Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Windows Vista!

JThompson

I disagree as I have had no issues with my Vista as it has run solid and fast from day 1.

I have not had one single crash , error or the like and I even am running software not fully tested for Vista.

Everyone has their opinion....

I have had Vista for about 6 months and they have only recently got the majority of the bugs out.

Unfortunately, the majority of the stuff in the video is based on truth...

I disagree as I have had no issues with my Vista as it has run solid and fast from day 1.

I have not had one single crash , error or the like and I even am running software not fully tested for Vista.

Everyone has their opinion....

I am with you AZ and I am a computer dope! I bought a machine designed and built to run Vista and it works perfectly.

I've loaded 3 year old software and have plugged anything in any port and it just flat works.

Just lucky I guess.

Patrick

I've been on both sides of this issue. When I first got the Toshiba with Vista it ran fine. It totally puked one day running a graphic program, the restore CD has a corrupt file from the OEM and rather than wait for weeks for a replacement I bought a vanilla version at my friendly neighborhood computer store. That version has worked just fine for months without a problem. Simple is better.

I have a much harder time trying to get the weed eater going than a Vista PC.

One of the computers on our network runs Vista. Seems to work reasonably well with the following exceptions:

1) the big brother type messages asking if "we really won't to do something?". Figured out how to turn those off, but now we get the message at boot up that the pc is not fully protected ( or something to that effect) and do we want to correct it?

I guess this is MS's answer to the numerous viruses and malware flaoting around, they could not defend against it, so put the onus of protection on the ps user.

2) the pc will lose internet connectivity at random and all at once. IE 7 will simply clock will trying to connect to a page. Re-starting IE 7 does not fix it, the pc has to be re-booted. This does not happen to any of the other 4 pc's ( XP based) on our network, so I am making the assumption it is a Vista issue.

All in all, Vista seems OK, I can live with #1, but I really wish a patch would arrive for #2. The apps we run on our network pc work both on Vista and XP, so from our standpoint, Vista is OK. It was the only operating system available when we bought this pc, although I see now Dell offers pc's with XP.

...It was the only operating system available when we bought this pc, although I see now Dell offers pc's with XP.

... only until June 18th!

Ed

hmm, MS really wants to get people on Vista, don't they? Or it is a Dell sales tactics to increase June sales. :mellow:

Cactus,

Can't remember the proper way to fix #1 it was so long ago, if you did a simple search you can find it.

I don't get the message after I turned it off.

I have never had an issue like #2 so I would look at other possibilities instead of thinking it is a Vista issue.

Cactus,

Can't remember the proper way to fix #1 it was so long ago, if you did a simple search you can find it.

I have never had an issue like #2 so I would look at other possibilities instead of thinking it is a Vista issue.

We turned off the reminders for #1 a long time ago, just get the not fully protected notice when re-booting.

On the lost connectivity, we have switched to several different connections on the wall jacks, switched rooter ports via the cabling, etc. It also happened when I connected wireless as a test. None of the other computers on the network have this "feature", so I would be curious as to what else could be a possible suspect.

Cactus, I would be interested if you ever find out the answer to #2, my wifes's laptop does that also just will lose the connection and it is the only one with vista out of 3 computers. I know she is usually wireless so don't know if that helps or hurts. Aside from that she hasn't had a problem with vista

Kevin

Cactus,

We turned off the reminders for #1 a long time ago, just get the not fully protected notice when re-booting.

On the lost connectivity, we have switched to several different connections on the wall jacks, switched rooter ports via the cabling, etc. It also happened when I connected wireless as a test. None of the other computers on the network have this "feature", so I would be curious as to what else could be a possible suspect.

Try turning off powersaving on the NIC. Sometimes this cures the problem you are having.

Control Panel, click on Network and Sharing Center, click on View Status, Click on Properties, Click on Configure, Click on Power Management, from here there should be No Checkmarks.

Power Saving Features:

From: Control Panel, click on Power Options and set these options to Never.

If that doesn't work try this:

One of the many issues with this OS it that it assumes all hardware will know, or care, that Vista is the OS. Vista makes many assumptions which cause problems for users. The main issue is compatibility both with the hardware in the computer and outside it. For instance your router in this case. Thanks MS for making me buy another piece of hardware when I use your OS. :o

Check this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932134

Edited by JThompson

Made the changes are recommended. I will let it run for a week or so and report back on if anything works differently.

I did briefly scan the article and they recommend that the router be re-booted when there is an issue. We have just been re-booting the pc, so hopefully the router is not part of the "feature".

...It was the only operating system available when we bought this pc, although I see now Dell offers pc's with XP.

... only until June 18th!

Ed

hmm, MS really wants to get people on Vista, don't they? Or it is a Dell sales tactics to increase June sales. :mellow:

Industry-wide cutoff of factory-loaded XP unless Microsoft extends the deadline...

I have a number of XP and Vista PCs (plus some Linux and such). Vista rocks for some features and blows for others vs XP.

Don't know if you guys even noticed but some of Vista's features were copied from Mac's OS X, especailly the Ulitimate edition. Nevertheless, I find Vista to be the most solid and stable OS Microsoft ever came out with. Installation is much quicker a lot of things are automated and a more extensive driver list. But I still use my Mac more :ph34r:

Funny HP is using a Linux partition to run some of their apps. lol I wonder if that's cause the bloated Vista takes a screaming dual to run it worth a damn.

Edited by JThompson