Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rafael sotelo's trigger kit updated info needed

leadslinger

can anyone who has tried this kit give updated evaluation? the old thread was over two years ago and i figure enough time has past to get a really good assessment of the trigger kit.

like's --- dislikes?

durability ---

overtravel or pretravel mod/adj needed or not?

What about light strikes?

thanks

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...lock%2020&st=0

http://www.triggerkit.com/main.sc

Edited by leadslinger

The consensus has been that for the money his trigger was decent. Heard of alot of doubling with his. I'm not even sure if its still the same price it used to be.

If you want the ultimate in trigger feel and performance......the Vanek drop in is highly regarded on this board. I have two Vanek triggers but have returned to all stock springs and 5# connectors. Its still an awesome trigger and has never let me down except one time where the 4# spring failed on me while running through a stage at 07 Nationals. Hence the reason to returning to all stock springs. The 5# connector made no change in break weight but gave it a crisper feel and shortened the reset.

And I think the supreme trigger goes to Jon Nagel of SJC but you have to send your gun to him for the work. He is able to get reliable 1 pound triggers and he eliminates all pre travel without disengaging any of the safeties. Some will say it can't be done but I assure you it is. The method is a little unorthodox,but he is able to perform it repeatedly and very well.

My production gun is at SJC right now getting his trigger with 0 pretravel done. It is going to remain with stock springs and 5# connector though. He still makes it feel like 3# and super crisp. Just add in light springs and 3.5# connector and it becomes a pound.

Sorry for the drift......kinda got off track and provided you with more info than you asked.

I have used both the Ralph Sotelo and Charlie Vanek triggers, and found that the Vanek is a bit more crisp and light. Both gents stand behind their product 100% and will talk to you personally if you have any questions or concerns.

Having a better trigger is nice, but is no substitute for proper fundamentals.

I have two sotelo trigger kits in my production guns (G17 and G34). I have used the one in the G34 for two years now. I change the wolfe comp springs once a year, about 15-20k rounds. I have had no light strikes that were not attributed to high primers. Take up is a bit shorter, overtravel is about the same. They are both in the 2lb range. They reliably ignite any primer except CCI and Military primers. Everything else goes boom. I am using stock strikers and cups in both. Absolutely solid performance from both kits and they are not getting changed out unless something breaks (which I doubt will happen).

I'd like to know who had "lots of doubling".

To my knowledge Ralph has had 1 kit ever returned since he began selling these. If you install the kit in its entirety, it WILL work. If you wanna mix and match parts from other sources, you may have problems, just like any other product you use. I also stand by my statement that if you are unhappy with it, I will buy it from you at the price you paid. It costs half of what all the others do.

Excellent trigger from an excellent guy for an excellent price.

I've got 4 years and over 20k down mine with no problems ever.

I have two sotelo trigger kits in my production guns (G17 and G34). I have used the one in the G34 for two years now. I change the wolfe comp springs once a year, about 15-20k rounds. I have had no light strikes that were not attributed to high primers. Take up is a bit shorter, overtravel is about the same. They are both in the 2lb range. They reliably ignite any primer except CCI and Military primers. Everything else goes boom. I am using stock strikers and cups in both. Absolutely solid performance from both kits and they are not getting changed out unless something breaks (which I doubt will happen).

+1

I have his kits in my

g20

g21

g17c

g34

BTW the total of these 4 kits cost me less than some pay for 1 kit of the competition!

I have a kit in my 17 and love it. My only problem was that it was actually too light for me. I use the stock trigger spring and now it is perfect for me. Never a light strike or any other problems. He is also a stand up guy. I dropped the safety plunger while cleaning the gun and couldn't find it. I asked him if I could by a new one and he sent me one for free. He wouldn't even let me send him money for the shipping. Now that is service.

Edited by Glshooter

I have the kit in my G17.I have had a few light strikes but I attribute those the the ammo,WWB because I had light strikes with that ammo with the stock trigger.Last year at a major IDPA match the gun triple fired and then jammed,I and others who know more than me suspect that some debris lodged between the striker and the channel and caused a slam fire.I have put maybe 1,500 rds through it since and it has not happened again.If there are any doubts about this forum member Gunsablazing was a witness.And BTW the 3 rds were dead center in the 0 zone. :D

My Sotelo kit never had any doubling issues or light strikes. The trigger spring, however, is prone to breaking as it is a bit heavier than the stock spring. You're going to want to have extra springs just in case.

My Sotelo kit never had any doubling issues or light strikes. The trigger spring, however, is prone to breaking as it is a bit heavier than the stock spring. You're going to want to have extra springs just in case.

Thanks for replies guys. trigger srpings breaking concerns me.

Thanks for replies guys. trigger srpings breaking concerns me.

any glock competition trigger kit will have this issue. any OEM trigger system also has this potential. don't let it concern you. Just prepare for it and carry an extra spring.

Anyone have any info on how much overtravel if any, in the Sotelo kit.

