Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would happen if a 9mm Major went into a stock Glock?

Madcap Magician

Hey all, just had a question brought up by my curiosity..

With the 9mm Major now in full swing, what would happen if some of these rounds were shot through a stock gun? This isn't something I nor anyone else I know would do on purpose, but what if a few rounds major rounds got mixed into your ammo supply?

Back in the late 1980s or early 1990's I bought a used Glock 17 from a guy who was shooting major 9 at 175 power factor through it. :surprise: This was just before major 9x19 was banned by USPSA. I don't know how many rounds he fired but I'm pretty sure he shot a few matches with it. I have since fired around 100,000 rounds of minor through it.

I would guess nothing would happen. :cheers:

Move along folks. Nothing to see here. :roflol:

The case support on the stock 9mm barrel is quite good.

But to make sure look at your production brass. If it has bulges

at the base, I wouldn't try it.

My buddy who shoots a 9mm CZ tried my 9 major loads in his gun and

it worked fine and felt good. The CZ is a heavy all steel gun though.

I had a box of 50 or so rounds that had lost their "load info". I was pretty sure they were my Major rounds for my Open 9. I ran them at the match (they were Major) in my stock G34 (stock barrel and spring). No worries. Then again, my Major loads are/were probably pretty safe.

I wouldn't make a habit of it. And...I wouldn't do it with your scary loads. (Don't do it on purpose and be sure of your stuff.)

In other words, a +1 to what HSmith said.

Back in those good old days I had a 17 L and fired Major 9 out of it. I put about 40000 round of those loads out of that gun. Then when cleaning it one day I noticed to slots on the barrel were cracked. I put a new barrel in from Glock without the slots and it keep shooting fine until 9 X 19 was outlawed. I then had it reamed to 9X23 and kept right on shooting it.

There was an article in the last Front Sight about Atlanta Arms' new 355 Super ammo. I believe the author fired these out of his Glock but I don't recall what model or chrono info. Anyone know?

I think he is partnered up with SJC out of Georgia.

I would be concerned sticking a long loaded major 9 round into a stock Glock. If it managed to feed out of the magazine, I'm not sure if there is enough chamber length for it. I know my major 9 loads for my SV guns won't chamber into a stock Glock. My concern would be if someone tried to push it and shoved the bullet back into the case. Even if you were still at stock 9mm length pressure would be increased dramatically .

When I started reloading for my 9mm Major Open G17 I noticed that WWB is actually a little over 1.16" OAL or something real close. Of course WWB runs in stock barrels without jamming the bullet back into the case, so I thought I'd be OK loading at 1.155" OAL and using a slow burning powder to manage the case pressure.

I agree with Coltgov, the stock barrels has pretty good support, except for the area under the feed-ramp. I have a KKM drop-in on order now. KKM is what SJC uses, and they say that it has the best support. I'll check it out and let you know.

Not sure why anyone would want to run 9mm Major ammo on a stock glock anyway though... Without a comp it will lack controllability for followup shots.

As Harmond said the Winchester P+P is major and then some. I would think that if a load was short enough to feed thur a glock mag a case full of HS6 and a 124 gr would leave a shocked look on the shooters face, a large fire ball, a hell of a muzzle blast and a bunch of recoil, pistol would be just fine.-----------Larry

I loaded some minor ammo on top of major stuff in a magazine on accident one time. Shot the stage with the fastest time of the day. The peanut gallery was like "your gun got really, really loud" so I checked the mags and sure enough there sat the major rounds. The gun is a G34, stock barrel everything is fine.

Something I do for damage control, provided you actually unload your mags, is load MG 121 IFP for major and MG 124 HP for minor. Minor in green cases, major in blue cases. In theory I have a system of visual redundency.

A couple of years ago when I investigating building a Glock open, I was warned by a reputable Glock Open builder to shoot Major loads only in Glocks with the two pins holding the trigger works. I believe that would be Generation 3 and above.

No one mentioned that in the previous posts. I do not remember "why" , but I think SJC says Generation 3 and above also.

I have a KKM drop-in on order now. KKM is what SJC uses, and they say that it has the best support. I'll check it out and let you know.

Ok. My KKM came and the amount chamber support looks about the same as the stock G34 barrel. In fact, my Briley and LWD barrels look equally supported.

I think I recall an article saying that blow-outs due to non-fully supported chambers was most common on the .40 cal Glocks and that the 9mm is pretty well supported.

Edited by The Outsider

I have a KKM drop-in on order now. KKM is what SJC uses, and they say that it has the best support. I'll check it out and let you know.

Ok. My KKM came and the amount chamber support looks about the same as the stock G34 barrel. In fact, my Briley and LWD barrels look equally supported.

I think I recall an article saying that blow-outs due to non-fully supported chambers was most common on the .40 cal Glocks and that the 9mm is pretty well supported.

To be safe you have to slowly increase your load checking for signs of excess pressure just like you did for your open glock.

Be sure to first throat your barrel so you can load long. This will also lessen the pressure spike since

your round is not up against the rifling. Check for enough throating by spinning your loaded round in the chamber with your finger and

let it drop out on its own. Your chambered round should be loose in there with no sticking.

ive ran them without problems in my glock 34

winchester ranger +P+ 127 grain ammo is major too.

harmon

+1 Harmon

I chronoed some Ranger +P+ 127 grain through a G34 and it was around 1,360 fps. That's the load I carry in all my 9mm

Saw the aftermath of an open glock blowing up this past weekend. Not to worry, Bill will have another by this weekend.

Glock KaBoom! Major 9

What is that thing attached to the rail ??

Something Bill made to add weight to the front of muzzle, recoil control device.

i shoot production, and i help a friend reload major 9 for open. his rounds make about 175pf and sound like a 30-06! i would be scared sh*tless if one of those went through my 34. take it or leave it, but if i fired one i would pull every thing that batch.