Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NROI Certs

JThompson

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...I am an RM and voted RM/I. Troy is an RM but either he forgot to vote or he picked some other option. ;)

Perhaps "Kilt-wearing RMI" needed to be an option. ;):lol::D

Yeah, I was holding off for that option, but what the heck. :rolleyes:

Actually, I either missed the poll on the first pass, or it wasn't there for some reason. I voted today, though.

I'd recommend the seminars to everyone--even if you don't plan to work a match, or even get your certification, the rules knowledge will be a big help.

Troy

Unfortunately, a NO here.

After around 18 years of steady service as a club officer, RO and CRO, I was moved twice by my company. Somehow, NROI lost track of me and I lost my certification. I had too many things going on at the time , continued to shoot and RO, but let the certification slip without realizing it. (I know, my fault, but it was disheartening to me that I could get no consideration what so ever after serving our sport so long.)

Found I was no longer certified right after two days working the Space City Challenge 2006 as CRO in the rain and ankle deep mud. After numerous calls and a couple unanswered E mails to Sedro Wooley, I politely declined to take the one day RO course to become certified again. (For several reasons, my weekend spare time is limited and quite valuable to me these days)

Now I have almost left USPSA for IDPA. I do SO with IDPA and try to squad with new shooters to give them a fair introduction to action shooting.

My three year USPSA dues expire in November. Do not know if I will renew or not at this point.

I am not one that will shoot a match and walk away without helping out. FWIW, I am working Space City 2008 but not as a CRO.

Newly minted RO.

I just recieved notification from Ray Hirst this past Friday that I passed my written exam from the seminar I attended March 1 & 2 at the East Huntingdon club.

+1 on attending the seminar. Even if you don't have any desire to run shooters it is worthwhile to attend just to learn more about the rules.

RM-I here.

Yes, more range time would be better. I will try to improve that the next time, but as you said it was not ideal conditions for the range time.

Now I have a better feel for the timing in the new class, I will add some more demos for the classroom. :devil:

We as a group are working on some video demos so we could do a RO version of a stop/don't stop of various situations.

I personally think that would make some of the points more directly. A video is worth a million words.

Jay

RM-I here.

Yes, more range time would be better. I will try to improve that the next time, but as you said it was not ideal conditions for the range time.

Now I have a better feel for the timing in the new class, I will add some more demos for the classroom. :devil:

We as a group are working on some video demos so we could do a RO version of a stop/don't stop of various situations.

I personally think that would make some of the points more directly. A video is worth a million words.

Jay

Sounds great Jay... I think the videos would help out a lot in that regard. Some demos in class with a dummy would be great too.

Just make sure you have all your updates done on that laptop before the class starts. :goof:

Sounds great Jay... I think the videos would help out a lot in that regard. Some demos in class with a dummy would be great too.

:goof:

Isn't that what Jay is there for? :devil:

Troy

PS: Sorry, Jay, but when they lob them in like that, ya just gotta take a swing.... :rolleyes:

I'd recommend the seminars to everyone--even if you don't plan to work a match, or even get your certification, the rules knowledge will be a big help.

Troy

Yeah, what McMeanus said.

Newly minted CRO (always learning) and currently on the DL. Alas, bit of a fractured foot...

And if there isn't a seminar close to you then ramrod one and make it happen. It isn't that difficult or time consuming to make it happen. Those RMI guys have to have SOMETHING to do. ;) <ducking>

A little off topic- I am taking the RO class in a few weeks. What do I need to do to keep up the certification?

Once a year USPSA mails you a written exam. You use the book for answers and mail it back to them. Usually takes me a couple hours. I only renewed twice, my CRO class caused a renewed status. The timing was a coincidence.

USPSA rules may not be all that thick as published but they are complex. The more time spent studying these rules the more complex you realize they are.

When I finished my Level I (RO) course I thought I had a really good handle on the rules. When I was doing my Level II (CRO) course I realized I still had a bunch to learn, and oh boy did I learn a bunch more! Then along came my Range Master course and I realized that there were intricacies that I hadn't realized in either prior course. And the learning continues. The new 2008 rules just adds to the "fun".

