Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why the Switch?

drivingit

Ever try Crack?!

I didn't know that was somthing you...?Tryed? :goof:

The words are "something" and "tried." :rolleyes:

:blink: First taste is free! :blink: Don't try Open unless you are ready to spend a lot and smile a lot! :blink:

Besides, I'm into cheese now. :goof:

Edited by stockton

Ever try Crack?!

I didn't know that was somthing you...?Tryed? :goof:

The words are "something" and "tried." :rolleyes:

:blink: First taste is free! :blink: Don't try Open unless you are ready to spend a lot and smile a lot! :blink:

Besides, I'm into cheese now. :goof:

That is the truth. A local new shooter shot on my squad one day and wanted to shoot my open gun after we finished the last stage. A 6 round classifier. Then his daughter shot 6 rounds. The next week he ordered two Brazos custom open guns and a Dillon 650. That was the most expensive 6 rounds I have ever seen.

My edge has been sitting in my safe along with other sight gun's ever since I purchase my first dot gun.....now 5 gun's later I just cannot stop shooting Open.....it's addictive :)

I started USPSA in open and decided to go the other way for a while. My reasons for doing so are much the same as some of the reason you guys went to open. I think that both have benefits to the other. I've done more mag changes in the last two weeks than in 6months of open. One of my practice routines is to load 3 in the first mag and two in the other 5 and shoot 2 reload etc... In open I hardly ever practiced reloads because I didn't use them much. Also, shooting a gun with a 3' barrel really makes you focus on follow through which I was lacking shooting open. I haven't so much switched to production as I am using production to help train me for open.

Case and point. The other day I hadn't picked up an open for two weeks, but found some rounds in the bottom of my bag... knowing there were prob hot open rounds in there, I broke out the open and loaded them in there. Dropped eight in the A from 25 about as fast as I could go. I walked up and there they were all As. I think I missed something going directly to open when joining the USPSA. I'm taking a step back to see what I missed.

I'll will always be an open shooter, but I think it's good to shoot other disciplines too.

One of our club members came up to me after shooting my first open classifier and said, "If feels almost like you're cheating, doesn't it?"

I had to think on it, but after shooting limited and revolver so long and not seeing what I needed to, it really did feel like I was cheating. I'm not up to speed, but my hits are really good (except for that real long shot that I don't wait for the dot to come back on paper :blush: ).

I guess the thing I like the very best is that I can shoot with both eyes open. I have fought that battle for quite a few years in limited and revolver and could never get to where I didn't close one eye. But it is so easy to shoot with both eyes open on the open gun.

FWIW

dj

I shoot open for most of the reasons already written about. I started in 1988 in the open class and have been right on the equipment curve,from open .45's single stack, scoped and unscoped supers, and a 15 year old Caspian hi-cap.

The only limited gun that I have ever shot was Dick Heinie's STI framed limited gun a few months ago. I'm not sure that counts as it is a 9mm.... but big fiber optic front sight and lack of recoil could make me switch to something like that.

At 50 years old and fighting the big 3: Age, Eyes and Cancer, i'm just happy to be shooting, but there is no cure for the

"dark side".

My 20 year old son shot his first match in October with my hi-cap and since then I have offered to set him up with a Gock or XD for production class....guess how that went over! I have now been shooting the Springfield single stack open gun complete with an Aimpoint 5000 and and Ernie Hill Fas-Trac. Whats this reload every 10 feet stuff?? Dust the rust off those old relics in your gun safe!

I want my Hi-cap back.....................

Shoot what YOU like

Marty

A-7424

Sorry if thread drift

I started USPSA in open and decided to go the other way for a while. My reasons for doing so are much the same as some of the reason you guys went to open. I think that both have benefits to the other. I've done more mag changes in the last two weeks than in 6months of open. One of my practice routines is to load 3 in the first mag and two in the other 5 and shoot 2 reload etc... In open I hardly ever practiced reloads because I didn't use them much. Also, shooting a gun with a 3' barrel really makes you focus on follow through which I was lacking shooting open. I haven't so much switched to production as I am using production to help train me for open.

Case and point. The other day I hadn't picked up an open for two weeks, but found some rounds in the bottom of my bag... knowing there were prob hot open rounds in there, I broke out the open and loaded them in there. Dropped eight in the A from 25 about as fast as I could go. I walked up and there they were all As. I think I missed something going directly to open when joining the USPSA. I'm taking a step back to see what I missed.

I'll will always be an open shooter, but I think it's good to shoot other disciplines too.

JT,

One comment: practicing reloads with lightly loaded mags can be a trap. You may find that the next time in a match the FULLY loaded mag winds up at your feet after one shot. As me how I know :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

My kind of thread since I am newly converted to "open".

Bought an open gun because of eyesight issues, mostly indoors. Love the open blaster for it's sheer speed, and since I had the talk with my Mom, :surprise: I'm gonna keep shootin' it. :cheers::cheers:

I will say converting requires a different set of skills. I am just coming to grips with weak hand shooting, and also focusing on just the target plane. I still want to focus back and forth from targets to sight picture but it's getting better.

I'm going back to Limited, at least for a while, after Area 6. Maybe even some SS. We'll see the effects of openitis then. :blink:

My kind of thread since I am newly converted to "open".

Bought an open gun because of eyesight issues, mostly indoors. Love the open blaster for it's sheer speed, and since I had the talk with my Mom, :surprise: I'm gonna keep shootin' it. :cheers::cheers:

I will say converting requires a different set of skills. I am just coming to grips with weak hand shooting, and also focusing on just the target plane. I still want to focus back and forth from targets to sight picture but it's getting better.

I'm going back to Limited, at least for a while, after Area 6. Maybe even some SS. We'll see the effects of openitis then. :blink:

Boz,

After some years on iron sights it was kind of funny to go through that period when it took some time to realize that you had aimed enough and it was time to press the trigger. :goof:

JT,

One comment: practicing reloads with lightly loaded mags can be a trap. You may find that the next time in a match the FULLY loaded mag winds up at your feet after one shot. As me how I know :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

I'll keep that in mind when seating Chuck. :)

Boz,

After some years on iron sights it was kind of funny to go through that period when it took some time to realize that you had aimed enough and it was time to press the trigger. :goof:

You're exactly right, the gun is ready when I am not at times. :cheers:

Boz,

You're exactly right, the gun is ready when I am not at times. :cheers:

bingo!!!

Marty

Its just a whole lot more fun.

I shoot my limited gun occasionally & for 3-gun, and to tell the truth its boring.

Besides its so much fun to listen to the limited guys whine. They will say there gun is a "real gun" then in the same breath bash IDPA???? <_< If you don't shoot Open you cant whine about the tactical crud.

because it makes you a better shooter in all the other divisions.

you see the small mistakes that cost you time and then you apply the lesson learned on the iron sighted guns.

Harmon