Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Riding mower recommendations?

Hey all, I gave a search and the only thread I found was ShootrGrrl's mowing hate.

We came to the new house with a push mower. Our house sits on about 1 acre. I've push mowed it once (in sections). I think we are going to go with a riding mower.

The 42in (or smaller) mowing deck and appropriate horsepower seem about right. Seems there are plenty on sale in the under $999 range. That size and price seems to fit our needs.

Any suggestions on the good, bad and ugly ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all, I gave a search and the only thread I found was ShootrGrrl's mowing hate.

We came to the new house with a push mower. Our house sits on about 1 acre. I've push mowed it once (in sections). I think we are going to go with a riding mower.

The 42in (or smaller) mowing deck and appropriate horsepower seem about right. Seems there are plenty on sale in the under $999 range. That size and price seems to fit our needs.

Any suggestions on the good, bad and ugly ?

Bud just bought a Deere and loves it. My Dad has a Kubota and swears by it after years of service. I think those two are the top rated.

I bought mine at Sears (Craftsman). I made it a point to get one with a Kohler engine instead of the standard Briggs and Stratton. Changed oil, filters and blades each season. That was about 8 years ago and it still going strong. Lot size is 2 acres.

Bill

I also have a Craftsman, 19 HP twin cylinder, 42" deck. 6 years and still going strong, with yearly oil changes and new plugs. It's a mulching mower deck, but to me it never worked well, so I just bag the clippings.

Bruce

Kyle,

If I were buying today, I would look again at the Cub Cadet Zero Turn unit. Not the one with the twin sticks, but he one that looks just like a regualr tractor.

I have a CC and it is good, 38" cut, I have just about an acre and I can mow it in about 1-1/2 hours or less. Does not include trimming.

The zero turn option if you can afford it is THE WAY TO GO. you can mow a circular pattern one time and two different diagonals the next two then two different straight cuts. You'll avoid setting up a pattern that way, your lawn will look much better for it and with the ZT type mower, you will be done quicker.

Most of the homeowner mowers are now made by MTD, If you look closely, you'll see the parts that interchange.

Avoid Home Depot and Lowe's, Your local lawn tractor dealer is the guy you'll want to have around when there is a problem beyond the basics. THese units all have electronics in them now, and the Big Boxes aren't up to the service end.

Jim

I have a Sears Craftsman that I've had for 10 years or so. It has a Kohler engine with an oil pump for longer engine life. Mine has a Hydrostatic transmission and I love it. You can change ground speed and still keep blade speed up. It is a lever by my right hand. If you want to slow down for a turn or rough ground just pull back on the lever. I hope to never have to use a standard transmission mower ever again. :unsure: I'm probably mowing around 2 acres. Mine's a 46 inch cut.

Kyle, are you doing a lawn or knocking down the big stuff so it looks reasonable? Makes a big difference.....

For quality of cut you won't do any better than a Simplicity, but they are a bit expensive. Mine is a 42" hydrostatic drive with a 14hp Briggs and Scrap-iron I mean Stratton. The Briggs is nowhere near the equal of a Kohler, but mine is 7 or 8 years old and runs fine. Every 2-3 years on oil changes and plugs when it won't run, same for fuel filters. I cut just under an acre with it at least once a week and usually twice a week when it rains, twice a week is normal in the spring and fall. The downside of this type of mower is ground speed, it isn't very fast so cutting takes a bit longer. The quality of the cut though is really good.

If you need to knock down the field grass to keep it looking decent get BIG power and fast ground speeds. A BIG Craftsman with a manual trans will work great.

Zero turn is the way to go for everything if you can spend the money, and hydrostatic drive if you are cutting a lawn.

For a lawn look for a bagger, will save you a lot of work when it comes time to thatch the lawn. You won't have to thatch but every couple years using a bagger, and when you do the bagger will pick it all up for you.

Kyle, are you doing a lawn or knocking down the big stuff so it looks reasonable? Makes a big difference.....

For quality of cut you won't do any better than a Simplicity, but they are a bit expensive. Mine is a 42" hydrostatic drive with a 14hp Briggs and Scrap-iron I mean Stratton. The Briggs is nowhere near the equal of a Kohler, but mine is 7 or 8 years old and runs fine. Every 2-3 years on oil changes and plugs when it won't run, same for fuel filters. I cut just under an acre with it at least once a week and usually twice a week when it rains, twice a week is normal in the spring and fall. The downside of this type of mower is ground speed, it isn't very fast so cutting takes a bit longer. The quality of the cut though is really good.

If you need to knock down the field grass to keep it looking decent get BIG power and fast ground speeds. A BIG Craftsman with a manual trans will work great.

Zero turn is the way to go for everything if you can spend the money, and hydrostatic drive if you are cutting a lawn.

For a lawn look for a bagger, will save you a lot of work when it comes time to thatch the lawn. You won't have to thatch but every couple years using a bagger, and when you do the bagger will pick it all up for you.

I thought you used 10 midgets with hair clippers a goat and an eskimo?

if you have an open lawn any kind of mower will be good.

if you have a 'gardener' who will plant shrubs trees and flower beds

then you will have to consider a more flexable riding mower like the zero turn types.

My "gardener" has created many places I can't ride....

I have a lot of trimming to do after I finish mowing all I can with the riding mower I have.

If you want to do the job quicker more horsepower is a big help.

I got to use a water cooled Honda riding mower once. That was nice.

miranda

Spend the extra bucks! go with a SCAG! It will last a very long time and you will be happy!!!!!! :cheers:

Right.. If you are going to blow your budget just do it by X 8.... :surprise:

They are the BEST.....

OH NO not X8 Just 4 TO 5 for that size. Speed does count also!!! over the years time saved will = money in the BANK!!!

Edited by blue edge

Spend the extra bucks! go with a SCAG! It will last a very long time and you will be happy!!!!!! :cheers:

Scag?

Scag you say

I went to the web page www.scag.com...

I worry when the price is hard to find

and one of the 'features' is financing available....

sure look good tho...

miranda

The budget is more "decent 1911"...not "nice new open gun".

:)

More SDB/550...not so much 650/1050.

:)

We are going out looking tonight (making a run to Sears to eyeball their $999 42in mower, which will be our comparison model).

I'd love hydrostatic and Zero Turn, but I don't see it in the price range.

I mowed 2 acres for 20 years with one of the lower priced John Deeres (about $1800), my neighbor went through several of the bargain priced mowers in that same 20 years. Like they say it's best to cry once.

Rik

Hydrostatic is worth an extra few dollars (must have IMO) if you can swing it. Kinda like there's nothing wrong with a Glock, but you gotta have good sights on it. I have a Huskee from TSC (MTD built) and so far I've gotten 12 years out of it.

The thing with Kohler is, they got bought out recently Im told, and the quality is not there anymore. Not sure why people tend to knock B&Stratton, they run damned near forever. Just do NOT buy anything with a Tecumseh. lol

My Dad had a hydrostatic Cub Cadet. I love them. Convincing the better-half...well, after a bit of priming from me, the good crew at the Craftsman store showed off the features pretty well. Hydro was about $200 more (I thought it would be double that). The better-half was agreeable, so...we went hydro. (yeah team :) )

I had planned on spending half the day tomorrow on running around and comparing, but thought I had better strike while the mood was in my favor.

When looking for any gas powered piece of equipment, visit your local small engine repair shop and ask questions. Kawasaki seems to have the most reliable engine in the over 12HP class. Under 12HP, Honda gets the medal.