Slightly less than stock and more than the Vanek. Vanek kits come with a new ejector block/trigger housing with overtravel screw installed so that you can adjust. LWD also sells the ultimate trigger stop which can be added to the Sotelo triggerkit for similar results as the Vanek.

might as well go with the glock worx trigger kit. After all is said and done there is probably about 30 dollars difference between them if you add the LED ultimate trigger stop. From what i have been able to research glock worx is comparable and they sell a tac version that is OK for regular carry. I am not really looking for competition just a better than stock trigger.

What about pre-travel/take-up compared to stock?

As far as I can tell, both pre and overtravel on RS kit are identical to stock. I found nothing in the kit that would reduce either.

My trigger would not reset properly with both springs installed. I eventually ended up with the stock trigger spring and lighter striker spring. That was still a vast improvement over stock trigger.

I found RS kit to be well worth the money. As time passed I have made various adjustments and changes. At this point only the blended safety plunger remains from the original kit.

Slav

...My trigger would not reset properly with both springs installed....

--drift

edited pending review of some new findings...

drift--

eta: I love my Sotelo triggers...

Edited by kevin c

I tried the Sotelo kit in my 2nd gen G17 and G22. Nice pull and break, but the reset was so weak that the trigger safety lever wouldn't kick out far enough to engage sometimes. I also had problems with one of the trigger safeties hitting the frame on the pull in my G22 sometimes, creating a "trigger jam." I ended up returning the kits. Rafael was very cool about it and even sent me some different striker springs to try. Just couldn't make it work to my satisfaction, so he let me return them. I don't know if this was just because my guns are really old or what. I now try to keep the triggers as close to stock as possible - some polishing mainly, but I do like the LWD connector. I currently run a Wolff reduced striker spring, but I bought some stock Glock springs to experiment with clipping coils when I get a chance. Then again, I may end up just using unmodified stock striker springs. Not to take anything away from guys like Sotelo and Vanek, they both make fine products as evidenced by many happy shooters. But a trigger job won't compensate for bad trigger pulling (been there!) The Glock trigger mechanism is such a delicate balance of opposing spring tension that I'm not sure the benefits of major modifications are worth the potential side effects such as light strikes, questionable safeties and so on. I've chosen to keep it simple and just practice. Maybe it's that my guns, which are almost all retired police guns, just don't like those race parts! :P

I tried the Sotelo kit in my 2nd gen G17 and G22. Nice pull and break, but the reset was so weak that the trigger safety lever wouldn't kick out far enough to engage sometimes. I also had problems with one of the trigger safeties hitting the frame on the pull in my G22 sometimes, creating a "trigger jam." I ended up returning the kits. Rafael was very cool about it and even sent me some different striker springs to try. Just couldn't make it work to my satisfaction, so he let me return them. I don't know if this was just because my guns are really old or what. I now try to keep the triggers as close to stock as possible - some polishing mainly, but I do like the LWD connector. I currently run a Wolff reduced striker spring, but I bought some stock Glock springs to experiment with clipping coils when I get a chance. Then again, I may end up just using unmodified stock striker springs. Not to take anything away from guys like Sotelo and Vanek, they both make fine products as evidenced by many happy shooters. But a trigger job won't compensate for bad trigger pulling (been there!) The Glock trigger mechanism is such a delicate balance of opposing spring tension that I'm not sure the benefits of major modifications are worth the potential side effects such as light strikes, questionable safeties and so on. I've chosen to keep it simple and just practice. Maybe it's that my guns, which are almost all retired police guns, just don't like those race parts! :P

I have his triggers in 3 guns. All do the same thing you experienced. I just took a little material off the rear of the trigger safety lever, where it contacts the frame, and all is well. Like someone else did, I have tried the 5 lb. connector in a couple guns and like what I got. 1/2 to 3/4 lb. heavier, and a shorter, crisp release. And better, more positive reset.

I also experience light strikes in a couple of guns. It seems that his safety plunger is overly rounded and it wasn't being completely depressed during the trigger pull. When I replace his with the OEM part (polished), the light strikes go away, and it makes very little difference in the trigger pull. Also, I found that with my G17 Open gun I needed at least a full length 13 lb. recoil spring, preferably 15 lb., to get consistent return to battery and eliminate light strikes.

...took a little material off the rear of the trigger safety lever, where it contacts the frame, and all is well....

If I'm not mistaken, I think Ralph did that (leave the pad on the rear of the lever, rather than thinning it as he did before) on his recent trigger kits to avoid any controversy about visible "external" modifications not being allowed in Production. But the short reset also happens with the older kit I have. It seems to be, as pointed out above, a multifactorial problem. I thought I had it doped out (different style ejector housings, different springs), but still don't have it down.

I have 2 RS triggers. I did not like the 6lb trigger spring they use just for those reasons, weak reset, and the trigger safety binding on the frame. Like was said above i had to put the stock 5lb trigger springs back in them. At the beep i couldn't feel the difference, and i liked the stronger reset.

I have 2 of the triggerkit.com triggers. i love them. The second one I bought had a couple doubles and triples. It turned out it was the safety plunger he supplies. It was too rounded off. i swapped it out with the stock one and it worked fine. It wasnt quite as crisp with the stock plunger, but still a great trigger for a great price.