Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack in IPSC!?

P.E. Kelley

Well, Uncle Vinny did use the word "innovative" and says it will make the SS competitive.... Hmmmm... WTF is going on here...? :D

The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the scoring system to make SS's competitive.

1 shot per target? Highest score per target counts (AC=AA, CD=CC)?

My guess is as good as anyone's, but I like to guess so I post it anyway ;):P

Guessing..could be fun.

How about an "alibi"...for gun malfunctions.

Is IPSC still at 9 rounds max per position ?

Yes still 9 rounds. Both Single Stacks and 8-shot revolvers could play better @ 8 rounds per array.

But that might be something Flex, IPSC going to 8 rounds. I'd like it.

How about this:

Maximum required shots per position does not mean you have to have that number just that you cannot require more.

SS as a stand alone division, gee, sort of like all the other divisions, really, Open and limited are not scored together, why would we think that SS would be scored together with another division.

SS is 'Competitive" if you don't try to run it in standard or Limited. I am surprised that IPSC is or may be proposing a division that has a round count limit. That was always one of Mr. Pintos arguments re USPSA Production. He didn't want to set a limit in any divisoin since somegovernment somewhere would decree that if you only needed X to shoot a division, why did you need more to shoot any division.

Jim

How about this:

Maximum required shots per position does not mean you have to have that number just that you cannot require more.

SS as a stand alone division, gee, sort of like all the other divisions, really, Open and limited are not scored together, why would we think that SS would be scored together with another division.

SS is 'Competitive" if you don't try to run it in standard or Limited. I am surprised that IPSC is or may be proposing a division that has a round count limit. That was always one of Mr. Pintos arguments re USPSA Production. He didn't want to set a limit in any divisoin since somegovernment somewhere would decree that if you only needed X to shoot a division, why did you need more to shoot any division.

Jim

IPSC has been looking at making a 15 round count limit in production

How about this:

SS is 'Competitive" if you don't try to run it in standard or Limited. I am surprised that IPSC is or may be proposing a division that has a round count limit.

IPSC has been looking at making a 15 round count limit in production

IPSC tosses around a variety of PD mag cap limits, but with the exception of Revolver (already capped at 6, has been forever), any proposal along those lines is met with a lot of resistance. The byzantine mag rules in IPSC may break the camel's back someday, but not anytime soon.

I am surprised that IPSC is or may be proposing a division that has a round count limit. That was always one of Mr. Pintos arguments re USPSA Production. He didn't want to set a limit in any divisoin since somegovernment somewhere would decree that if you only needed X to shoot a division, why did you need more to shoot any division.

You must be confusing your old pal with another Mr. Pinto - the one running the Global Village has been plugging for a 15 round limit for ages. It's other people who've been arguing about Governments adopting tougher capacity rules based on IPSC rules.

The SS "teaser" is interesting though. The question is will their plan be "shock & awe" or "shockingly awful"?

:)

Well, Uncle Vinny did use the word "innovative" and says it will make the SS competitive.... Hmmmm... WTF is going on here...? :D

The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the scoring system to make SS's competitive.

1 shot per target? Highest score per target counts (AC=AA, CD=CC)?

My guess is as good as anyone's, but I like to guess so I post it anyway ;):P

Sounds like the old Paladin concept that Rick Miller tried to get off the ground years ago.

Just a guess, IPSC SS Div. will not be compatible with USPSA SS Div. Like no box, no weight limit,no mag limit, equipment placed any where........................

Anything that will cause confussion between the two.

Rich

Just a guess, IPSC SS Div. will not be compatible with USPSA SS Div. Like no box, no weight limit,no mag limit, equipment placed any where........................

Rich

That is what I've been thinking :ph34r:

Rich

Yes, its the line about "we try to innovate, not copy" that worries me. Heaven forbid either group copies the other one. Why would anyone copy something that already in place and successful? As I say at work, "we need to quit 'improving' things, its killing me".

Rich

I doubt that. I think both USPSA and IPSC have learned that discrepancies between the rules work for no one. Might be wishful thinking though.

IMO (as a European IPSC shooter) I think IPSC should look closely (equipment-wise) at the USPSA division.

My guess, and it is only that, would be that they would try to do something logical with single stack. Like making it a division for single stacks, not just 1911's. Since there are a lot of countries involved in IPSC, many of them do not have the heritage with the 1911 that the US does. However the HK P7M8, Sig 220, S&W 4506, 3913 etc. could make good guns for competition, especially for folks with smaller hands. Maybe innovative could mean actually allowing the majority of single stacks types into the division called single stack instead of picking one arbitrary set of rules and saying the 1911 is the only way to go.