Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Intent of THIS Forum

Flexmoney

Just a reminder that the intent of Brian's Forum is:

Intent

This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.)

There are a lot of reasons to come here (to post and/or read), we seldom have much trouble (moderator-wise) with people that are checking in here with the above in mind. Sometimes some of the other "stuff" gets in the way of the intent here...and it pushes people away that would like to come here to talk about improving the shooting.

Please post with the above intent in mind. :cheers:

Due to the recent increase in political threads/posts, I thought this would be a good place for this.

My Forum is not political (the practice of governing and managing of public affairs by groups of people). The Forum only "appears" public - as long as you abide by its guidelines. I determine "our" policies, and the people (Moderators) who help me enforce them. So in that sense it's more of a autocracy (government by one person having unlimited power).

;)

If you are sitting with me on my front porch and bring up what it is commonly referred to as a "political topic," I may ask you to keep it to yourself. If you can't do that I will ask you to leave. And I probably won't ask you to come back and visit with me and my friends on my porch again.

Please keep the Forum Guidelines in mind at all times. Especially while you're on the Forum.

:)

Thank you,

Brian

I don't know if it helps to hear it, but I very much appreciate that aspect of this forum. Political/religious arguments are like blades of grass on the internet, it's comforting to find a bare patch every now and then.

H.

I believe that we are at a (new) juncture within the forum, and we have the opportunity to create a (new) precedent. This forum is about becoming a better shooter and all of the knowledge that is needed to do so. With this forum we have guidelines to curb the extemporaneous bs that floods all other forums. If someone feels that his need to talk about political bs is more important than his/her need to share shooting knowledge, then he/she needs to take a walk. There are THOUSANDS of other places to bitch about politics, IDPA, USPSA, homosexuals.....on and on. THIS place is not such an arena for bitching or said cometary.

I believe that we are at a (new) juncture within the forum, and we have the opportunity to create a (new) precedent. This forum is about becoming a better shooter and all of the knowledge that is needed to do so. With this forum we have guidelines to curb the extemporaneous bs that floods all other forums. If someone feels that his need to talk about political bs is more important than his/her need to share shooting knowledge, then he/she needs to take a walk. There are THOUSANDS of other places to bitch about politics, IDPA, USPSA, homosexuals.....on and on. THIS place is not such an arena for bitching or said cometary.

Your avatar and the commentary underneath it really helps to further the seriousness of your posting.

If I had a long driving lane that, over time, became riddled with pot holes and I was tired of my replacing the shocks and fixing my alignment, I think I'd fill the pot holes.

Really? I think I'd drive on a different road if I didn't like it that much....

If I had a long driving lane that, over time, became riddled with pot holes and I was tired of my replacing the shocks and fixing my alignment, I think I'd fill the pot holes.

And if it ain't your road, you don't have the right to "fix" it.

One person's ruts and bumps are another's country lane charm. :rolleyes:

Brian and Flex,

Thanks for the post. I know I need reminding occasionally to keep my nose clean.

I don't know if its possible but as a suggestion, you might take the original post and Brians reply and set it up so that the next time one logs on the forum, it would be a required read. Just a kinda "read it and heed it" type thing on a one time basis. I know that if I miss a day on the forum (oh the pain) I occasionally miss something important.

Just a thought. Worth everything you paid for it :cheers:

thanks again

dj

Let me jump in here real quick...

What might be missing from this picture, for some, is perspective. When the moderating team has to take action it is often taken...and the person that committed the violation is pulled aside with an explanation of what happened and why...along with a reminder of the forum rules.

We don't try to call attention to it, nor do we air much of the dirty laundry out on the forum. The casual forum member will likely never know anything has happened. The hard-core forum member may realize that something has happened, but they likely don't know the how's and why's...as Paul Harvey would say...the rest of the story.

As of this version of the forum software, there have been 17,476 moderator activities performed to date. (and that is not the whole store either).

I'm not sure how some will take that number. Know that we have, and will, run a moderated forum...with rules. We put out the fault lines...define the shooting area...and give the expectations.

The moderating team is volunteer staff, just like the people running most of the matches that you attend.

The rules here haven't changed. And, while we go through (in my opinion) periods of tightening and loosening, the rules aren't selectively enforced. And, of course, some things attract the eye, while others slip under the radar (at least for a while).

We have a good group of members here. We are going to get varied topics and discussions (which is fine). We do want to remember the intent of the forum...improving the shooting. That is the road we need to keep the car on.

And just in case anyone's curious that works out to about one in 43.5 posts that have some kind of moderation going on. The real number is likely a bit lower --- because if we move a post to the admin forum to talk about it and then restore it, that requires two moderator activities. In a similar vein, we sometimes close and then reopen threads, often after removing a few posts, or after spinning a bunch of posts off into their own separate threads. Then there's double and triple taps that get deleted, when someone's internet service acts up.....

The math also works out to about 203 mod actions per month (Forum inception May 2001 -- 86 months ago) or about 7 actions per day. That's not a lot of moderation when you consider that we're averaging about 294 posts a day --- so we're taking some kind of action on about 2%. (The real number of daily posts is likely a bit higher now, because in the beginning 30-40 new posts a day was a lot...)

"And just in case anyone's curious that works out to about one in 43.5 posts that have some kind of moderation going on. The real number is likely a bit lower --- because if we move a post to the admin forum to talk about it and then restore it, that requires two moderator activities. In a similar vein, we sometimes close and then reopen threads, often after removing a few posts, or after spinning a bunch of posts off into their own separate threads. Then there's double and triple taps that get deleted, when someone's internet service acts up.....

The math also works out to about 203 mod actions per month (Forum inception May 2001 -- 86 months ago) or about 7 actions per day. That's not a lot of moderation when you consider that we're averaging about 294 posts a day --- so we're taking some kind of action on about 2%. (The real number of daily posts is likely a bit higher now, because in the beginning 30-40 new posts a day was a lot...)"

God, I love statistics! :wub:

Not my lane, my car or my potholes. ;)

...And I probably won't ask you to come back and visit with me and my friends on my porch again...

If I'm ever in AZ I hope I get invited over to visit on the porch! Gotta stay out of trouble! :ph34r: I'll even bring the :cheers:

...And I probably won't ask you to come back and visit with me and my friends on my porch again...

If I'm ever in AZ I hope I get invited over to visit on the porch! Gotta stay out of trouble! :ph34r: I'll even bring the :cheers:

:D

Hope to meet Brian someday to thank him for the work he puts in here :) Maybe a get together for Area2 this year?

Intent

This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.)

+1, cut the crap and let's talk about shooting and how to shoot better!

Sandro