Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a THE load for shotgun?

steel1212

Ya know in limited its 180 grians and 170PF. Is there a common load for shotgunning? I used a IC choke today and I'll definatly go back to the mod. I've been using 8s and somebody suggested to go down to 7s.

For 3-gun I believe the only issue was that the size of shot is to be 7-8 only. Slugs that I used were Winchester rilfed slugs 1oz @1600fps and what ever the choke is for slugs is all I ever used. I think it was Improved cylinder, most targets for shotgun are fairly close.Never use a full choke with slugs.

I shoot 165s at 170pf.

That answer your question..?

:D

I also use the IC choke and Rem 3 dram x 1 1/8 #7 for everything that does not need...something else....

Keep a few high base 6s and a bunch of spreader loads along with some 00 and Reduced slugs and some.....

I'd guess that the most common shells are 7 1/2" (3 Dram , 1 1/8 oz) out of an IC choke.

See Merlin was that so hard lol.

Where is the best place, read cheapest, to get Remington STS or Winchester AA super-handicaps? I'll use the cheaper stuff for local match but want some quality stuff when it matters most.

I really like the Fed 100 pack from Walmart in 7.5. It is a 3 dram load with plenty of pop.

I have used IM for quite some time now and rarely switch it out. I carry a Cyl & Full choke with me.

Now, here is the important part.... KNOW YOUR PATTERN. Put an IPSC target at 35yds and see what you get. FYI, there are 350 # 7.5 BBs and 410 # 8 BBs in one ounce of shot. Full gets you more in that target, Cylinder gets you less.

If you have the time and space, set up two target stands and stretch some butcher paper between them, say 8 ft or so. Now pattern the gun @ 10, 20, 30 & 40 yds.

And remember, breaking clay pigeons on stands is different than knocking over poppers. One BB with score a clay. :)

Edited by warpspeed

Yeah, as soon as I can get a chance I plan to get out and pattern the gun. Its been running fine with the federals but I need to drop down to 7.5s I think.

Hell I maybe trying to bandaid a problem loads won't fix. I just need to stop trying to sweep the targets and aim the targets.

Yeah, as soon as I can get a chance I plan to get out and pattern the gun. Its been running fine with the federals but I need to drop down to 7.5s I think.

Hell I maybe trying to bandaid a problem loads won't fix. I just need to stop trying to sweep the targets and aim the targets.

I like the Federal Dram 7 1/2 and 8's. I've seen alot of guys shooting Remingtons and Winchesters and to me they don't seem to have the power of the Federals. Shooting a Texas Star with a shotgun is the real test. Federals just out perform everything else. I like the IC choke. It's good for everything.

If there are alot of steel targets in a stage I'll use 7 1/2. If there are alot of clays on sticks I'll use the 8's.

True you have to stop to hit the target. Call your shot and move the gun during recoil. I just learned this recently.

Hope this helps,

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

3 dram to 3 1/4 dram, 1 1/8oz to 1 1/4oz, 7 1/2's, for 90% of my shooting. as the magician said.......keep some heavy 6's or 4's available. I prefer Lt. mod. for most all my shooting, unless its all clays and close.

most importantly is knowing YOUR pattern.

Trapr

I keep 4 dram 6's handy, as well as buckshot.

Chris, the federal bulk pack from wally world?

Would it be worth the money to get one of the Briley extended chokes or just role with what I have...I.E. stock benelli. I've got a 18" barrel so I have about 3" of mag tube sticking out below that as well.

Edited by steel1212

Chris, the federal bulk pack from wally world?

Would it be worth the money to get one of the Briley extended chokes or just role with what I have...I.E. stock benelli.

Yes, they hit hard. That's what I was using in that video that I sent you. They knock the hell out of the steel.

Chris C.

Corey - look for Estate and Rio shot shells. I've had better luck and found better prices on both than the Wally world bulk packs. Like Merlin and Trapr, 90% of what I shoot is done with 3 1/4 Dram, 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2's but I always have a couple of boxes of 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4oz 6's with me. Federal LE Buck works in my Benelli and Fiocchi LE Slugs will cloverleaf at 50 yards with an IC choke and there is very little difference with a mod.

You might consider dropping your shot size down. I went to #9 last year, and it seems to take down the steel as well as heavier shot, and the dense pattern smokes the clays well. I thought that the smaller shot would give me some trouble at Ironman, but I was wrong. Win AA 3 dr., #9 worked great! I tried shooting some AA 2 3/4 dram w/#9 at a local match today, and it worked fine. I would prefer the 3 dram, but this stuff was on sale cheap at a local store. It should pattern a little better than the 3 dram stuff though.

