Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Had to put cat to sleep

AzShooter

Yesterday I had to take my cat "Sunshine" to the vet to be put to sleep. It had cancer and developed a kidney infection within the last week. Since it's been throwing up every day and couldn't eat or drink it was better for the cat to see it go.

I swear it knew what was happening. Especially at the end when they put the cathetor in it to be able to inject the final fluid. When they brought the cat out for us to give it our final fairwell it was actually crying.

I've had to put pets to sleep before but never watched and I swear I won't watch again.

Yesterday I had to take my cat "Sunshine" to the vet to be put to sleep. It had cancer and developed a kidney infection within the last week. Since it's been throwing up every day and couldn't eat or drink it was better for the cat to see it go.

I swear it knew what was happening. Especially at the end when they put the cathetor in it to be able to inject the final fluid. When they brought the cat out for us to give it our final fairwell it was actually crying.

I've had to put pets to sleep before but never watched and I swear I won't watch again.

So sorry for your loss. I had to put a cat down during the Christmas holidays and had another kitten die in a freak accident about a month ago. It hurts everytime. I know it's tough being there at the very end, but at least your cat knew that you never abandoned him.

Sorry for your loss(es). Me, I like to give whatever comfort I can in their last moments. One of our dogs is showing extreme signs of age and I am not looking forward to the eventuality. The old guy has had 2 cancer surgeries, although he is tumor-free for 4 years. His quality of life is pretty good for now, and that is what matters.

Lee

So awfully sorry for your loss. We quite often find ourselves having to make sensible and compassionate decisions for our pets, yet it's still a wrenching event even if viewed as inevitable. Truly we and our pets end up loving one another rather profoundly. Take care.

Losing one of the furry family is always hard. However, it is in the cycle of existence.

I'm a bit of the odd one out here. When it's time for one of mine to go, I want to be there for their last moments. We've shared a lot and, to me, being there giving what comfort I can, is the right thing to do.

One of our dogs has cancer also and the day is coming, we just don't know when. It is by far the worst part of pet ownership, but ultimately it is worth it. While it was difficult for you, I think you can take some comfort in knowing that being by her side in the final moments was more comforting to her than being all alone - at least in my opinion. Personally, I think you did the right thing.

Been there and done that. It is no fun. :(

I do think it is better when you are there to comfort an old friend at the end. I lost my bullmastiff last

Fall when I was a 1000 miles away and the friend I had left him with had to take him to the vet and be there when

he was put to sleep. I'd rather it had been me.

I think we have to comfort them at the end, especially if they do sense something is coming. It is the worst thing we have to go through, but I know I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I wasn't holding my dogs when they had to die.

Edited by bountyhunter

I've had to have several cats and one dog euthanized, and this responsibility never gets any easier to deal with. In fact, even though I understand I've done the right thing, I still suffer from a feeling of guilt that I betrayed their trust.

Reading this brought up all the old feelings when I held my Rotty, probably the reason I haven't gotten another I get so attached to them.

I've lost so many close friends, and pets. I'm beginning to feel like the last man standing.

I just hope a close friend is holding me when they put me down!

A friend of mine had to put down his dog. He gave it a great weekend of all his favorite unhealthy treats, lots of love, and was with him at the end when he went to sleep, happy, right with there at home in his own bed with his "family" holding him. Said it was hard, but also said the vet told him most people will never be so lucky to leave that well...

"In fact, even though I understand I've done the right thing, I still suffer from a feeling of guilt that I betrayed their trust." - Bingo. A few months back we had to put our golden down. I feel the same way. I knew it was the right thing, but the look in his eyes haunts me, he was always there for me.

AzShooter, I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you for all of your replies. I see there are a lot of pet lovers in here and that we share our compassion and loses.

God bless each of you and best wishes with our "friends" and family members in the future.