Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi Speed Video

shred

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not just the plastic, it's the 1/8" aluminum mount and everything.

You can also see the bullet go downrange in scene 2. Somehow the resolution got borked up on that one, but it's still cool.

Cool video, thanks.

I would like to see what a Glock looks like firing using that camera. Might make some shooters shudder at that.

That could be fun. I'll put it on the list to shoot.

Awsome !!! Look at the amount of time it takes for the hammer to fall.

Flintlock ?? ;)

Yeah, notice how the actual primer ignition, powder-burn and bullet leaving the barrel is very very short compared to the hammer fall. There's a lesson there that some with tight overtravel stops might want to think about ;)

Sweet. Any info on the camera? Make? Model? I have been wanting to do some high speed stuff but have no idea where to get my hands on a high speed camera like that.

Joe W.

Casio EX-F1. The first that is remotely close to the consumer price band. I had one on order for a while, and just got it Friday, but I think they're trickling out now to stores. Kinda pricy for a non-DSLR, but great for shooting matches. It'll take six-megapixel still frames at 60 per second (for one second) as well, which rocks for match photos (see the Space City thread for some highlights). Eats memory cards like popcorn-- 4GB didn't get me through the day and I wasn't shooting RAW or anything.

I'm guessing that in a few years the tech will be pretty common-- it's not a difficult thing to do with the imaging sensor, but nobody's bothered to do it at the consumer level yet.

Pretty cool for training too. Want to know where you're losing time on an El-Prez? Hit some 300 fps video like this: TND_ZP.wmv

Want to know where you're losing time on an El-Prez? Hit some 300 fps video like this: TND_ZP.wmv

Wow, I hope Zack gets to see this and notices how low the reload takes place.

I'd be interested to see my own (pitiful) performance on that stage.

What a cool training/coaching tool.

-Chet

-Chet

Pretty cool for training too. Want to know where you're losing time on an El-Prez? Hit some 300 fps video like this: TND_ZP.wmv

Wow ! :surprise: Now that is even cooler !! I thought that those open guns had no recoil !!! :huh:

And those transitions ??? Man...

Yeah, be nice to Zack.. he's still learning this shooting thing and will someday be kicking all our butts all over the range. :)

The recoil on the first video is 'cause I'm holding the gun in one hand and the camera in the other..

That first video shows exactly how violent an Open gun actually is, You don't see a tenth of that in the dot, I don't care who you are. And very few people realize how much an Open gun at major recoils. The recoil a LOT!!! This sort of video really helps people understand exactly how violently our guns cycle and the speed that these things take place at. For a machine to take the beating we put on them for as long as they do is a real tribute to the design and the smith that builds them. It also illustrates quickly why things go bad so fast in a gun that isn't right.

-Chet

Wow ! :surprise: Now that is even cooler !! I thought that those open guns had no recoil !!! :huh:

And those transitions ??? Man...

Yeah, be nice to Zack.. he's still learning this shooting thing and will someday be kicking all our butts all over the range. :)

The recoil on the first video is 'cause I'm holding the gun in one hand and the camera in the other..

Get some images of your body during the recoil... I think it would be cool to see it travel from the hands to the shoulder and into the torso.

Thanks for the info on the camera. I was wondering how long of a video you could shoot at the higher frame rates? Heck if you could do 15 seconds of video (real time) at 300 fps you could REALLY see where you could make up time in a shooting stage.

Joe W.

Great videos. My camera has been kinda flaky the last year or so, maybe the Mrs. will allow me to spend quite a bit more for one of these. :roflol:

Just an observation. In the first video gasses appear to be leaving the comp, the barrel is unlocking and the slide coming back before the bullet appears. The unlocking of the barrel and slide movement I can halfway understand. The gasses at the comp, is that the air in the barrel being compressed in front of the bullet?

Really great stuff.

dj

Great videos. My camera has been kinda flaky the last year or so, maybe the Mrs. will allow me to spend quite a bit more for one of these. :roflol:

Just an observation. In the first video gasses appear to be leaving the comp, the barrel is unlocking and the slide coming back before the bullet appears. The unlocking of the barrel and slide movement I can halfway understand. The gasses at the comp, is that the air in the barrel being compressed in front of the bullet?

Really great stuff.

dj

Seems like it could be a cool tool for checking the timing of the gun.

The bullet is gone by the time the slide even thinks about moving. I tried to catch the bullet leaving the gun, but haven't had luck yet. Even at 1200 fps, the bullet will be a streak a foot long seen from the side.

Here's the best attempt yet: I slowed down the 1200 fps video a lot, trying to get the comp blast. I'm not sure if the column coming out the muzzle is the bullet or extra gas, probably both. In any case there's some blowby-- far more effective than the air in the barrel; there's just not enough of that to be meaningful.. 4" of 14 PSI air is nothing compared to 30,000 PSI burnt powder sneaking past the bullet. SloSide.wmv

That camera really illustrates the gap between perception and reality.

I always love it when guys say that "their dot does not move" or other foolishness like that.

Yeah. These were shot strong hand, with no particular care to recoil control, but if you don't see the dot move, you aren't looking...