YEs....when you get to shotgun, LOTS of choices.

For the most part, guys will use trap loads or heavy trap loads (7.5 or 8, some may even use 9).....then keep some game loads availible (4, 5 or 6). With the game loads, not only do you get more power, but as the shot size increases, the pattern gets tighter (as a rule of thumb).

Now, I am assuming we are just talking about shot to knock down steel plates and poppers......when you get to buck shot. A typical 12 gauge load holds 9 '00' pellets, unless youa re really manly and go with some of the offshore brands which can hold 12 pellets.....and can kick accordingly. Depending on your choke, they may have a tighter pattern or looser.....ymmv and you will need to pattern to see how they work for you.

Slugs???......Remmy, Fiochi, Fed, B&P, Wolf seem to float to the top.....the Winchesters for the most part are the most powerful ones out there.....and again, kick accordingly.

So really it all comes down to 1 choice......The one that works for you :) now you get to go to the range and see what functions in your gun, and where it patterns. Oh yeah.....when you find a load that works, buy atleast a case of it, if not more. My big preaching on that is that alot of people think that a load is a load is a load.....3 dram for Remmy, may not be the same as a Winchester of Federal. I've seen more people go to a match, buy 'some' ammo the night before.....then blame the gun for it not working. We don't do that with our pistol, or our rifle.....but heck, its just a shotgun, right??

Oh yeah.......get lots of BIG pieces of card board.

Edited by TRUBL

Don't find "just one brand" that works, find several. That way when you can't get your favorite shell, or you forget you favorite shells and you have to go to the nearest sporting goods outlet you know what works!! Shells are not created equal as Tim said. I have seen many jams that are blamed on the gun really be shell related! On top of that your favorite shell may not stay the same over time. IE. most of the time the Federal bulk pac at Wal-Mart has a real nice rounded crimp, last batch looked like the end of a blunder-buss, and would jam every 3-5 shots in even a pump shotgun! Look at a random sample before you buy the case and check each one before it goes into the gun if you are shooting a big match!

As for THE shotgun load it would have to be the 34 pellet #4 buckshot. Knocks the heck out of plates and steel, has enough pattern density for clays, and gives great patterns out of LtMod chokes....BUT most places don't allow buck so go find a good couple! KURTM

I had really good luck with the Win AA 7.5's. The shells are nice and smooth so they loaded really easily. The one recommendation that I heard recently was always go with 1 1/8 oz shot. Avoid the 1 oz loads. I've used both without problem, but the guy who told me weilds a shotgun a lot more effectively than me.

Actually an IC choke is good for a 30" pattern at 30 yards. Most of what we shoot is at 15-25 yards. At 20 yards your going to get 90-100% of the shot charge inside of a 30" circle.

Here's a link to a potentially useless Pattern Density Calculator application.

Edited by Chris

Actually an IC choke is good for a 30" pattern at 30 yards. Most of what we shoot is at 15-25 yards. At 20 yards your going to get 90-100% of the shot charge inside of a 30" circle.

Here's a link to a potentially useless Pattern Density Calculator application.

Remember also a 30" circle is plenty large enough to include the no-shoot target next to the plate your trying to shoot unless you aim off to compensate, which is a whole different can of worms !

N

Don't muddle this up with " knowing your pattern" and "aiming" with a shotgun, don't you want to do well when 2010 rolles around?? Let these Americans think they have all the answers Neil!

The federal 4 pack at walmart works just fine. I would suggest you practice and compete with the same load big match or small. If the shell works well in your gun and cycles reliability then you are pretty much good to go. You are basically shooting still targets not moving targets so alot less comes into play with that. You can keep the gun swinging through the targets but its alot different on a still target than a moving target. To make it work on a moving target you are moving the gun faster than the target and pull the trigger when its on target and the gun speed from when you think to pull the trigger to when it actually goes off creates the lead needed. On a still target you would have to almost shoot before you get to the target so when it goes off its on target. Confusing isn't it lol. So its probibally alot simpler to stop the gun for the shot.

Try taking a piece of wrapping paper etc and put a dot in the center and draw a 28/30 inch circle around it. Take a tight choke and shoot at the paper to see where the center of the pattern is located at. If the center of the pattern is low you need to raise the "back sight" ie your eye up some. The easy way to do this is go to a craft store usually where they sell felt. The have 8x10 sheets of self adhesive foam that is in thin sheets that you cut out and put right where your cheek goes. This moves your eye ie back sight up just like on a pistol or a rifle. Shoot some more patterns and add more till you get the pattern centered up.

If your benelli is the standard mobile chokes I can look I should still have a set of the briley chokes I had for my old beretta that will fir it if you want to try them out before ya spend the money on them