Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Outdoor Malls, and Music

benos

We have a gigantic new mall nearby. And none of the stores are connected - each store opens to the parking lot. And the whole place is so huge, unless two stores you go to happen to be next to each other - you drive from store to store!

Who's brilliant idea was that?!

I'm sure there's a "reason" - but I still hate it.

I've heard this a new trend in malls - which makes me hate it even more.

And if that's not enough, you're bombarded with crappy music from the moment you get out of your car in the parking lot until you leave the place.

What is wrong with people. (That's not a question.)

The whole "music everywhere" thing is really irritating. There's probably a marketing strategy behind that too. Maybe it makes people stupider which makes them buy more.

be

Kind of like the outlet malls that spring up around this part of the country.. Cheaper construction...lack of architectural imagination...the dumbing down of the universe to the lowest common denominator...all of the above?

The whole "music everywhere" thing is really irritating.

be

I am starting to think it has evolved into the DNA. No matter where I go, people seem compelled to destroy any brief interlude of beautiful quiet by immediately whistling, singing, etc. It's as if silence was somehow toxic?

BTW: ever notice people who whistle and sing are always way too loud and chronically off key?

probably a topic for another thread.... but I feel your pain about the horrible music.

Have you ever noticed those new mall parking lots are designed like a roach motel ? You can drive in but god help you trying to get out, either that or the designers hired a blind monkey gave him a box of spaghetti and told him to design a road layout. I have one thing to say to all of the malls........WWW. I can get it cheaper and easier online.

We have a gigantic new mall nearby. And none of the stores are connected - each store opens to the parking lot. And the whole place is so huge, unless two stores you go to happen to be next to each other - you drive from store to store!

i think one of the main reasons is that kids, thugs, etc. have no place to hang out. which is fine by me. they ruined a couple of good malls here in memphis, tn.

lynn

I've been to a few "open air" malls, and we have a new quasi-mall thing here in Austin (The Domain) that's sort of the same thing - but all the stores have all been in normal mall walking distance. At The Domain, there are streets and such, too, but stuff is still within an easy walk from everything else. There are other areas that are like big clusters of big box stores, where the stores are on the perimeter of a giant parking lot, and you basically have to drive between them. I don't shop in those areas, and I never really thought about why - but this is definitely a part of it. They're just a PITA to get around in...

Hey, I heard Bob over at Milligan-Miffler-Race-Presnushit designed this really different thing, where people have to drive from store to store... I bet I can do that, too!! :rolleyes:

I would have to bet that it allows the development company to avoid having to play middle man between the client and the general contractor. Each store would have to deal with paying for its building construction, etc, and everything is nice and discrete in the accounting. Making decisions like this to make management and accounting easier, rather than ergonomics and friendliness of the shopping experience leads to what you've got the angst over... ;)

And if that's not enough, you're bombarded with crappy music from the moment you get out of your car in the parking lot until you leave the place.

iPod ;) Of course, that leads inevitably to further withdrawl from humanity - but if the sheep want crappy music because they can't stand silence or actually <gasp> having to smile or say hi to another human being, well.... maybe I don't need to so attached to them, eh???

Its not a sentence, either :D

The whole "music everywhere" thing is really irritating. There's probably a marketing strategy behind that too. Maybe it makes people stupider which makes them buy more.

be

Then why go there? I use maybe a dozen different businesses to do all of my shopping. I use a bank, grocery store, and a few other odd stores for all of my needs. A mall or strip mall isnt in the picture for any of these. The only time I visit a mall is when my wife wants me to shop with her. Unless absolutely necessary I dont go to discount stores of any kind because of the idiots that you must deal with,(the working ones) I have arranged my life top wjere if I am not at work, I try to be at the range and any time not at the range is because of family obligations.

Brian if you hate that mall you should eat at Lucille's BBQ. The food isn't very good but it costs a lot and you have to wait in line to get in. After an evening there your hate should just overflow!

-Larry

I hate the music everywhere thing.

As a professional musician, I really hate it, because it conflicts with the music that plays in my head, which is always way cooler.

^_^

I know what you mean, That annoying music always makes it hard to hear the voices in my head.... :roflol: They can't sing, but they tell me to do interesting things.

be

I had occasion a few years ago to visit New Ulm Minnesota. There is polka music playing on Main Street and in the Holiday Inn. Can you believe I forgot to take lederhosen?

They are trying to turn an indoor mall near me to one of these shopping centers.

FWIW, the name for this kind of shopping center is a "Lifestyle Center". The newspapers were discussing this term in relation to the proposed construction.

The only reason they have not broke ground yet is the owner of the mall cannot evict the K mart already on the property and the other stores (pottery barn, etc) will not be affiliated with any property that has a K Mart.

Ted

Edited by Ted Murphy

We have a new open air mall here in Albuquerque. I wonder what effect the weather during the summer (95 degrees daytime) and the winter (cold, snow, rain,etc.) will have on the customers who might want to visit it. I don't care to walk from shop to shop in hot or cold weather. I'll go to the traditional malls and only when I have to.

CYa,

Pat