Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" vs. 5"

Rocket35

I thought it was time to stop beating around the bush and really find out how many people find the 6" guns an actual benefit or advantage over the 5" guns. Or is it just a passing fad. I have heard just about everthing from both camps, and witness many sell off the 6" guns to return to 5 inchers. So I thought we could put it to a vote. No need to comment either way, so as to not ruffle any feathers as this is a touchy subject for some. So please keep it objective and don't get your feelings hurt one way or another. :)

Edited by Flexmoney

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to find someone that can actually call a shot that doesn't KNOW the 6" is the way to go after shooting it. The 'trick' if there is one to finding the right 6" gun is to find one that feels good to you and has a sight track that you like. People that can't call a shot will likely see no difference between them and may actually find that a 6" is slower for them to shoot. The key to truly being able to see the difference is being able to see the sight lift and recognize the difference between a 5" and 6".

I have yet to find someone that can actually call a shot that doesn't KNOW the 6" is the way to go after shooting it. The 'trick' if there is one to finding the right 6" gun is to find one that feels good to you and has a sight track that you like. People that can't call a shot will likely see no difference between them and may actually find that a 6" is slower for them to shoot. The key to truly being able to see the difference is being able to see the sight lift and recognize the difference between a 5" and 6".

What has been the deciding factor? Longer sight radius?

Yes, the longer sight radius makes each shot more precise and offers more feedback on where the bullet actually went, increased precision and increased feedback cannot be a bad thing in my mind.

Brian, try some more guns, they can be made to feel any way you want them if you find someone willing to make it. I can move several ounces of static weight and several ounces of reciprocating weight in mine, and just about any combination of weight distribution I desire. For example, I can make it nose heavy or nose light and slide heavy or slide light in combinations. I can make mine weigh 32 to 42 ounces total weight too. There is more than a 'one size fits all' possible. There are some 'fixed' parameters but there is a TON of room within them to make the gun the way YOU want it.

Let me first say that I don't feel "calling the shot" is exactly rocket science. And if the 6" gun's longer sight radius is truely that much more precision, calling the shot would actually be less of a factor with the 6" gun than it would be with a 5" gun. I have seen many people that can shoot a 4" gun as accurately as a 5" gun at the drop of a hat. Point being that you need to call your shot to be accurate at any length barrel. I doubt that the sight radius is the most valuable reasoning behind the advantage of a 6" gun. And if that is the bread and butter difference, then there is little advantage in my opinion. I would like to have the opportunity to really check them out side by side. But let me say that as for now, I think it is snake oil, fad, gimic or passing fancy. But have not had the opportunity to prove otherwise. I did shoot the one Darryl had last year (which is your's now?) and found it to be a bit "snappier" than my Edge. The sights didn't settle back to point of aim as nicely as the Edge, and felt recoil was not significantly lighter either. But that was only in the course of one 20 round magazine. I am sure with at gun custom setup it would be more to my liking- but would it TRUELY be BETTER than a 5"? I am skeptical... :closedeyes:

Edited by Rocket35

Let me first say that I don't feel "calling the shot" is exactly rocket science. And if the 6" gun's longer sight radius is truely that much more precision, calling the shot would actually be less of a factor with the 6" gun than it would be with a 5" gun. I have seen many people that can shoot a 4" gun as accurately as a 5" gun at the drop of a hat. Point being that you need to call your shot to be accurate at any length barrel. I doubt that the sight radius is the most valuable reasoning behind the advantage of a 6" gun. And if that is the bread and butter difference, then there is little advantage in my opinion. I would like to have the opportunity to really check them out side by side. But let me say that as for now, I think it is snake oil, fad, gimic or passing fancy. But have not had the opportunity to prove otherwise. I did shoot the one Darryl had last year (which is your's now?) and found it to be a bit "snappier" than my Edge. The sights didn't settle back to point of aim as nicely as the Edge, and felt recoil was not significantly lighter either. But that was only in the course of one 20 round magazine. I am sure with at gun custom setup it would be more to my liking- but would it TRUELY be BETTER than a 5"? I am skeptical... :closedeyes:

Piece of cake on that argument, if you dont want one or just wont accept what others are saying just dont buy one. Thats one of the great things about this country, choices, everwhere you look, more choices. I'm sure that if you just insisted HSmith would build you a 5in gun, as would Matt or Benny or Venrie or any one of a dozen or so other smiths. Hell if there are 20 good gunsmiths building 5 and 6 in guns thats 40 choices right there. What more could you ask for. You write the check so you make the choice. Mine is not for sale anyway so I guess I really dont have a dog in this fight. But my next one will probaly be another 6 in-------Larry Edited by Larry White

From talking to Robbie, I know he feels he shoots a 6" better than a 5".

And from the little I shot one of his 6" pistols, although I hated to admit it, I shot it better on a plate rack at 15 yards than I did my 5" pistol.

be

I doubt that the sight radius is the most valuable reasoning behind the advantage of a 6" gun. And if that is the bread and butter difference, then there is little advantage in my opinion.

With my 5" Eagle or 5" Edge the front sight is not very distinct, and with a fiber optic I see an offset figure "8". With a 6" gun the front sight appears sharper than on a 5". If my arms were longer it might not make a difference, but at 60 years old my arms probably won't grow anymore. Maybe the next step is a 7" gun or lasik.

For those who have not actually shot both lengths of gun. For those who have shot just a few rounds through both or either type of gun. For those who have not tailored a load, designed and formulated, for the specific attributes of their gun/both guns/any gun.

Thank you for your unqualified and insignificant little opinion. :yawn:

:P:D

Yes, the longer sight radius makes each shot more precise and offers more feedback on where the bullet actually went, increased precision and increased feedback cannot be a bad thing in my mind.

