Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Ft Benning 3 Gun

I have to give a great big thanks to the AMU gunsmith that fixed my pistol after the ambi thumb safety broke on stage 1 before I could even fire a shot. He saved the rest of the match for me. The half-roof on stage 8 kicked my butt! I got up to where I thought I should be, and slid down a couple feet. It was like the last obstacle on American Gladiator, but without a rope to pull yourself back up. I finished 3rd on the stage 3 and was down right pleased until Jerry M. told me his time was 10 sec. faster. His shotgunin' is a sight to behold. As for the wind on stage 8 on Sunday, that's my excuse. I asked Jerry M. at the prize table if he would leave that DSA FAL for me, and he said he would. Too bad it didn't make it down to where I finished!

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back home in nice WARM Florida. Have a half smile half frown stuck on my face.

To everyone, All the RO's that put up with my kicking myself the entire first day{ ya you Trapper}, Linda, Sgts. Hampton and Johnson, the cute blond, the generous sponsors, The GI that got stuck cleaning the AK's and M203, Teran for showing me what fast is, Thank you.

The Army and AMU have set a new bar for matches. I am thinking a dozen slugs off the bridge :roflol: ??

I do like the new Horner scoring system, seems to add just a bit of accuracy challenge to the game.

May want to use fault line boards instead of rope, have great video of getting kicked by Trapper and Jack T. taking a header.

Challenge coin? I guess I shouldn't have ended up in Alabama the first morning, still debating who was navigating?

WOW

Home safe and sound after A VERY fun and WELL run match. Stages were well thought out and the mix kept the shooter thinking all times. Which as we all know is a very hard thing to do once you wrap your hand around a M203 or other fun odd tools. Or start a walk thru and pop smoke at the same time :goof:

One think for the future which has been stated above with regards to foot fault lines. The use of rope did give a good visual reference. But this allowed the shooter to gain a small extra distance advantage. One poor design I saw was on stage #3 Shotgun. Here there was a small wood furring strip staked into the ground at the back of the pit. During one squad one shooter placed his foot on it and he was given a procedural, which was correct. But the use of a small wood block made it hard for the shooter to feel it under foot. Then another shooter from the same squad during his retreat movement clearly step over and out of the shooting area. But maintained a safe muzzle control at all times. The RO verbally advise the shooter to move forward before he fired a round. He should have been allowed to shoot and then be given penalizes for his shots fired outside of the fault lines.

Being that this was the only fault I found in the match, TWO Thumbs up for a job well done.

And the coin is now on proud display. And will be in pocket at next years match, cold beers a plenty then :D

Trapr.....stage 2 with Lund was purely priceless. My battery in my camera puked just at that stage that day. That was our last stage on Friday and had already recorded 4 shooters at 4 other stages.

What I wouldn't give to have that video. I do have the video of him trashing stage 7 though although not quite as funny until you know the reason why he trashed it.

Great match. Stage 7 was my favorite. No where else can you run out the back of a Bradley and run through a trench system shooting at a competition. Shooting the AK, the M203, and riding in the Stryker all make this a match that a civilian run 3 Gun would be hard pressed to replicate in terms of cool factor.

I had a great time shooting with squad 1. My friend that is new to 3 Gun and came with me to shoot the match commented that 3 Gunners are a much more friendly crowd than some other disciplines he participates in. I wish I had video of Charles running up the roof on stage 8 and shooting the first two targets standing, that was action movie worthy :roflol:

This was the second year for Trooper at Fort Benning. I liked the fact that the lunch provided was MREs. Having the Stryker drop us off a ways from stage 8 was a nice and appropriate surprise. Definitely looking forward to shooting there again next year and seeing what additional challenges they come up with for Trooper shooters.

I didn't really want to post this since I did so poorly on it but nobody else is posting a video of the trench stage to see how cool it really was. Heres my crappy run on stage 7.

:unsure: What part did you do "So Poorly" on? :mellow: Makes me feel old & slow and inacurate. <_< I couldn't even work my camera rite when I tryed to video that stage.

:bow: your time was good for the top 20

I didn't really want to post this since I did so poorly on it but nobody else is posting a video of the trench stage to see how cool it really was. Heres my crappy run on stage 7.

:unsure: What part did you do "So Poorly" on? :mellow: Makes me feel old & slow and inacurate. <_< I couldn't even work my camera rite when I tryed to video that stage.

:bow: your time was good for the top 20

I wasted alot of time on the plate rack at 120 yards. Namely the flash target on the right. I had to do a reload and then went back to pick up the first target and the RO said "Go". So I assumed it was hit. But I turned a 75 second run into 98. But yes.....I was surprised to see that it was in the top 20.

Tod: I admire you for posting these stages regardless of how you feel about your personal performance on these stages. That many of us would die for the change to put in a top 20 result on a stage is just our envy. What you are doing by posting videos is promoting these matches in a very unique manner. Thank you.

