Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Ft Benning 3 Gun

Guess there was a problem with server, I got an error message and nothing happened at all. Said there was problems with the server. then all at once I got the page for the application and to find out I am #168. A friend of mine on dial up has a single digit number. Problem some place I would say...

I responded to you privately about this, but since we are also posting it here, I will post my response here too. The system 'froze' or 'slowed down' or gave error messages to many of you, but because I had built some redundant routines into it, it basically did what it was designed to do.

Your sign in time was 18:30:20:07 (it records time to 100ths of a second). That is your "On Click" time. Your message to me indicated that it took "several minutes" for the second page to appear after you hit the submit button. The time it took the second page to appear did not affect your time. I posted this message earlier today on the BE Forum:

You are assigned a unique 8 digit number "On Click" of the submit button. If it seems to take a while for the next page to show up, that is not slowing you down. The 8 digit number is added to the info you typed & sent to the company that is harvesting the information. If there is a slow down due to congestion, it will allow me to match the number with the time you actually signed in.

So everyone goes into the match based on the "On Click" time stored on the first server - not the time the info took to transfer to the company that harvested the data. There were over 300 people trying to sign in during the first minute. I apologize for the fact that the match is very popular. I specifically designed the sign in to harvest information and times "On Click" so that those who were using high speed access would not have an advantage over those on dial-up.

I realize that it is impossible to design a system that will make everybody happy. You are currently number 8 on the waiting list & I suspect you will be in the match before the week is out. There are a number of people with much higher numbers who would be pleased with that position.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2008 Ft Benning 3 Gun Statistician

Edited by LChico

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 2:30 AM on the East Coast & I need to get some sleep so I can work tomorrow. Will get the rest of the waiting list notified tomorrow evening. Sorry about the delay. The response was a bit overwhelming.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

In at # 78.

Crashed web sight 3 times trying, then waiting got me nervous.

But of course it was all for not as Linda has worked everything out, and has depleted the South East of coffee and chocolate?

Now waiting for December.

Mine went through the first time at 6:30:01 and I'm #37. I was kind of worried because I was working so I was using my laptop in my car off a weak wireless signal from a hotel parking lot..... :surprise:

I'm in. As usual Linda has done an excellent, efficient job even with the preplanning all while scheduling and preparing to work several other major matches. Linda, my hat is off to you for always going above and beyond to make things easier for the shooters.

I'm stoked... I made it in as #11. Was all prepped and ready to go when the ball dropped and I hit the button. Did not get the dreaded error message, got a positive response the first time. Linda this was a great job on the registration!

I'm 33rd on the waiting list, so the waiting game begins. Dial up sucks! I should have had the thing fired up and waiting, but I didn't. Now I have to hope some of you guys forget about the 14th. !@#%$#&!!!!!!

I'm 33rd on the waiting list, so the waiting game begins. Dial up sucks! I should have had the thing fired up and waiting, but I didn't. Now I have to hope some of you guys forget about the 14th. !@#%$#&!!!!!!

Dude......don't sweat it. You'll get in. 33rd is nothing. You'll get in with probably two months notice at minimum if not more. Linda got me in 3 years ago and there was like 80 something on the list. She cleared the list then and every year so far.

Yeah, I know I'll get in, it's just that I swore I would not have to wait on the list like I did last year. Plus my two buddies got in in the 50 range. Linda's email was very kind, pretty much "don't sweat it, I am magic," which she is. I wouldn't want anyone else running this show! Check went out in the mail today!

I have a scoring question. = ? The match win and placement is by % points for each stage determined by the time for the stage. ?Correct? And so -Each Stage- is worth the same amount of points regardless of the "Time" required to shoot the stage. ?Correct?

So a stage that only takes 10 seconds to complete is worth the same "points" 100 for first as a stage that takes 40 seconds to complete. = is that correct?

It sounds like how our club has scored our hand-gun matches for the past 20 + years.

I have a scoring question. = ? The match win and placement is by % points for each stage determined by the time for the stage. ?Correct? And so -Each Stage- is worth the same amount of points regardless of the "Time" required to shoot the stage. ?Correct?

