Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best aftermarket barrel for shooting lead

scribble

I've shot lead out of stock glock barrels for years, just clean the thing like you should and you will have no issues, I tested several barrels in both G34's and G35's a few years back when a buddy of mine bought inserts for his ransom rest for glock frames, the stock barrel was more accurate with all loads than any dropin barrel

I've shot lead out of stock glock barrels for years, just clean the thing like you should and you will have no issues, I tested several barrels in both G34's and G35's a few years back when a buddy of mine bought inserts for his ransom rest for glock frames, the stock barrel was more accurate with all loads than any dropin barrel

I do clean mine after everymatch normally. I have always heard the factory barrel will tear up the lead and lead it out after 1-200 rounds. I don't want to take it apart and clean between stages or extended practice sessions.

I do clean mine after everymatch normally. I have always heard the factory barrel will tear up the lead and lead it out after 1-200 rounds. I don't want to take it apart and clean between stages or extended practice sessions.

Been shooting my Beretta 600 rounds or better before cleaning it and that was with TG powder which doesn't help. A little white vinegar and peroxide mixed about 50-50 does the trick. You just plug the end and let her sit for a half hour... run a brush through and oil... done

Aftermarket barrels suck for lead IMHO. I use Rudy Warrens black moly-kote lead bullets called Billy Bullets.

Flawless with the stock Glock barrels.

Jim M

Edited by JimmyM

A little white vinegar and peroxide mixed about 50-50 does the trick. You just plug the end and let her sit for a half hour... run a brush through and oil... done

The white vinegar and peroxide mix does an excellent job of removing lead but do not leave your barrel in the mixture for more than 30 minutes (less time is better). Given enough time it will also eat steel.

Using a foot long piece of 2" PVC pipe with a cap on one end, I would put my barrel and comp assembly into the 50/50 mix and let her soak. Several years ago in the middle of a cleaning session I got an emergency call. End result was a soak time of several days. The stainless steel barrel was not hurt but the solution managed to each tiny holes through the hardchroming on the comp and into the steel. It still works but looks terrible.

I still use this to clean out lead, but I am very careful about it.

Bill

I'll suggest Lone Wolf. Good, cheap, and drop in.

My Lone Wolf barrel in my 34 is very tight and unforgiving with what to feed it. I think a KKM is the better choice. It's still tighter than the OEM, but a tad more forgiving in tolerances. That helps when going as little on crimp as possible.

i've used storm lake, efk, bar-sto and found or had problems with all of them. kkm is all i use now as far as aftermarket barrels go for a glock.

I have used a Jarvis in my G35 for the last two years with no problems, however, I have used primarily plated and jacketed bullets. I recently put a Lone Wolf barrel in my G21 and have run around 2000 rounds total and 1000 rounds of lead with no problems.

Keith

I have a barsto in my G20, KKM's in my G22 & G24 and I had a Lone wolf 9/40 barrel for my G24 before I got a G17L. They were all great barrels and have worked great. I plan on getting another lone wolf for my G17L.

Neal in AZ

A little white vinegar and peroxide mixed about 50-50 does the trick. You just plug the end and let her sit for a half hour... run a brush through and oil... done

The white vinegar and peroxide mix does an excellent job of removing lead but do not leave your barrel in the mixture for more than 30 minutes (less time is better). Given enough time it will also eat steel.

Using a foot long piece of 2" PVC pipe with a cap on one end, I would put my barrel and comp assembly into the 50/50 mix and let her soak. Several years ago in the middle of a cleaning session I got an emergency call. End result was a soak time of several days. The stainless steel barrel was not hurt but the solution managed to each tiny holes through the hardchroming on the comp and into the steel. It still works but looks terrible.

I still use this to clean out lead, but I am very careful about it.

Bill

My guess is your chrome plating may have had some un-noticeable pitting thru to the base metal, whenever I had a doubt that my chrome plating had issues I'd check it with copper sulfate before sending it on to the polishers, then my luck the polisher would go thru it and would have to be stripped and redone anyways

Ive never hardchromed any guns though, just plastic injection molding and extruder screws and parts.

cooter asked me about this off the forum. I suggested that he get on here and get more feedback.

(Do a search too...as this topic comes up often enough.)

40 Major pressure is not something to play around with very much. If you have to go to extra effort to get the lead out, then that is too much leading...in an already high pressure round.

Lead in a Glock barrel is a no-go for me. Some guys get away with it. They are either dumb and lucky...or know enough about what they are doing that they don't really have to ask about it. (my opinion)

If you are going to shoot lead, getting an aftermarket barrel (with traditional rifling) is a good idea. It should pay for itself in 3-5k rounds or so.

And yes, I've shot lead through my (stock barreled) G35. Never again.

As for which after-market barrel...for lead? I can't say, as I haven't put much lead through my Glocks. I believe that I have read where the LW barrels have chambers so tight that they see troubles with lead reloads and such.

I have 3 KKM barrels in various Glocks. I like them. I just haven't shot lead through them, so I can't say much there.

i have had outstanding luck with the KKM barrels ive owned

my storm lake barrel in my glock 21 is super accurate too.

i have a LW barrel im going to be testing soon. i will keep you posted but i do not have an excessivly tight chamber in it..

harmon

I've got Lone Wolf on the way for my G22.I figure if its to tight with .401 lead bullets,I'll just have it reamed out.At worst,it'll just take me a little longer to break even on the bullet price savings.-Mike