Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What should I do to prep for the RO class?

bofe954

I have about 2 weeks. I read the rule book when it got mailed to me and I will read it again between now and then. I know how my timer works. I have read the RO sticky stuff at the top of this forum.

Any suggestions? Those of you that have taught this class, anything that you really want people to know/do before the class?

Any suggestions? Those of you that have taught this class, anything that you really want people to know/do before the class?

Which end the bullet comes out of would be good. :)

You've read the book... that's pretty much all you need. All the answered are in there and the test is open book, so you shouldn't have any problem.

JT

Also a good idea to think over your match experience and recall any things that you saw but didn't understand (in terms of rules and stuff anyway). If those questions don't get answered in the course of the normal lecture then by all means ask.

I've met most of the RMI staff and they are all a bunch of really good guys that KNOW their stuff. Don't be surprised if they get you pointed in the right direction and then let you come to the right conclusion yourself. This is not because they don't want to tell you the answer but it is usually a better way to really LEARN stuff.

And have fun at class. It may seem like drudgery but it isn't. I have sat through the Level I twice (sat through the second time to help get numbers up so my local club could hold the class) and I learned a lot both times. If the opportunity comes up I'd have no qualms about spending a weekend sitting through the Level I again because I know I'd pick up on even more little things.

Enjoy!

I have about 2 weeks. I read the rule book when it got mailed to me and I will read it again between now and then. I know how my timer works. I have read the RO sticky stuff at the top of this forum.

Before I went I:

1. Read the rule book. Annotated it with notes in the margins. Sticky-noted it. Where rules referred to other rules, I jotted notes about the referred rules in the margin.

2. Read every Front Site NROI column I could find. Cross-referenced the discussions with the rule book.

3. Read through these forums, esp. the obvious ones (e.g., USPSA/IPSC rules).

4. Slept with the rule book under my pillow. Okay, I didn't really do that, but it sounded good. :P

I still learned a TON of stuff. Hope you enjoy the classes as much as I did.

If being around good shooters and good sports makes a person better, then I must be really good, because the class was full of great shooters.

Mike,

You may want to write down some questions that you have about the rules, and about things you've seen during matches that may not have made sense at the time. George is an excellent instructor. If he doesn't know the answer to a question on Saturday, he'll more than likely have the answer on Sunday.

Ed

It would not hurt to try to memorize the range commands. See the words in quotes under section 8.3

RO's are expected to be able to give the commands word for word. The class will probably spend some time on it. You will be ahead of the game if if you know them going in.

It would not hurt to try to memorize the range commands. See the words in quotes under section 8.3

RO's are expected to be able to give the commands word for word. The class will probably spend some time on it. You will be ahead of the game if if you know them going in.

I am actually planning on that, I read the big thread about range commands and decided I would try and be someone who uses the correct range commands.

You mean to tell me that "GAS HER UP, DUDE!" is not a proper range command?

:blink:

LOL!

Seriously, get a really good night's sleep the night before.

If your class is in another state, that say is in a different time zone, make sure you know that well in advance.

Don't ask me how I know that.

If you happen to have a laptop computer, it may not be a bad idea to download the .pdf of the latest rule book to it, and then bring your laptop to the class. If you don't use it in during the actual class, you may have a take home test at the end of the first day, and the search function in the .pdf is a wonderful thing.

Edited by Chills1994

I didn't do a thing but show up with a pencil, notebook and rulebook. The class went fine, and I know a lot more about the rules now than I did when I went so it was a good experience.

Don't sweat it, go to learn and take all you can get out of the class.

Having just finished coordinating a class ...

- go in rested, the suggestion above to bring a cushion is good

- plan on the first day being long-ish; dress for the weather on range day

- take advantage of breaks to stretch, clear your head, locate coffee

- pay attention to the presentation, take notes in the manual that you're given in class

- feel free to ask questions, especially if you're not 100% clear on something that's discussed or if your attention wandered and you think you missed something

- make sure that you can do the range commands in 8.3 verbatim, with your anxiety/arousal level jacked up because you're doing this live-fire in front of an instructor who determines if you pass or not (you WILL do it over until you pass, they want you to pass).

- get all the rest of the anxiety, pre-conceived notions, stress, expectations, etc, out of your brain; relax, absorb, enjoy

It's worth the time and work. Good luck.

The new rule book is easy to use. All the rules are USPSA specific. No more IPSC rules that don't apply (No extra reading for nothing). Also has a glossary and index. The second and final exam is open book. They don't want you to memorize the book, just know how to find the answer.

Great advise is to memorize the range commands 8.3.?. Old habits are hard to break.

Good Luck.

The cross references in the new USPSA rulebook are excellent. You look at a rule that says "Do this" and there is a reference to sectoin 10 where you learn the penalty for not doing it. Very simple to use system.

Oh and the range commands are important, as is your actual ROing. You WILL run a shooter and you WILL score his target. Be clear and concise. Watch EVERY move your shooter makes. The class is EXCELLENT. If you are already an RO, GO, if you are not, DEFINATELY GO!

You will be a much better competitor for this.

Oh and a Perfect Double inthe A-Zone is.......

Alpha-Mike

Jim

• 1 year later...

*merged*

I am taking the class in Colorado this February.

Is it the

"USPSA Handgun Competition Rules, January 2008"

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/

Or is it.

http://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesHandgun.pdf

I figure it's the first one. Should I already have recieved this book in the mail? I am a USPSA member of course but I don't think I have ever recieved this book.

Edited by Flexmoney