Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Had to put cat to sleep

AzShooter

"In fact, even though I understand I've done the right thing, I still suffer from a feeling of guilt that I betrayed their trust." - Bingo. A few months back we had to put our golden down. I feel the same way. I knew it was the right thing, but the look in his eyes haunts me, he was always there for me.
My best buddy was an orange tabby named Fubar. Fubar was so named as when he was young he had several bouts with kidney stones blocking his bladder. The permanent fix was to basically give him a sex change operation. Remove the .. uh .. package and open the urethra. Happy and healthy after the procedure he was full of personality and was with me through thick and thin.

After 15 years of life my girlfriend (now wife) called me while I was out of town. Fubar is in trouble and is in ICU. Got back in town as soon as I could and immediately went to the vet. Renal failure. Probably brought on early due to his bouts with the kidney stones. When I walked into the room the look in his eyes told all. "Please make this go away." With no hope of recovery the choice was clear, although tough. The next day I was with him for his last moments. And I cried. His ashes are still in my nightstand. Haven't found a suitable place that I'd like to call his final resting place. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't do it any other way.

We lost our daughters cat early this year. At her last annual visit the vet said we're on borrowed time. Being 18 we knew it could be any time. Unfortunately Kay-Kay suffered what the vet termed a cerebal event in 4Q '07. Probably a stroke but not exactly sure. It left her blind but she still had some quality of life. As long as we didn't move any furniture or the litter box she got along OK. But in February she suffered a massive cerebal event that left her in convulsions that didn't go away. The choice again was clear. We buried her ashes at my daughters gravesite last April.

Betrayed trust? No way. The other option was not do the right thing and allow them to live with no quality of life and suffer a painful death. Our furry family trusts you to do the right thing from litter to grave. And you did.

I keep telling my wife that I'm tired of burying my animal friends in the backyard. But, we continue to get a new pet.

I guess we love them so because they love us with complete and utter devotion.....

dj