IMHO, every shooter that wishes to have more than a casual relationship to this sport owes it to themselves and their fellow competitors to take at least the Level I (RO) course. Even if you never handle a timer and run a shooter after the course is over it WILL make you a better competitor. Period.

If you really want to help your local club(s) out then take it a bit further and get that Level II (CRO) course under your belt. Having a better handle on the rules and on stage design will really help you help your club with putting on excellent matches. The Level II (CRO) is not hard; it is challenging, yes, but it isn't hard. If you take the correspondence version and apply yourself you can easily finish it in a month or two (provided your RMI is able to respond fairly quickly...remember, they are volunteers with lives too).

Should everyone go to the CRO level? No. It isn't necessary. But if you have the interest then by all means consider it.

And THE biggest lesson out of all of this? When in doubt, look up the rule in the rule book (and have a rule book with you). And that's all I am saying about that particular lesson. ;)

USPSA rules may not be all that thick as published but they are complex. The more time spent studying these rules the more complex you realize they are.

When I finished my Level I (RO) course I thought I had a really good handle on the rules. When I was doing my Level II (CRO) course I realized I still had a bunch to learn, and oh boy did I learn a bunch more! Then along came my Range Master course and I realized that there were intricacies that I hadn't realized in either prior course. And the learning continues. The new 2008 rules just adds to the "fun".

IMHO, every shooter that wishes to have more than a casual relationship to this sport owes it to themselves and their fellow competitors to take at least the Level I (RO) course. Even if you never handle a timer and run a shooter after the course is over it WILL make you a better competitor. Period.

If you really want to help your local club(s) out then take it a bit further and get that Level II (CRO) course under your belt. Having a better handle on the rules and on stage design will really help you help your club with putting on excellent matches. The Level II (CRO) is not hard; it is challenging, yes, but it isn't hard. If you take the correspondence version and apply yourself you can easily finish it in a month or two (provided your RMI is able to respond fairly quickly...remember, they are volunteers with lives too).

Should everyone go to the CRO level? No. It isn't necessary. But if you have the interest then by all means consider it.

And THE biggest lesson out of all of this? When in doubt, look up the rule in the rule book (and have a rule book with you). And that's all I am saying about that particular lesson. ;)

They had an RO class locally right after I started shooting USPSA... I didn't think I was ready to take the class and should wait until I had shot for some time. Looking back on that it was a mistake, I should have jumped on it right away. If you are waiting until you have more time in before you take the class DON"T. It will help you learn the rules and gain confidence... you know what they rules are so you don't have to guess or be timid.

Also, I could have been working on my CRO instead of having to wait another year to get started on it. I intend to get CRO and then go after RM down the road provided I don't get burned out along the way.

Moderator's Note:

After many requests to re-open this poll the moderating staff determined that we would split the RO safety issue out of to a different thread and re-open this one.

Please do not re-drift this poll topic.

Thanks!

Moderator's Note:

After many requests to re-open this poll the moderating staff determined that we would split the RO safety issue out of to a different thread and re-open this one.

Please do not re-drift this poll topic.

Thanks!

That works for me... I didn't like the direction it was headed, so I asked for it to be closed. I don't mind it being reopened as long as it stays on topic.

I've been certified a couple times as an RO and have been through the classes a couple times as well. My last test got lost in the mail heading to the instructor and I just didn't feel like re-doing it. I'm presently uncertified and not an RO, although Area Director keeps threatening to have that changed.

I voted NONE, but after my the vote I got the e-mail from George Jones telling me that I got a 99 in my RO exam. Guess I'm an RO and I have the two overlays to prove it... :D

I voted NONE, but after my the vote I got the e-mail from George Jones telling me that I got a 99 in my RO exam. Guess I'm an RO and I have the two overlays to prove it... :D

Now you've screwed up my results! :ph34r:

Which number did you miss?