Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A new appreciation

Merlin Orr

I am nearing completion of my first complete stand alone build of a 2011. While I have done 1911s I now feel I just thought I knew something about building a gun...... The scale of difficulty is on a totally different level with a pile of 2011 parts and Nothing that will go together without being measured, machined, tweaked, filed and polished. The slide fitting and barrel install, then getting the lockup and timing correct is something that definitely takes more than a little understanding to do correctly. I have survived all of this and if I can get the trigger job done I will be ready for my blueing tank.....

What a nice feeling....... :)

Merlin: Welcome to the club :cheers: I have built 3 lowers and 5 top ends for my 2011's. The best part is all the parts are interchangeable. The one 2011 has a 9mm, 40S&W and 45acp top end. The worst part is buying all the mags. Now you have to go out and shoot that puppy. Let me know on the blueing. Thanks, Eric

Amen Merlin. The guy that bought a good accurate, reliable and nice looking 2011 has a really hard time appreciating exactly what goes into one. Takes me 45-50 hours to build one, but to get near perfect that is just how long it takes. To do anything less would be cutting corners.

well......

break some pics out merlin! I'm dying to see! you gonna let benny do the trigger to be safe? I too would leave it to a pro. congrats man. let me know when you want to sell it for $1000. :roflol: $1100 w your autograph <_<

well......

break some pics out merlin! I'm dying to see! you gonna let benny do the trigger to be safe? I too would leave it to a pro. congrats man. let me know when you want to sell it for $1000. :roflol: $1100 w your autograph <_<

I would offer $200...... ;) But then again I tend to offer too much for a deal....

JS

im suprised Merlin hasnt chimed in about this $200 dollar deal

I had my hands on the gun this past weekend and its a fine piece of work.... Great job Merlin.... Cant wait to see the finished product....

then I'll have to say I'll give you $201 for it.... ROFL

I blued the frame as a temporary thing. It will be hard chromed top and bottom someday soon....

A tad over 35oz.... I tried to make it very similar to Kurt Miller's Fat Free - one of - if not the first Benny Built bushing barrel Fat Frees ever built...

I have to add a huge thanks to Benny for all the thwacks on the head as he coached me during the build.... B)

324933549_WV6EB-M.jpg

324933328_wUosU-M.jpg

Thanks to all for the most generous offers of purchase...however, as this is My first solo build I feel it would be an injustice to foist this gun off on some unsuspecting person.....

I'll just hang onto it... :closedeyes:

In a place where very nice preformace pistols with a little edge to them are the rule rather than the exception Merlin has built himself a nice pistol that fits the pattern well. Above what you would expext with a first effort. Good job.----------Larry

We test fired it yesterday after lunch. Flawless from the first round. Thats not unusual around here. Merlin tore it down, scrubbed it down and chuncked in the blue tank.-----------Larry

Atta Boy! Congratulation to father and gun!

:cheers: