Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolvers becoming more popular in IDPA

phique2000

I just got back from shooting SSR in the SC State Match. I shoot CDP & SSR on a regular basis at my local club, but the revolver is my favorite. I got to wondering if revolvers were becoming more or less popular in IDPA, so I looked at all the major matches shot so far this year and compared them to last year.

Lo and behold:

Number of revolver shooters

MATCH------------2007-----2008

SC State-------------6--------15

Badlands-----------10--------12

Frozen Penguin----8--------12

S & W---------------52-------45

LA State-------------4--------15

VA Indoor-----------5---------5

Tri-States-----------0--------10

AZ State-------------2---------8

Mountain Valley----6---------6

Coastal Bend-------4---------5

AL State-------------1---------7

NJ State-------------8--------13

Totals--------------106-------153

I don't know what happened at the S&W, but we (wheelgunners) are looking at almost a 50% increase over last year. :cheers:

I'm loving it, because I'll be shooting my revolver until it falls apart, and would like to be competing with it just as long.

Good to see the numbers on the rise, revolver is still the pure competition shooting. Not much chance to round dump, hits are what they are (no extra rounds most of the time) if you don't want to do an extra reload, just plain fun to shoot.

DB

Amen Dean.

Thanks for assembling the data, we have seen similar results at S&W and HGC club matches.

There was a decided change in the shooter population at S&W this year. I saw many new faces. I think you'll see the results rebound next year - I'm doing everything in my power to make sure that happens..

There is no other sport for speedloaded revolvers to compete on an equal footing and I believe people are responding to that. The average shooter is more likely to have a 586 or a Model 10 than a 625 or a 646.

This whole semi-auto thing is just a fad.

Craig

Good to see the numbers on the rise, revolver is still the pure competition shooting. Not much chance to round dump, hits are what they are (no extra rounds most of the time) if you don't want to do an extra reload, just plain fun to shoot.

DB

yup...compared to other masters and experts in cdp/ssp/esp..looks like David L.held his own as a SSR MA at the S.C. match...good job David!!! :cheers:

I'll pass on the thumbs up to Dave, long time bud, I ran him though the classifier the week before the match (82.3sec total), his gun broke in dry fire (trigger pin) the night before the match in the hotel and used my S&W 67 (from 1971) to shoot the match. He had a case stuck under the star on a stage and a down 10/fail on another.

DB

So, they still make bullets for those revolvers? I thought they were extinct .... :) I've said it before, I'll say it again, there's nothing like watching a master with a revolver "work" a course!!!

These numbers are positive, but it would be more convincing reporting them as a percentage of match too ... Just a thought.

Yeah, I work in numbers too many hours a day!

These numbers are positive, but it would be more convincing reporting them as a percentage of match too ... Just a thought.

The numbers you are looking for are here:

IDPA Forum

You'll see that not only are the number of revolver shooters increasing, but the percentage of match is increasing, too.

So it looks good for us wheel gunners, as long as they keep making bullets for them. :goof:

So, they still make bullets for those revolvers? I thought they were extinct .... :)

I would venture to say that they'll be making, and someone will be shooting, bullets for my revolver several generations after all this tupperware has become reincarnated as panty hose, deck furniture and Lego sets.

Craig

Edited by Bones

So, they still make bullets for those revolvers? I thought they were extinct .... :) I've said it before, I'll say it again, there's nothing like watching a master with a revolver "work" a course!!!

Yeah, they still make boolitts for these mechanical nightmares, :surprise:

BUT

We're having more fun than you are :sight:

AND

We don't have to carry a $1000 worth of parts to keep them running at a match. :lol:

I'm glad to see that it's on the rise. I love to shoot a wheelie. :cheers:

I had one in USPSA, but that was from not understanding the gun. Strain screw was loose and on "El Prez" the cylinder fell into my support hand with my reload attempt, not good.

I've shot an IPDA club match last month with the 625 and with some stages that are designed with revolvers in mind it's a hoot to shoot!

I think IDPA's usual low round count seem to be easier for revolver shooters.

I plan to shoot more revolver in IDPA.

I have also seen the cylinder come off. This isn't something you see every day but I can think of two or three times that I have seen it.

The big problem I have had is that the revo's can become fouled so quickly especially when shooting lead. I had one particular load that would foul the gun after only one cylinder full of shoots. It was so nasty that the reload would only go in with some pushing on my part. I would then take the gun to the safety area, clean it, start the next stage and after the first 7 shots the gun was so fouled I had to push the moonclip in to get my reload completed.

Another semi common problem I've seen is with the ejector rod backing out while shooting. This of course jams up the whole thing to such an extent that you can't open the gun.

I have also seen quite a few that were out of time and along with the spitting of lead out the sides accuracy appeared to be compromised (well the guy wasn't exactly shooting good groups).

Yes I do know the fixes for all of these problems. I do enjoy shooting my revolvers but I would not say they are less problematic than my semi autos they just have a different set of problems.

-ld

Recently the revolver group has been pretty small here. Like 2 years ago they were "in" fashion.

I've never exactly understood the problem, I had a revolver shooter try to show me what had happened, but they were short stroking, or trying to shoot to fast or something. It ended up looking like a light strike as it happened, but the revolver shooter tried to tell me what exactly it was. I saw it happen a couple of times. Wish I knew more about what caused it.

To be fair, I think as a whole group revolvers are the most reliable guns out there. There are certainly examples or shooters with problems. Pistols are extremely reliable, but my guess would be the failure rate would be higher than revolvers. The difference in failure rates is what would be fun to discover. But with failure rates so low, I'm guessing that any test with statistical significance would need to be 10K's of ammo, not a cheap undertaking.

And the test's would need to be no BS failures. You don't get to blame gunsmithing, ammo, primers, operator error, etc. If the gun doesn't go bang when the trigger is pulled, or lock back, or open the cylinder, etc, it's a failure of design.

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to provide a testing "trigger finger".!!!

Edited by kdmoore

Hot Brass, what kind of revolver failures did you see?

Case 1 was the cylinder release came off and case 2 was the cylinder fell off the gun. Both were due to screws backing out. Both shooters knew that loctite would prevent the problem...

Edited by Hot Brass

One of my favortite IDPA gun clubs... for some reason..... seems to have a lot of wheelgun friendly stages....

Could it be because the Match Director is a ESR Master :lol:

At any IDPA match-----I love to see the expressions on the CDP shooters faces when I blow them away on a stage.