Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Pistol Arrived Today

RangerTrace

Well after about 10 weeks, my full custom limited pistol in .40 S&W arrived today and I am VERY happy with the results. I was asked to keep it "under the radar" so I won't "repeat" who built the pistol, but I let it slip in a previous post.

Anyway, it looks and feels great. The following is a brief description:

Built on an STI slide and frame with full length dust cover

French border with front and rear cocking serrations

Schuemann Ultimatch bull barrel

Flat top serrated slide

Rear serrations to include extractor and ejector

Hard chrome on entire pistol

Builders logo on the left side of the slide

My initials on the right side of the slide

2.75 pound trigger

Fiber optic front sight

Ed Brown Ambi safety

Recoil master guide rod

I can't hardly wait to take it to the range. I read a little bit about the barrel on the Schuemann webite and had a little question about cleaning. The maker of the barrel seems to indicate he wouldn't put anything but bullets through the barrel. Does anyone have additional input on barrel cleaning? I've certainly been going to much greater lengths to clean my barrels in the past!!

Unless you are shooting lead listen to Will, clean the chamber, you might run a dry patch thur it from time to time. If you are shooting lead you need to keep an eye on it to make sure it dosent lead up.----------Larry

Just guessing but I would figure the guy who designed, manufactured and sells the barrels probably has a clue as to how to treat them. ;)

I agree with you Merlin, it just goes against 17 years of prior instruction. I plan to do EXACTLY what he advises. I just wanted to see what some of you more experienced guys had to say.

I have guns with Scheuman barrels that have some thousands of rounds of Precision Black bullets and a lot of Laser Cast bullets down the tube with no cleanings...ever. I know my 9mm has a little leading too but I don't touch it and it shoots in little wads when I take time to get a decent hold and squeeze. It was hard for me to get past and give up the the cleaning ritual - but I did long ago with no apparent ill effects.....

(insert shrugging shoulders icon)

I have guns with Scheuman barrels that have some thousands of rounds of Precision Black bullets and a lot of Laser Cast bullets down the tube with no cleanings...ever. I know my 9mm has a little leading too but I don't touch it and it shoots in little wads when I take time to get a decent hold and squeeze. It was hard for me to get past and give up the the cleaning ritual - but I did long ago with no apparent ill effects.....

Ditto. My SV LDC has a couple of thousand of precision black bullets with little cleaning. No ill effects here too.

:surprise:

You guys should listen to Wil Schueman, he knows whats going on= go to his website and read

the write up he has on barrels.

I sometimes tease and say" you dont have to be a rocket scientist" to work on these guns=

Wil Schumann is retired from Nasa and is a true rocket scientist.

I have followed his lead on these barrels, I have a limited gun that is about 13 years old

and has at least 80.000 rounds through the barrel thats in it and Ive never ran anything through

it but bullets and when I shoot lead I pull a lewis lead remover through it about once a year.

Jim

Sailors Custom :sight::blink:

Ditto. My SV LDC has a couple of thousand of precision black bullets with little cleaning. No ill effects here too.

Are the black precision bullets the same as the "molly" coated bullets Wil talks about on his site? If so, it sounds like they could cause premature barrel wear.

from precisions website. It maybe similar to moly just tougher.

: What is the coating?

A: We use a proprietary solid dry film lubricant. This is similar to the moly/poly coatings on the market but is much tougher. We bake the coating onto the bullets, then restrike the bullets in carbide dies after the coating is applied

Edited by bulm540

A little off topic: How do you clean just the chamber?

I know that Wilson makes a 45 chamber brush. In fact....

Yup...Brian has it in his store:

http://www.brianenos.com/store/wilson.html#brush

Chamber Brush - 45 ACP

Powder residue, lead and bullet lubrication can get packed in your barrel's chamber, causing feeding and extraction malfunctions. (And a bore brush is too small and fliimsy to adequately clean the chamber.) This tough tool has a sturdy Delrin handle and very stiff stainless bristles to thoroughly clean the chamber.

Qty:

Price: $9.95

Price: $10.95

• 3 weeks later...

As of today, I have put about 750 rounds through this pistol without a single malfunction. The magazines have even been 100% so far. I ordered an additional one from Brownells and it works just as good at the ones that came with the pistol. Granted the mag capacity is not near what HSMITH's are (I hope Santa will bring me a 5 pack of his mags) but at my level, I just wants the mags to work...

Anyway, I've extremely happy with the pistol. It is nice to know that for the most part, all I have to do is work on my skills and not worry about a sub-par pistol giving me problems. VIRGIL TRIPP-YOU ARE THE MAN!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I've added dryfire and a timer to my training. I've read Brians book and I'm currently reading Saul's book (Thinking Practical Shooting). And I'm shooting as much as I can. Hopefully one day I can use this pistol to its full potential!

Edited by rangertrace

As of today, I have put about 750 rounds through this pistol without a single malfunction. The magazines have even been 100% so far. I ordered an additional one from Brownells and it works just as good at the ones that came with the pistol. Granted the mag capacity is not near what HSMITH's are (I hope Santa will bring me a 5 pack of his mags) but at my level, I just wants the mags to work...

Anyway, I've extremely happy with the pistol. It is nice to know that for the most part, all I have to do is work on my skills and not worry about a sub-par pistol giving me problems. VIRGIL TRIPP-YOU ARE THE MAN!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I've added dryfire and a timer to my training. I've read Brians book and I'm currently reading Saul's book (Thinking Practical Shooting). And I'm shooting as much as I can. Hopefully one day I can use this pistol to its full potential!

C that's what I call a blaster. Very nice and enjoy! :cheers:

• 1 month later...
Well after about 10 weeks, my full custom limited pistol in .40 S&W arrived today and I am VERY happy with the results. I was asked to keep it "under the radar" so I won't "repeat" who built the pistol, but I let it slip in a previous post.

Anyway, it looks and feels great. The following is a brief description:

Built on an STI slide and frame with full length dust cover

French border with front and rear cocking serrations

Schuemann Ultimatch bull barrel

Flat top serrated slide

Rear serrations to include extractor and ejector

Hard chrome on entire pistol

Builders logo on the left side of the slide

My initials on the right side of the slide

2.75 pound trigger

Fiber optic front sight

Ed Brown Ambi safety

Recoil master guide rod

I can't hardly wait to take it to the range. I read a little bit about the barrel on the Schuemann webite and had a little question about cleaning. The maker of the barrel seems to indicate he wouldn't put anything but bullets through the barrel. Does anyone have additional input on barrel cleaning? I've certainly been going to much greater lengths to clean my barrels in the past!!

Sounds like you have a good gun. I would like to know how you like the barrel. I have a KKM .40 cal.