it. :D I also bought a Storm Lake drop in 40 barrel to practice with. With that barrel in the gun, it will outshoot any gun I own off of a rest.

If I had to rate the gun, I would give a 9 out of 10. I had two complaints that I emailed DW about. One is that the 10mm should have a fully ramped barrel instead of the unramped barrel, and two, front serrations would have been nice but not a big deal. If the 10 came with a ramped barrel I'd give it a 10.

Here's a video of me shooting it at a club match. You'll notice a mag hiccup on one stage. Those were well abused, really old 10mm mags I got for free. The gun has never given me a problem with the factory mags or the 9 rounder I bought new, all Chip McCormick.

VIDEO

post-1423-1217536877.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

MTrout40 I also shoot a 10mm in USPSA since 95, wouldn't shoot anything else but mine is not single stack friendly bull barrel ect. been looking at the Dan Wesson bob 10 for quite a while after watching your video I'm going to go for it. Now I can single stack and L10. Like the 40 drop in too. Were you shooting it in the video?

I have a DW Commander Bobtail in 10mm as my everyday carry gun. I think I paid $929 for it a year ago and it has been the best money I've spent on a gun. The slide was scarry tight (considering it's stainless) and the barrel lock up was unreal. It had that nice little "hitch" like most custom guns have when they're built. I think it was a real bargain considering the front strap checkering, night sights, bobtail, and all of the Ed Brown components that are in it.

I've put 200 rounds of CorBon DPX through it without a problem. The gun didn't seem to like the Double Tap ammo, but considering the other problems I've found with that ammo I don't hold that against it. :D I also bought a Storm Lake drop in 40 barrel to practice with. With that barrel in the gun, it will outshoot any gun I own off of a rest.

If I had to rate the gun, I would give a 9 out of 10. I had two complaints that I emailed DW about. One is that the 10mm should have a fully ramped barrel instead of the unramped barrel, and two, front serrations would have been nice but not a big deal. If the 10 came with a ramped barrel I'd give it a 10.

Here's a video of me shooting it at a club match. You'll notice a mag hiccup on one stage. Those were well abused, really old 10mm mags I got for free. The gun has never given me a problem with the factory mags or the 9 rounder I bought new, all Chip McCormick.

VIDEO

Yeah, I had the 40 barrel in for the match. I carry it in 10 and I'll shoot 10's at a local action shoot that only has one stage. Otherwise, I practice with it and shoot USPSA with the 40 barrel. I want to shoot more SSD in the future and I'm so sold on the DW Bobtail, I may buy the 5" 10mm, drop a 40 barrel in it and go rip on it.

And I'm with you on the 10 thing......a 1911 in that caliber is hard to beat for personal protection!

MTrout40 I also shoot a 10mm in USPSA since 95, wouldn't shoot anything else but mine is not single stack friendly bull barrel ect. been looking at the Dan Wesson bob 10 for quite a while after watching your video I'm going to go for it. Now I can single stack and L10. Like the 40 drop in too. Were you shooting it in the video?

VIDEO

• 2 weeks later...

I own a couple of DW single stacks, 10mm and 45. the guns are fit very well with excellent finish and ed brown parts. a step up from a similar springfield or trojan. I have owned or currently own those as well. i would highly recommend them.

• 1 month later...

I have both a Trojan and an SSC, so here goes

Trojan (added magwell and dawson FO front sight $1055)

- smoothest action right out of the box

- tight pistol

- accurate (had to sight it in)- i shot off a rest when I bought it (3 yrs ago) and got around 1.75" with factory 230gr

- had to go back to STI due to incorrect feed ramp angle...their words as to why it was feeding poorly (fixed it and had it back in 10 days runs great since)

- took about 1000 rounds to break in

- finish holds up to kydex ( it's my IDPA CDP gun)

SSC (added nothing $1160)

- very tight (tighter than the Trojan) - including a tight bushing

- accurate did not have to touch the sights out of the box 15 yrds poa is poi

- have had a couple of failure to return to battery...but then again it only has about 300 rounds in it

- has a snappy recoil, muzzle flips more than the trojan (I'm going to try to help this with by testing different recoil springs)

for me it's a toss up.

Also, who cares what shirts you see at a match...who care about the sponsors...I see a lot of Under Armour shirts....it doesn't make the DW any less of a fine pistol.

LL

LL I am like you - I could care less about who "sponsors the sport". You are paying for that "sponsorship" everytime you purchase one of their guns. STI tacks on an additional percentage to the cost of their guns to cover that expense.

I purchased a dan Wesson Pointman Major in 45ACP several years ago - the blued steel version. It was a fantastic bargain right out of the box - tight slide/frame fit, excellent trigger, great sights. I purchased another in 45 ACP and then another with both 9mm and 40 S&W slides 7 barrels. The have functioned flawlessly with the exception og the 9mm which does not do well with truncated cone or flat point bullets. With RN FMJ's the 9mm also functions flawlessly. I believe the early Dan Wesson were an exceptional bargain.

• 1 year later...

I love my Dan Wesson PM7. I've had some work done to it, but it was to add some trigger parts, upgrades etc. Out of the box it ran without any issues. Now that I have found ammo it likes, it's ran quite well. I firmly believe it's one of the best bang for your buck going for a 1911 .45. I picked mine up for $820 new.

Now if only I can get the shooter up to par we may have something.

dw009.jpg

I have been admiring your Dan Wesson. Very Nice Job!

I'm getting ready to pick one up, and wondered if you could send me some information on the modifications you made. Specifically the front FO Sight, arched MSH, mag well adapter, grips, and mag release extender. I appreciate the information and anything else on the PM7 you have done, like or dislike.

Thanks,

I've got a Dan Wesson SSC, and a Valor. Both are very nice guns, but I like the SSC best. I've put A LOT of bullets through the 40, and haven't had one problem from it. I would'nt hesitate recommending it to anyone.