Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Snakes!

trodrig

I hate snakes! Last night the youngest of my 2 Brittanys (Ranger) was struck in the nose by a snake despite snake avoidance training!! It was most likely a Copperhead or a Rattlesnake. We didn't see it happen so we don't know which. He's at the emergency pet hospital right now and we're awaiting the next blood test at 4pm to see how he's responding to the antivenin. Fortunately, the strike wasn't as bad as it could've been and his swelling was not nearly as bad as some stories I've heard. I hate those freaking critters!!! It's not like this happened out while we were running around in the open field! This happened in the fenced in, mowed grass backyard not 30 feet from the back patio! It could've easily been a kid or other person out there! Our dogs are like our 2nd and 3rd children so if he doesn't pull through, this is going to be quite devastating.

The worst part about it is knowing that he's sitting in some unfamiliar kennel all alone with a big cone over his head and tubes stuck into him. I already told my wife that if he looks like he's not going to make it, we're gonna go get him and bring him back out to the ranch where it happened and let him pass doing what he loved best, running around hunting in the open country.

Please send good vibs and a prayer to San Antonio, Tx for Ranger!

Trodrig

Prayers and empathy bro. We just moved to Phoenix with our curious Lab and Aussie. We hike constantly and it is just getting warm enough for those nasty freaking things to come out (the geckos are out and the snakes arrive right after). :angry:

Sounds like a weekend of snake roundup is in order.

FYI, those are the reason more and more people and animals get bit every year. People round up the loud, noisy rattlers and they go to the round up. This leaves the quiet ones to breed. What happens is they breed more quiet ones that don't warn you they are there and more people/animals get bit. And no I'm not pulling this out of my arse I have background in herpetology, and no that doesn't have to do with herpies :rolleyes: .

I'm sorry your dog got bit, you have a lot of powerfully toxic snakes around your area. I'll send my prayers along for your little guy.

It has been my experience that a dog bitten on the head had a better chance and easier recovery than one hit in the chest or neck. It can be a ugly experience but I have seen some make a remarkable come back.---------Larry

Thomas, sorry to hear about Ranger! Best wishes for a speedy recovery. The gunsmith up the road from me has a couple small dogs, some sort of terriers I think. One of them got bit on the nose by a rattler and his head swelled up like a mellon, but he pulled through OK. A few weeks later, I was out there on his berm practicing a bit and heard his dogs barking. I looked over and they had another rattler surrounded. I called off the dogs and yelled to my buddy to bring a shotgun quickly. That snake won't be biting anything again. Damn snakes. The sound of that rattle sends chills up my spine!

My Lab was notorious for sticking his nose into places where it didn't belong. First it was yellow-jacket nests - he tried to dig one up. When he discovered it was a bad idea, he tried running through our back door. I found him with yellow-jackets all over his head. I had to take a towel and wipe them off of him. Shortly after, his head began to swell to the point you could not see his eyes. Off to the vet. the vet gave him an antihistamine shot (I think). The swelling immediately started to go down. A few weeks later, he is back at the back door. Face like a football. He could not see and seemed to be having problems breathing. First thought - "You meathead, don't you ever learn?" Never caught the fact that there were no yellowjackets on him at the time. So, off to the vet..again. Vet laughs and hits him with antihistamine. After a few minutes, nothing happens - swelling seems to be increasing. Vet says, "Wait a minute." He looks at his nose and there is a little bloody hole inside his nostril. Vet shaves his muzzle a little bit and finds the other hole. A big snake popped him. Some IVs and an overnight stay and he was fine. Interesting thing, though, is that the side of nose that was hit turned pink afterward. Of course he did not learn...he continued to mess with snakes after that, though he was a little more careful. Scary thing is that whatever bit him got him in our backyard where my kids play....

Here is a pic of the meathead at the lake (pre-snake bite)...

post-950-1211896752.jpg

Edited by Jack Suber

Thank you SOOO much for all of the support folks! The prayers all helped!! We were able to bring Ranger home late last night. The blood work showed that his clotting times and other indicators were all normal. Little bit of an infection but some antibiotics should knock that out! I think he/we were very lucky in that he didn't get as bad a strike as he could've. Right on his nose there was one good sized puncture wound and one VERY small little pin-prick. I think he maybe got some distance from the snake just in the nick of time and didn't get the full dose of venom! I just hope that this whole experience was enough to squelch his interest in those damn reptiles!! Even still, I'm not taking a chance and am on the hunt for a nearby "de-snakeing" clinic. Both of my dogs have had this done in the past but, obviously they need a refresher!! I wish I could share some pictures of them both but, since we're in between houses right now, all of our stuff is packed up! I found the camera so I'll get some up soon though!

Now we're off to our regular vet for a final check up and a shot of the rattlesnake vaccine! I don't know if it's completely effective, but it can't hurt!!

Thanks again for the support and prayers everyone! Ranger thanks you too! :cheers:

Thomas

Glad to hear your pup is on the mend :cheers:

We had one dog who got rattlesnake bit many many times...she just wouldnt learn <_<

Jim

When I was a kid, my dog which was kept at my granddad's place in East Tx got biten many times by copperheads and moccasins but we had no rattlers...she never learned either, but none of them killed her...just lucky I guess..

Glad to hear Ranger is going better, always hate when something like that happens.

May i suggest a mag full of the CCI shotshells, in 45 they are nasty at 10 feet and even cycle in my Kimber.

Kevin

:blizzard:

Cool deal! Get him to snake school again ASAP. Your Brit's have brains and will catch on. Ax, my Amstaff has much going for him but brains ain't one of them. It's either cactus or scorpions. Red ants or rattlers. Just a matter of time for Axle. Just blind dumb luck so far.

Jim M

Glad to hear the good news!

Can anyone tell me more about the rattlesnake vaccine?

Edit:

Googling found this: http://www.rockspringsranch.com/june05news.htm

Looks pretty effective if you keep up on the shots...

Eric, I'm not going to say it can't work, I just don't see how it can. To me its kind of like vaccinating for a bullet. Venom isn't a bacteria or viral it either breaks down the blood or nervous system. Also, venomous reptiles don't to have inject when they bite, they can give a dry bite. Their venom is very precious to them as that is how they are going to get their next meal. In that Article I would be more willing to say that the dog that got bit and didn't swell up got a dry bite but like I said I don't know enough about it to say its not possible to work, just seems unlikely to me.

Short of a small dog copperheads and cottenmouths aren't going to do a lot to them. Their venom just isn't toxic enough. Cottenmouths sure are the meanest damned snakes I've ever seen though. Rattlers and coral snakes are the most venomous in the US and corals typically are pretty laid back....they can be they are in the same family as the cobras.

sorry for all the snake talk on your post...

Edited by steel1212