Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9mm Pro: Initial thoughts and observations

mike cyrwus

Sorry, way too small as in length, not size of FO. We are replacing it with a custom made one that copies the Brazos microdot. He likes the small dot, skinny blade, long FO.

Darn.... Happen to know the height of the front sight on the Pro?

ETA: Just saw in another thread that the height on the 9L is .190; would the Pro be different since the rear is different?

Edited by j2fast

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sight I took off is .18. Hope this helps.

It does, thanks for the info and the pic. I've got a couple extra micodots in the parts box that I believe are .200. I was bouncing around in my head the idea that maybe I could modify one to fit the Pro. It may not be a viable plan but I have enough tools to be dangerous..... :D:lol:

Edited by j2fast

MIke,

My 9L front sight was a .190. It actually struck a little low for me and the POI was below the top of the front sight. I filled down the top to a .180 and it is pretty close to being dead on. I got Kenny's F/O front and it is a .181 high and hits perfect now. Great sight by the way, just like all the other fronts Kenny has done for me.

I got my Pro a couple of weeks ago, my front sight was off-center also, it shot to the right about 3 inches. I made the adjustment, and now I'm dead on. I think I'll replace it though with a .100 wide dawson with .040 fiber. The gun shot well, and accurate .929 best 5 shot group with avg. of 1.2 inches at 15yds with my 124jhp reloads. The trigger was really gritty and heavy, but after I did the trigger job per the pdf file, it is fine now. I have it set at 4#, it will get better as I shoot it like my other M&P's which are at 3# 6oz. I have some grip inserts for my Ransom rest coming and plan to do a thourough test of all 3 M&P's then and post the results. I do like my Pro better than my custom XD tactical and my G34.

I picked up my 9L tonight and will head to the range tomorrow if the thunderstorms hold off. It's definitely going to require a trigger job, but that's no big surprise (I didn't think it would be over 8#'s, but that will be fixed soon enough.)

I picked the L over the Pro because the L is already on the IPSC production list, and the Pro is specifically exluded. That probably wont make a difference to the USPSA, but why take the chance.

If you don't mind me asking where did you get it?

THanks

Nick

I contacted several of the gun shops around town. Dean at Shooters Express was the only one who was at all helpful. (Everyone else just said to keep calling every week to see if they had one in stock.) It took him about a week, but he found it somewhere. I prefer giving my money to someone willing to put a little effort into making a customer happy.

Scott

I picked the L over the Pro because the L is already on the IPSC production list, and the Pro is specifically exluded. That probably wont make a difference to the USPSA, but why take the chance.

Doesn't IPSC have a 5# minimum trigger rule for Production? I guess that's why the Pro would be excluded...

MIke,

My 9L front sight was a .190. It actually struck a little low for me and the POI was below the top of the front sight. I filled down the top to a .180 and it is pretty close to being dead on. I got Kenny's F/O front and it is a .181 high and hits perfect now. Great sight by the way, just like all the other fronts Kenny has done for me.

Just miked it last night.

The M&P9 Pro has a front sight of .176" (basically the same as the Dawson .180" front, thats actually a little short and about .176" also.

Does the M&P9L use a normal rear sight? Looks like it.

Anyone got a line on Mags yet?

The place where I bought the gun had them in stock. I took 2. I'm not sure how many they had left.

www.shootersexpress.com

Edited by sperman

I shot my M&P9L tonight with a Speed Shooters Specialties .195" high x .115" wide serrated front sight with 115gr FMJ American Eagle and 147gr JHP Atlanta Arms Ammo. With the 147gr it hit about 1" high at 15yds, 115gr FMJ AE it hit about 1" low at 15yds. 115gr was poa/poi at 25yds, 147gr was about 1/2" high.

Edited by gotm4

gotM4,

How tall is the rear sight on the L ?

IIRC same as all other M&P of all calibers.

OK, Im confused; the stock front sight for all the 4" M&P's are all .160" tall.

IF the M&P9L comes with a .190 sight, and you prefer a .195" from Kenny; then the 5" M&P's hold to a different point of aim, since you said the L comes with a stock rear.

the weird part is that I swapped out the sights off of my Pro for a 10-8 rear and .160 tall front (same sight sizes as the stock 4" setup) and its perfect at 20yds.

Why am I confused?

gotM4,

How tall is the rear sight on the L ?

IIRC same as all other M&P of all calibers.

OK, Im confused; the stock front sight for all the 4" M&P's are all .160" tall.

IF the M&P9L comes with a .190 sight, and you prefer a .195" from Kenny; then the 5" M&P's hold to a different point of aim, since you said the L comes with a stock rear.

the weird part is that I swapped out the sights off of my Pro for a 10-8 rear and .160 tall front (same sight sizes as the stock 4" setup) and its perfect at 20yds.

Why am I confused?

I'll double check with the guns at work, but I've never seen a difference in rear sight height across the models.

Standard size M&P have .160" tall front sights

M&P9Ls have .180" tall front sights

Standard size M&P have .160" tall front sights

M&P9Ls have .180" tall front sights

gotM4,

I posted a question on the M&P forums on this, but...

With your Warren rear sight and standard .180 front where was the gun hitting? If it was slightly high (2"-3") I think I'd prefer it that way over POA=POI at 25 yards that you were able to achieve with the .195 front/Warren rear combo. I also read that you tried it with a Warren front .160 and it was 8" high at 25 yards. On my standard gun with a .160 front FO the Warren rear made it hit just slightly higher than the factory rear (which I prefer).

Thanks.

what is the going price for the 9 pro?

When they had them in stock they were $599 shipped from Budsgunshop.com (+ transer to FFL).

Local dealer has a 9L for $540 (tax but no transfer fee) and I don't have to wait so I may go that rout.

OK, heres the deal with the sights;

All factory M&P rear sights are about .240" high

(the stock 2 dot sights mic out to .236", the Target type Novak sight found only on the M&P Pro is .239")

The sights on the 9mm Pro and L (longslides) are .180", .02" taller than the normal factory front sights, which are .160"

reports of .190" front sights might be from measuring when installed, and there being a gap between blade and slide.