Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One up

Gary Stevens

The 20 year post made me remember that this summer will mark my 30th year in IPSC/USPSA. This journey started at the now defunct, Butler County Sportsman Club in Butler County Ohio in 1978. I met a lot of nice people there, and in the following years. A lot of those are now deceased. The good part is they have been replaced by many, many more equally nice people.

I remember when we did things like weak hand draws which were accomplished by reaching around behind you and drawing the pistol with your weak hand, or drawing from the front and then "rolling" the gun across the front of your body until you could get your weak hand on the grip. These were usually followed by a weak hand only reload :surprise:

I remember when if you had an 8 round magazine you were considered "Hi-Tech". When the first 45 comp gun arrived everyone had to immediately have one. Needless to say when the 38 Super comp gun came around shooters fell all over themselves to get those extra two rounds. Of course there was the learning curve on reloading, which lead to the phrase "super face". Remember the power factor was 175 then, which required 180+ to keep out of minor land.

Then came the first strange high caps using 9x21 ammo, and the dot scope that Jerry Barnhart unleashed. As we say the rest is history.

All in all a rather heady time. I sort of miss that time, and wouldn't trade the memories for anything.

Gary

Good for you Gary ! ! ! !

Us old farts have to stick together

I can remember in about 65 or 66 when the local cops allowed shooters who were interested to come to their range and practice with them. All you needed was an interest and a CPL and they welcomed you ...

Wow... how times have changed--- in many ways for the worst.

Edited by MichiganShootist

I don't know as USPSA didn't come into being until 1984. Numbers would only go back that far. Some folks like myself didn't join until a year or so later. I would guess it would be on a "yeah, I was there" basis.

I believe the Columbia conference was in 1975, so there were a number of IPSC shooters out and about before I got in three years later.

Gary

Dang Gary,

I used to just think you were old.....now you have gone and confirmed it :devil:

As I said in the 20 year thread. I just wish I had been introduced back then so I could have enjoyed it more.

dj

I don't know as USPSA didn't come into being until 1984. Numbers would only go back that far. Some folks like myself didn't join until a year or so later. I would guess it would be on a "yeah, I was there" basis.

I believe the Columbia conference was in 1975, so there were a number of IPSC shooters out and about before I got in three years later.

Gary

'78 was a good year....me too, although I have a break in service in the late '80's...

Real smokey, and the reloads take a while.

If you were using a Colt the reloads were pretty slow. If using a Remington and had some cylinders preloaded it wasn't too bad. But they both beat the heck out of the single shots. :roflol: