Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range etiquette

steel1212

I must always be on my man period because I seem to post here a lot...anyway.

My little local range is nice and clean with nice benches but small. There is only 5 benches for rifle/pistol. I took my AR and my 1911 down there for some testing. I was by myself with the AR and luckly finished up testing my mag and was shooting my pistol before mister "I'm better than you" shows up.

The closest fixed target stand is 25 yards but there is a couple of target holders and sticks if you want to setup closer. We'll I have a metric target setup with a couple of shoot and sees at 25 yards in case somebody shows up so I don't have to go down range to see my hits and I'm really just make sure the sights are on, they weren't, at 25 yards. I get a mag or so down range and get the sights up to where they need to be and stopped for a second as "numero uno" shows up and I wanted to pick up my brass so not to get mixed up with his so I stop shooting and allow him to setup his target. He puts his target on the 25 yard stand and walks back and loads up mags for his sig. I get done picking up brass and load up some mags as well. About the time I get my mags loaded up he walks down range to MAYBE 10 yards away and starts shooting his 10" shoot and see...WTF? He saw me shooting at 25 yards when he came in. He saw my stuff sitting on the tables, he saw the stands and signs to shoot closer. He gets done and I ask him if he wouldn't mind setting up a target stand so I could shoot at 25 yards. He said na we can just take turns. This is 6:30 mind you and we are loosing light. I just said don't worry about it. He goes back to 10 yards and I do the same....weak hand. He was trying his best to get a good group and I'm moving at a good clip through some mags. He looks over like I'm going to fast and sees me shooting weak hand and a small ragged hole on the target and doesn't say a word. I pick up my brass and leave.

I really wanted to pick up my AR with my JP brake and go to 10 yards and blast a mag full into his ear. Hell maybe I'm just an ass. I know damn well I would have setup a stand if a guy was shooting like I was so he wouldn't have to stop.

People like that are referred to as Oblivions because they are oblivious to everyone and everything except themselves. They think the entire world revolves around them and that they are the only thing in the entire universe.

Sadly there are a lot of them. <_<

Sorry to hear that.

I had a guy keep going downrange to change targets while I was shooting on the other side of the range. I suppose one could say it was "real world" for me to have to do some kind of scanning technique between shots to make sure that asshat was still at his bench but it really stressed me out. It did not seem to faze him in the least bit that he should wait for a range clear or even to give me a heads up.

Ted

Edited by Ted Murphy

Sorry to hear that.

I had a guy keep going downrange to change targets while I was shooting on the other side of the range. I suppose one could say it was "real world" for me to have to do some kind of scanning technique between shots to make sure that asshat was still at his bench but it really stressed me out. It did not seem to faze him in the least bit that he should wait for a range clear or even to give me a heads up.

Ted

Those are the guys that get ranges closed or shooters bad names. He complains that you kept shooting when he was down range because he didn't tell you he was down range. Kind of makes you want to pop one off while he is down there....get a SPOTTING SCOPE!

I've dealt with that type too.

One day at the range, the local police swat (twat) team show up while I was shooting my triple douce, a Savage 340, - I know don't say it and using a spotting scope. Anyway I finish my string so that they can set up targets, we start shooting - they had 2 Rem 700's in .223 - after 5 rounds downrange they want to check their targets (grumle, grumble) so I let them go.

They come back and start again, after 5 more rounds they want to do the same again, at which point I gave them the range rules and etiquette - 20-30 mins between each relay so I made them wait 20 mins, but I also told them to invest in a spotting scope too. They didn't like any of this as they thought that they should have the range to themselves - WRONG - they are no different than any other member.

The target boards are 2' x 8' aspenite and my board was covered so that I could shoot all day and not go downrange.

Forgot to add that there guns (or them) were only shooting 1" or 1 1/4" groups whereas mine was shooting sub 1/2" groups. They did look at my targets.

Edited by RePete

I'm reminded of a similar Oblivian with the opposite problem. The outdoor pistol range I sometimes shoot at has a 25yd pistol range, with benches at 25, and ground markers (blocks) at closer distances. I'm the only one there, shooting at 7 yds doing drills. I go back to load more mags, and some other guy shows up. He starts shooting at 25, so there goes my close-up stuff. That all on its own didn't bother me, but he had no business shooting at 25. He might as well have saved the money he spent on a target, because he didn't need it. When I suggested we both go closer, he said he'd stop for a while and let me......no thanks. Bad shooting aside, his behavior told me I didn't want to be downrange of him. I had a feeling he'd be messing around with his guns while I was forward.

I'm reminded of a similar Oblivian with the opposite problem. The outdoor pistol range I sometimes shoot at has a 25yd pistol range, with benches at 25, and ground markers (blocks) at closer distances. I'm the only one there, shooting at 7 yds doing drills. I go back to load more mags, and some other guy shows up. He starts shooting at 25, so there goes my close-up stuff. That all on its own didn't bother me, but he had no business shooting at 25. He might as well have saved the money he spent on a target, because he didn't need it. When I suggested we both go closer, he said he'd stop for a while and let me......no thanks. Bad shooting aside, his behavior told me I didn't want to be downrange of him. I had a feeling he'd be messing around with his guns while I was forward.

I wish I was surprised to hear about this sort of behavior from other shooters, but I am not. Rude, intrusive, "I WILL TELL YOU HOW IT IS" people are all to common at the range - especially at some of the MD ranges I used to go to, like the AGC. Why can't people just let us practice our CCW, IDPA/USPSA or other drills & leave us alone?

People like that are referred to as Oblivions because they are oblivious to everyone and everything except themselves. They think the entire world revolves around them and that they are the only thing in the entire universe.

Sadly there are a lot of them. <_<

Sounds like I could make that a hate rant about driving.

they can get glad in the same pants they got mad in...

That cracks me up. I've never heard that one before... :lol:

It must be a southern thing. I can't relate how many times I heard my Daddy tell me the same thing :surprise:

dj

Wouldn't it be great if all the anti gunners out there found out that people with guns mind their manners, go home and post on the internet when some rude sob gets them really angry?

:cheers:

A profound statement on our nature. Not at all what the anti's want to believe!

they can get glad in the same pants they got mad in...

That cracks me up. I've never heard that one before... :lol:

It must be a southern thing. I can't relate how many times I heard my Daddy tell me the same thing :surprise:

dj

I think you are correct, sir...a Southern Thing...

This is part of a post from an RV forum I read. Seems that we are not alone.

Hey guys, you are all talking about the new "ant" generation, i.e. they are exorbitANT; expectANT; flamboyANT; defiANT; intolerANT; and the best two for last arrogANT; and of course ignorANT. Sometimes you just wish we could do a little chlorinating of the gene pool,

Jim

You know what I say to all this, make your own range where only you and your buddies can shoot. The neighbors keep complaining, but that's not gunna stop me from shooting my Remington 700 at 600yards. I checked with the sheriff and its completely legal. That's why I love living in a rural area! BTW, you're all welcome to stop by and you can shoot at 7 or 10 yards all day long!

Most of the public ranges I frequent would not allow this type of behavior. You can set your target up at 7 yards if you want, but shooting from anywhere other than the firing line is grounds for being asked to leave. How else can you insure safety when you have 10-15 people shooting side by side?