Brian, try some more guns, they can be made to feel any way you want them if you find someone willing to make it. I can move several ounces of static weight and several ounces of reciprocating weight in mine, and just about any combination of weight distribution I desire. For example, I can make it nose heavy or nose light and slide heavy or slide light in combinations. I can make mine weigh 32 to 42 ounces total weight too. There is more than a 'one size fits all' possible. There are some 'fixed' parameters but there is a TON of room within them to make the gun the way YOU want it.

The gun I tried briefly was a Benny fatfree and I am sure I did not give it enough time. Now I am shooting open and have pretty much gotten used to the extra length and different balance. I'm sure it would have been that way with the 6 incher. Hell an extra inch wouldn't hurt anybody, right?

For those who have not actually shot both lengths of gun. For those who have shot just a few rounds through both or either type of gun. For those who have not tailored a load, designed and formulated, for the specific attributes of their gun/both guns/any gun.

Thank you for your unqualified and insignificant little opinion. :yawn:

:P:D

Look at post #2!!!

I KNOW you were NOT addressing me :D

Don't get me wrong- I am not against the abilities of the 6" gun, just skeptible. I am actually looking at which way to go with having a new Limited gun built up. So...looking for convincing I guess more than anything here.... :rolleyes:

Hello: I have shot mostly a 5" pistol but also have tried a couple of 6" pistols. You can do a little test. This is what I did. I shot a Glock 22 for a while then started shooting a Glock 35. They both shoot about the same but the longer sight radius and the right loads makes the differnce. The Glock 35 works so much better/easier. That is why I decided to build a 6" STI. Everything being equal I think the 6" will be an easier animal to tame. If you shoot one of Benny's new Fat Free's you will see an improvemnet. Another test to do is pick up a 5" and a 6" with your eyes closed and see if you can tell the difference. Swing the pistol back and forth with your eyes closed and up and down. I bet the right 6" will feel lighter/faster than a Edge ;-) If you buy a 6" and then decide to sell it you will always find a buyer. I did not vote since I'm fighting a cold right now and drinking Mojitoes to boot. Thanks, Eric

I dont know what the 6in you shot was like, but if it a full wt slide I dont like them either. If you really like the way a edge with a bull barrel and or a tungsten guide rod feels you will proably never like a lite 6 in gun. For a 6in to work it needs to get the wt off the nose and get it down to 34 to 36 oz with the wt back in your hand. Then you have to build a load for it. If you feed it the same old 4.7 or 8 of tite group with a 180 or a slow 200 gr bullet you probaly wont like that either. 178 or 180 pf is sharp, I dont care what you shoot it in. Cut the powder charge about .3 or go to a lighter bullet and its a diffrent deal. Get the balance back in the gun and the slide speed up and they shine. The longer sight radius is better, I dont think anybody can dispute that. Less powder just makes a shorter recoil pluse, That is just about a sure thing. Now for the down side, its a inch longer, whatever that is worth, and thats all of the down side. I'm sure that some folks will never like them, and I'm sure that some folks that spent enough time with one will never shoot anthing else.. As far as them being a fad, well it just took some of you 5 or 6 years to get here.---------Larry

I did handle a 6" recently with a full profile classic slide that was not lightened in any way and it didn't feel nose heavy. I have thought trying out a 6" Eagle as my next option. I have went over my notes on the two STI limited guns in different weights that I have had and shot quite extensively and found that my performace was noticably better with the heavier gun. I think I may try one out and see for myself longterm, just need some concincing as I said before. I sure appreciate all the input here as usual. Great source of information. It would be a wonderful asset just being able to handle the guns simultaneously before puchasing. More thinking and research to do though....... ;)

I do have an opnion on this. ( Remember opnions are like aholes. Everone has one and they all stink ) I was very lucky last year . :D Howard Smith gave me his 1st 6 in he built and said shoot the snot out of it, he wanted to shoot open for awhile. I shoot it better than my 5 in gun. (I shoot mostly limited) I liked the 6 in so much that Howard built me one. I have put thousands and thousands of rounds thru my 5 in. If I could start over again in limited I would get a 6 in gun . I worked up at least 2 dozen diffrent loads for each gun and shot them side by side for months. Every bullet type from 135's to 220's. 7 diffrent powders . Still more to try. 6 in wins every time. Shooting 10 rounds thru a light 6 in and compairing it to a 5 in edge is like compairing apples and oranges. Just my 2 cents worth. :cheers:

Darryl

I did some slide cuts(nothing major) on the front and top of that 6" you handled Jay. Plus now it says"10mm Black Mamba By NJK Custom" on the side. It just came back from nitriding and it is Very matte Black indeed.

I think all that matters is what looks better. The 6" slide looks like it belongs on top of the S-I frame so nods to the 6".

Who cares about anything else???

Nick

All I can say is this... I have been shooting a 6" limited gun with a lightened slide since late 2002. It took a bit of time to get used to it (mine has a bull barrel and so is a bit nose heavy). But with the right weight springs and the correct ammo (like 4.3-4.2 grains of TG with a 185gr precision coated bullet) my performance with it is better than my performance with my short dustcover bull barrel SV (my backup gun).

In my case the speed seems to be about the same but my hits tend to be better (ie it is more tolerant of sight miss-alignment) and I find it easier to call my shots with it. I have tried going back to the 5" gun because I tell myself it must be quicker somehow. For me at at least it isn't and my hits are worse.

YMMV

I'm still getting used to my six. But I will say that it works for me so far. I had it for a couple weeks and really wasn't timed to it yet, and I still came out 8th overall in limited division at the Florida open (3rd master). I'm wondering what will happen when I do become timed to this pistol....time will tell. This will be a fun and interesting little journey this year.