It would seem Tod that the new scoring system that you introduced earlier would have benifitted YOU best on that stage. Maybe then you wouldn't have stomped back uprange and demanded a reshoot. :-P

There was no demand....it was asked and politely denied. :D

I cannot add much to the praise that has already been given to the AMU and volunteers that made this match possible. This was the most challenging, rewarding and well run match of my 2-1/2 year shooting career. I did leave Ft. Benning with a swelling of pride that came from spending the weekend in the company of our nations finest soldiers, the underpayed ladies and gentlemen who pay the ultimate sacrifice for the security we all enjoy. I do not remember being in the presence of so many professional, courteous and hard working individuals. I only hope I can make it back next year.

Thanks, it was an honor.

Jeremy Parker

P.S. I would like to have seen Old Glory flying high on the flag pole.

Its true that this match gets better year on year and has to be the best in the US for stage design, dedication by the hosts to the shooters and the 'cool factor'. I got to RO stage 7 after some begging and that was the best stage to run all weekend even though it was kinda busy ! It was great to work with the other stage 7 RO's and army guys - hope we get teamed up next year !! Where else in the world at a shooting competition do you have an Olympic gold medal winner painting the steel on a stage or the newly crowned World Limited pistol Champion pre loading your AK !! I was proud to speak to and shake both their hands and what struck me most about PFC Hancock and Travis is how humble and down to earth they both are. Many thanks to Aaron, Robbie, Dan, Linda and Sandra for all their dedicated hard work - FB3G STRONG !!

The Challange coin was outstanding, and many congrats to the Winners - especially my mate Kelly who was shooting for the greater good. Why he is dedicated.

It was great seeing old mates, meeting fellow BE'ers and making new friends. The Pre Ft Benning Practice Party was a blast - thanks Jeffie :cheers: Remind Sandra to keep it stuck out for me ! :wub:

Cant wait to the FB3G 2009.

It would seem Tod that the new scoring system that you introduced earlier would have benifitted YOU best on that stage. Maybe then you wouldn't have stomped back uprange and demanded a reshoot. :-P

There was no demand....it was asked and politely denied. :D

Everybody sing along (to the theme of "Flipper")

They call him RETOD, RETOD, RETOD, King of the reshoot................. :roflol:

Sorry Tod couldn't resist.

What a great match! A big thank you to all the AMU staff who put on a truely world class match. A big thank you to Jeff who let us destroy his house and litter his range with brass for 5 days before the match. I really enjoyed all the stages. Great Job!

The strangest thing in the match, I saw, happened to Mike Darby from the UK. While shooting off the "roof" on stage 8 he suffered a catastophic jam while engageing his second to last target. It seem that the BRAND NEW Remington brass I loaded for him for precision ammo had a .222 Remington case in with the rest of the .223 Remington cases. These two cases are a bit different and yet the overall length is just about the same. Hell the darn thing even passed the case gage. Anyway when it chambered it went too deep into the chamber and the extractor couldn't grab it to yank it out. I feel real bad about ruining his match! He said he would never trust reloads again and I don't blame him! Really check that brass is the lesson here! I finally got his 3 guns cleaned and ready for storage so they will be ready for his next trip over.

A great big debt of gratitude is owed to Linda and Sandra who got the whole match scored and results out the fastest I have ever seen at a major match! Great job all-yall! KurtM

Finally, kudos to Bruce Piatt who put on the finest shooting I saw at the match, shooting Stage 8 with only one makeup shot with iron sights, shaming all of us scoped shooters. Amazing.

Nice comment Kelly. It sounds like Bruce was the man of the weekned. I got this from one of Bruce's sponsors.

FARMINGDALE, NY, December 7, 2008 – Returning champion Bruce Piatt won the Tactical Iron Division at the Fourth Annual Fort Benning Tactical 3-Gun Championship, held in Columbus, GA. Hosted by the US Army Markmanship Unit, the match is unique because stages incorporate the use of military weaponry.

be

Wanted to add a BIG THANK YOU to all the AMU, all the RO's, Linda and Sandra. I thought the scoring system worked out well and couldn't believe how fast the finals were completed. Squad 15 was a pleasure to shoot with. A lot of thought had to go into these stages- I shot Heavy Metal and only had to do one standing, make that perched on a roof, RELOAD. Although I had read the citations it was a nice touch to have them read before each stage!! As for three days or starting the shooting earlier, I have a thought. Why not have the match in the late summer when the days are much longer. I assume the AMU has it the same time each year for a reason though, either training or their match schedule may not allow any other time period. Ive been fortunate to be able to shoot this match every year so far, and Hamp has his hands full to top this match. However it wont surprise me if next year is even better. Maybe we can run through the trench with the AK47?? Also really appreciated the comments before the awards!! Congrats to all the winners and especially Kelley Neal, looks like the switch from heavy metal didn't hurt your game at all.

Craig Auman