Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deadliest Catch

...But I LOVE king crab...can consume my own body weight of it :cheers:

Jim

Me Too :goof::goof::goof:

My son is an avid fan of the series. I'm an avid fan of King Crab.

I'm not belittling the danger involved but as a TV show, but there are only so many ways to get killed on one of those boats.

FWIW

dj

Edited by dajarrel

I've caught snippets of this show as I channel surf, but I can't watch it. Seeing those guys sliding all over a deck that's covered with ice while freezing water washes over it and the whole ship going up and down in 20 foot swells, ugh... it makes me seasick just watching it...

I've always felt that there was a fine line between courage and stupidity... I think these guys may have crossed that line... it's insane !!!

The guys are a little bent for sure. I watched them pull a guy out of the sea last year. It was gripping. One two week period those guys made 90K per deckhand. :surprise: Maybe when I was a bit younger I might have given it a shot, but now... not a chance.

I'll never look at a plate of crab without thinking of the men out there catching them for us.

Watched the first episode today while eating some King Crab. Got to support

the guys !!! :D

King Crab fishing is on my list of things to do when my wife divorces me !! :lol:

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

I started watching this show last year and quickly became addicted to it. Anyone like this show? New shows starting tonight.

Northwestern baby... Edgar cracks me up

JT

Yep, I just watched the first two episodes of the new season. My wife laughs at me, but seems to always watch it too :P

Yup that and dirty jobs. I forget which crew it was but one of them put a F250 at the end of the other crews line....that is just nuts!

I think that was Hillstrands boat Time Bandit did it to the Phil on the Cornela Marie. Funny shit right there.

Crazy thing is, I live in a house full of little girls a,d they and the wife love that show. It is the thing we all watch together. My oldest and I also are "DirtyJobs" watchers.

Ya. I like Mike as well... he doesn't take himself to serious. He has a hell of gag factor for some of those jobs.

Deadliest Catch has more viewers than any other show Dis has ever aired. 34 million last year.

Alaskan crab boat shows have been the subject of several shows like worlds most dangerous jobs. As a Marine Engineer I watched the bios on the guys, the show did a blurb on the Chief Engineer and about his share and his job to keep things running. I figured hey that would be a good job for me, Till I saw the next scene where the Chief was out on deck baiting traps with the rest of em. Uh maybe not. I need a CE job on a playboy yacht or something.

Alaskan crab boat shows have been the subject of several shows like worlds most dangerous jobs. As a Marine Engineer I watched the bios on the guys, the show did a blurb on the Chief Engineer and about his share and his job to keep things running. I figured hey that would be a good job for me, Till I saw the next scene where the Chief was out on deck baiting traps with the rest of em. Uh maybe not. I need a CE job on a playboy yacht or something.

You are a GIRLYMAN. :P Hmmm let me see... baiting traps with freezing spray or looking at Playboy honeys....

I just hope it doesn't go the way of American Choppers but I'm afraid it will. The guys get to the point where they are "famous" and make so much money from being filmed fishing for crab that they don't have to worry about actually fishing for crab anymore and it turns into something where they have to invent a drama each week to keep it interesting. When I saw the intro for the new season where they flew all the captains to the top of some mountain peak so they could stand in a circle looking mean while they flew around them in a helicopter taking dramatic video I got a bad feeling about this season.

Welding another boat's pot shut or filling it full of your garbage is the type of friendly competitive thing that has probably been going on forever. The truck thing, while funny, took a lot of time and effort for those guys to accomplish and I suspect if they were as worried about catching their quota of crab as they used to be, they might not have taken the time to do all that. I predict that two seasons from now the crew of the Northwestern will consist of Captain Sig, a militant homosexual, a lesbian, a "gangsta from the hood", a couple of air headed blondes, a really devious white guy everyone hates, and either a midget or a couple of washed up rock stars. Not sure which yet but I can't wait to see who crab boat council votes into the pot as bait first.

