Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi Speed Video

shred

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I REALLY need to get my hands on one of these cameras for a few hours. My gun has taken to choking like mad in the last few weeks and I need to figure out what the heck is going on. At first I thought it was an issue with my magazine lips but the gun choked the same without a mag in it so I am stumped.

Joe W.

Shred,

I'm going to make some aluminum test comps as soon as the endmills come in that I ordered. It would be cool if you could use that camera to video the differences between different comps. Is this something you'd be interested in doing?

Darren

Shred,

I'm going to make some aluminum test comps as soon as the endmills come in that I ordered. It would be cool if you could use that camera to video the differences between different comps. Is this something you'd be interested in doing?

Darren

The camera isn't quite slow enough to do a great job of comp testing; the one side-shot is slowed down 4x or more from the actual frame rate, but I can run some tests when I get time. Ideally we'd want some sort of consistent harness like they used in the AR test article and Wil used for his hybrid testing to get consistent data. Of course long ago Layne Simpson did a bunch of comp testing and then had people rate them... and the ones that tested best didn't get rated best. Drop me a PM.

Anyway, here's a few of bullets hitting plate racks I got edited up: (somehow I'm reminded of the Man Show "... and now.. bullets hitting plate racks...")

One plate @ 40 yards with a Major PF Super :

I like this video the best

A plate rack with minor or sub-minor .40 loads (anybody know what PF 3.0gr Titegroup and a 200gr FMJ at Glock length makes?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arkSoZUnEmE

Same plate rack with the Major Super:

Notice how many less chunks come off? More fuel for the splatter debate.

... and for some 300 fps training video of a shooter, here's my Travis Tomasie impression: OReload2.wmv :roflol:

That reload looks pretty good... Right up until the mag falls out of the gun! :P

I wish I could get youtube at work. At least now I have some more videos to look forward to watching when I get home!!

... and for some 300 fps training video of a shooter, here's my Travis Tomasie impression: OReload2.wmv :roflol:

Absolutely priceless. The slow motion following of the mag by your head is hilarious :cheers:

dj

It's probably a good thing the hi-speed videos don't have sound... :D

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing these I bought the same camera myself. It is waaayyy cool. Let me ask though does your have a speckled finish on the exterior? Mine has a slight speckled look on the camera body. I don't know if it is a flaw in my finish or if it is supposed to look like that. It looks good though.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a couple of high speed vids this weekend at my local IDPA match. I even captured a jam my buddy was having with his SSP .40. Shell casings were captured flying thru the air right at my camera lens. The vids are posted on my you tube page. This camera is awesome.

Shred if you haven't already download the firmware update for the camera. It makes a big difference in startup times.

I would LOVE to play with one of those cameras. Several years back I worked up a SLOW pitch softball load for my .45 pin gun to use on those nights we shot plates because of weather. I really need to run it over a chrono but I have a feeling it isn't even making Minor. lol The brass trickles down the back of my right hand even with a 7 pound spring. lol It would be a whoot to see what that thing looks like at 1200 frames a second. ;)

Joe W.

Those are some cool videos. I played a lot with the 60-fps still modes at Texas State Open and it's possible to catch the bullet streak, but it's a streak, even with Limited guns. You need a really, really fast shutter to catch the bullet sitting still. Hopefully my Front Sight article on it will get in the next issue or two. Thanks for the tip on the firmware too, that helped a lot.

This would definitely be a cool tool for training purposes... Waiting for the price to arrive at something sane :D (actually, its not bad for what it is, but that's still a lot of jing for a non-dSLR...)

Finally got my F1 out to the range. Got some okay high speed, see the magic of a bullet in flight.

bullet-in-flight.gif

(video is not of me)

shell-juggling.gif

Jebrew

[Edit]Added another animated pic[/Edit]

Edited by jebrew

Here's one I call "The importance of calling your shots on steel without waiting for the ding"

ShotCall.MOV

Although there's no sound, the sound of the ding isn't back at the shooter until right about when the movie ends.

Btw, if anybody is using Vista Movie Maker to edit F1 videos, here's a "speed up 10x" custom effect that helps make 'real-time' video out of the 300, 600 or 1200 fps videos.

This XML will not work on non-Vista WMM as-is, but some slight edits will probably fix that... not that you want to use XP WMM since it trashes the letterboxing in my experience.

Put this: Speed10x.xml in \Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX

This would definitely be a cool tool for training purposes... Waiting for the price to arrive at something sane :D (actually, its not bad for what it is, but that's still a lot of jing for a non-dSLR...)

Reasonable rental rates could be arranged :D A 10D would be adequate for a security deposit :roflol:

Shred how about some video showing a draw two shots reload two shots.

How about draw-6-reload-6? D6r6.wmv

[edit: now on YouTube as well:

]

• 5 months later...
http://www.trippresearch.com/media/movemen...eedgateway.html

Look at 2:22 or so into the movie.

It looks to me as if the slide is moving back quite a bit before the bullet leaves the barrel, or is it just me?

It looks like it... the slide+barrel combo can move together (the pieces are trying to repel each other before the bullet leaves, but the combined unit acts as one piece), but as I remember from a few months ago, most of the smiths thought that much movement in the video wasn't 'normal' due to a combination of light loads/springs and/or not a lot of lockup from milling away half the slide stop pin and back lug.

If I recall correctly, in that Tripp video it looks as if there is an abnormal amount of gas leakage from the muzzle ahead of the bullet in that video. I suspect the result of this gas leakage is significantly more thrust on the slide rearward than on the bullet forward. I believe this is why the slide moves so far in that video before the bullet exits. Aside from gas leakage issues, the distance the slide/barrel travels prior to bullet exit is simply a matter of the ratio of the mass of the bullet versus that of the slide/barrel.

Does the Casio come with a remote shutter release? If so, have you tried using it?

officially, yes. In reality, mine was one of the first and came with a paper that said "sorry, we'll send you the release later". I've still not seen it. I use the motion-detector mode for that kind of thing mostly anyway.