So a stage that only takes 10 seconds to complete is worth the same "points" 100 for first as a stage that takes 40 seconds to complete. = is that correct?

It sounds like how our club has scored our hand-gun matches for the past 20 + years.

That is the way I read 9.2 of the rules but I assume Linda will get you a more definite answer when she sess this.

The unpublished rule is that all scores earned by shooters from other than the eastern time zone will be adjusted. :)

Alamo Shooter, you are correct in that the winner of each stage will get 100%, and every one else will get a percentage of that. I feel it is more fair, because if you went by a straight time system, some of the people are going to "time out" a stage due to long shots, wind etc... This gives all of the stages equal weight. Of course there are some who will kick butt in every stage, but for us mere mortals, this helps you if you blow a stage. Just don't keep blowing stages. The worst hole to climb out of is the deep one you dug for yourself! ;)

Umm. . . Not exactly. We are in the process of making some modifications to the scoring. I have sent the draft revision to Aaron and the AMU to review and hope to post the 2008 revised rules in the next day or two. The rules on the website now still say 2007.

The match win and placement is by % points for each stage determined by the time for the stage. ?Correct?

Close. The Division win and placement is by % points for each stage determined by the raw time for the stage with all penalties or bonus time added. We have separate prize tables for each division. We don't do combined prize tables. Heavy Metal does not compete against the Open shooters, just the other Heavy Metal competitors.

-Each Stage- is worth the same amount of points regardless of the "Time" required to shoot the stage. ?Correct?

Again, close. Not all stages are worth 100 points this year. Single gun stages are 100 points, 2 gun stages are 125 point and 3 gun stages are 150 points. But it is true that the point value of the stage is fixed, regardless of the average time required to complete the stage. If there are is a pistol and shotgun stage that takes the average shooter 60 seconds and a pistol and rifle stage that takes the average shooter 120 seconds, they are both worth 125 points because they both require 2 weapons.

Time for a little background. The AMU wanted to change the scoring last year in 2007. One of the complaints we had heard many times was that the match did not stress accuracy. (that 'M' in AMU does stand for 'marksmanship' ;) )

I had spent months (6 or 7 months) designing a scoring program based on the 2006 rules. Since they wanted to change the scoring in September (just a few months before the match), I talked them into waiting a year. Scoring had been the biggest problem at the 2005 & 2006 matches. I did not want to attempt a quick modification of the scoring program for 2007 and risk another stats meltdown (computer & personal :huh: )

To see a preview of the changes we have planned, please see the following Forum post from last year:

Daniel Horner's post on 3 gun scoring modifications

This scoring system will be VERY similar to the system used at the recent Blue Ridge Mountain 3 Gun match in Virginia.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Thanks Linda

The hand-gun club that I run has used that very same scoreing for over over 25 years, and I have scored every match for the past 16. I found it interesting that the scoreing is so very close to the same.

A match that rewards Accuracy....I like the sound of that

Linda that sounds like a very good way to score the match. I remember the frustration of the first two Ft Benning tournaments. Last year seemed much better, at least outside the stats building. Thanks for all the hard work and determination, see you in December.

Speaking as one of the tried and true pickers of flashlights from the previous prize table, I am excited about this match no matter what scoring system is used!

Hey, I've got 3 Surefire's from that match :blush:

What?????????????????????????????????//

Accuracy??????

you people are so evil.

SPEED SPEED SPEED

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/style_emot...ault/roflol.gif

It makes no difference how you score, I am just so very happy to be able to come out and play.

Hats off to the AMU for putting this on no matter how much or how little room they get to use, I know the match will be top shelf. What ever you chose will be fine. Thank you Linda and Aaron for all you hard work and headaches.

Ty Gentry

Trapr - It's only like IDPA in that they score points down. We used it at Blue Ridge and it worked well. The 15 second penalty for targets over 100 yards made people at least try and the points down made people slow down enough to get decent hits. Otherwise it's like IMGA in that it's scored on a percentage (IDPA is not).