The good news is that I just found that my cable service offers BBC America so now I can watch Top Gear again.

I've really enjoyed this show in the past and just watched the weekend marathon of Season 3.

One thing I've started to notice is that a lot of the scenes are starting to appear staged. Like, when the captain's son buys the TV on Dad's checkbook and trys to quickly install it....you can just see everything coming. Still love the show though...

One note on the crab seasons. They have changed the quota rules since season 1 so now the time window to meet the quota is much longer. This was done for safety so no one is cutting corners getting out or staying out when it's really nasty. But, this put a lot of small boats out of business. I'm guessing this is why the people seem much more at ease regarding having to rush around and gives time for fun things like playing with trucks.

I've been watching since the first season.. and while I like Dungeness crab I never developed a taste for the King crab. I remember the first season, it was a winner take all set up. Fish and game turned it into a quota system and now the larger boats can buy out the smaller boats' quotas so there are fewer boats actually out on the water. One season (might have been the early one last year) the Northwestern went fishing and made a chunk of change before heading out to actually go for the crab. It gets repetitious sometimes but it's one of the few shows I'll watch in this day of reality shows.. Dirty jobs is the other one I like to watch.. It's funny seeing what they do to Mike Rowe :D

I just hope it doesn't go the way of American Choppers but I'm afraid it will. The guys get to the point where they are "famous" and make so much money from being filmed fishing for crab that they don't have to worry about actually fishing for crab anymore and it turns into something where they have to invent a drama each week to keep it interesting. When I saw the intro for the new season where they flew all the captains to the top of some mountain peak so they could stand in a circle looking mean while they flew around them in a helicopter taking dramatic video I got a bad feeling about this season.

Welding another boat's pot shut or filling it full of your garbage is the type of friendly competitive thing that has probably been going on forever. The truck thing, while funny, took a lot of time and effort for those guys to accomplish and I suspect if they were as worried about catching their quota of crab as they used to be, they might not have taken the time to do all that. I predict that two seasons from now the crew of the Northwestern will consist of Captain Sig, a militant homosexual, a lesbian, a "gangsta from the hood", a couple of air headed blondes, a really devious white guy everyone hates, and either a midget or a couple of washed up rock stars. Not sure which yet but I can't wait to see who crab boat council votes into the pot as bait first.

The good news is that I just found that my cable service offers BBC America so now I can watch Top Gear again.

As much as I love the show I'd have to agree. It's not fresh anymore, they are trying to be funny or cool for the

camera. It was much better when they were still scared of it. Altough it could not happen any other way except if they

changed the crews every season and then we could not develope a connection with the show.

After a season or two more we'll have to find the next disco. reality show, Deadliest Ride, cab driver's on the tuff streets of

Karachi !!! :D

We don't have cable - but I caught part of an episode over the weekend at a hotel. Gripping!

2 Q.s:

1) What was the problem with some of the crabs that filled the trap? Were they the wrong species or protected or something?

2) What was that fist fight about? Seemed like a bad argument in one episode.

We don't have cable - but I caught part of an episode over the weekend at a hotel. Gripping!

2 Q.s:

1) What was the problem with some of the crabs that filled the trap? Were they the wrong species or protected or something?

2) What was that fist fight about? Seemed like a bad argument in one episode.

1. crabs have to be a certain size to keep.

2. the one were the captain's son buys a flat screen t.v. using his dad's credit card?

lynn

This post is just too funny!! I was reading to my wife as she was making dinner and I was laughing so hard, she couldn't understand me! Well done!

Adios,

TG

I have watched since the beginning before Mike was the narrator. Great show and having met a crabber I was told a lot more goes on than what they show.

My new addition to this is Axe Men on the History channel. Another good watch. DVR makes it easy for me. When there is nothing else on and SWMBO is busy elsewhere, I do Axe Men marathons of several episodes.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter