Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I want to build my own single stack.

rhgunguy

So I shot a RRA 1911 and was amazed by the accuracy and handling but alarmed by the cost. Then I got the bright idea to try and build my own 1911 for a fun project and to learn some gunsmithing. Now I am mechanicaly inclined but I have no idea as to how to assemble a 1911 of the quality I want.

My questions are:

1)Are there any resources as to gunsmithing techniques that I can get such as books or DVDs?

2)What mfr makes the kind of quality components that I am looking for?

Thanks in advance!

A RRA is not that bad cost wise if you consider you will spend anywhere from $1200.00-$1800.00 for parts that are equal in quality to the RRA. Then you just have parts, each will need to be fit precisely and some may require machine work. If you are not set up to do that, more money. Building your own is great fun, I just don't know if doing it to save money works. I have built my own and they turned out good, are they as good as the couple that I bought the parts and then had my gunsmith build for me? No.

Let me clairfy, I consider the RRAs cost to be huge for something I just put money on the table for. If I break even or come out a little behind I consider it worth the money because I am learning and doing. I will have something that I put together with my hands rather than just paying for.

Just building one? Not only are the parts over a grand (top shelf), the tools cost some too. They don't just "assemble", they take some good fitting work for quailty.

You might find some satisfaction from buying a good off-the-shelf gun as a platform to work over and customize. That gets you into a gun in the $500-700 range most likely. Then, you have something to shoot the whole time too.

Lots of good info on the 1911forum.com

?

You could also consider the Cylinder and Slide gunsmithing courses offered.

The class gives you the tool list and the time and space to focus on such a project.

At one point I've thought about the same, build my own and have the satisfaction that I'm shooting what I built.

It's one option, not the cheapest though.

Click here for Cylinder and Slide pistol class webpage

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/1911class_new.shtml

Hello: I would buy a Spartan and fit different parts to it. AGI make a great DVD on building 1911's from a pistol and kits as well as a complete build. If you have a machining background it will help alot. Take your time and have fun. Thanks, Eric

Just building one? Not only are the parts over a grand (top shelf), the tools cost some too. They don't just "assemble", they take some good fitting work for quailty.

You might find some satisfaction from buying a good off-the-shelf gun as a platform to work over and customize. That gets you into a gun in the $500-700 range most likely. Then, you have something to shoot the whole time too.

Lots of good info on the 1911forum.com

?

A couple of years ago, I got the same itch you are having right now. I received a lot of encouragement. But, when I did my research, I did not see the upside, I instead preferred to spend my time shooting and dry-firing.

If you do it, there are plenty that will give some great advise and help you along.

I think the cost of a do it yourself is much more expensive than buying a good gun. Remember, your time is worth money, the tools required to make the gun, the parts, and as a beginner, let's face it, you are going to need to order a few part/component duplicates, as you are going to ruin some parts. Or at least that is what Benny tells me happens to Merlin :devil:

Good luck either way.

A friend of mine's dad is a big bullseye shooter (he was an alternate for the Olympic team many years ago), and he advised me that if I wanted to learn to build 1911s, I should do what he did and buy a Norinco for cheap, invest in some tooling, and have at it. These days Norincos seem to be getting expensive for what they are, but you could probably do the same thing with a $300 Rock Island Arsenal 1911. At the end of the day you'll still have a gun that's worth $300, but you won't feel bad when you inevitably screw something up.

I have built 2. I took the Dave Sample online class, basicly because I wanted to know how the 1911 worked. Top shelf parts will run $1000 or so. Finish will add 150 - 200, depending on what you go with. Tools, jigs, files and stones will run close to $500. I wrecked several parts and got to buy them twice. If I started over tomorrow, I would go with something like a Springer mil spec and change out parts as I went.

If you are gifted mechanically, you may end up with something close to a RRA, but it's doubtful on the first one.

You can buy cheap parts that fall in place with little or no fitting, but it will not be in the class of a RRA or custom built gun. Sites with info on building a 1911 include: Roderus gunsmithing. Blindhogg, and Brownells has some articles.

Hope this helps,

Rik

Cheaper than the C&S class is the 1911 courses offered by the NRA at various colleges around the country. Cost is MINIMAL. You can even stay in the dorms for like $60. It's a 9 day course.

This is the route that Wiegand refered me to. If you look at the instructors, they ARE some of the top smiths.

while not a gunsmithing course, Jerry Kuhnhausen published two books among others that are well worth the price, named colt 45, volume 1 and 2 they are shop manules, that cover the 45 from stem to stern, from fitting barrels to malfuctions of pistol and magazines, like I said little pricely for books but well worth the infestment if your going to work on your own pistols, brownell's sells good reliable stones, jigs and other gunsmith tools, yes you'll ruin some, unless you're a gunsmith you will.

.02 worth :cheers:

You will not break even or save a little. If it comes out right you will have pride of ownership. If it comes out wrong you will have frustration beyond belief. You would be better to buy something by a quality maker for under $1000.00 and change parts a little at a time to help 'Learn" the 1911. Get some good books on the subject and then maybe try to build one yourself. I just built a 6" caspian hi-cap, $2100.00 for parts and about $200.00 in tools. I have been working on 1911's for many years but this was my first full build. My patience has paid off as it is awsome.

A couple of years ago, I did my own build. Ended up with roughly 1200.00 dollars in a 500.00 gun. It was great learning project although I will never do it again. The best thing though was acquiring all the inner working knowledge of a 1911. The money spent has saved my ass countless times in diagnostic skills and field repairs. I paid for knowledge and it was worth it!! :cheers: