Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just tried slide glide #1

sigfla

All I can say is wow!! I had intended to do 1 of my pistols when I got the stuff and ended up doing them all. The viscosity of #1 is exactly as described. It smoothed out the action of all the pistols I used it on so much so that they all felt like 2k custom jobs.

I recently pruchased a custom BHP which didn't have a very smooth slide action. The gun was tight and it just didn't feel buttery smooth like my 1911's or another custom BHP I had in the safe. Now BHP's aren't known to be as smooth as a 1911 but a custom job comes pretty close. This one just felt sticky. One application of slide glide on the rails and barrel lugs and voila smooth as silk!!!

I also noticed it doesn't seem to take much to smooth out the guns action. Just a light coating is all I used on the rails the lugs and guide rod area got a bit more. I can't wait to hit the range and see how this stuff works with some live rounds. After applying to my IDPA Springer TRP gun it almost seemed to have a pneumatic affect to the slide action. It was hard to describe but I felt I was having a similar reaction to the slide glide as Brian Enos did in his description of its use on the site. I haven't popped off any live rounds yet but just working the slide by hand appeared to promote a cushion affect in the guns action.

I think this stuff is gonna be my new go to lube.

Yep, good stuff. :cheers: I use #1 for my XDs and 1911. I use Lite for my two Open blasters. It stays where you put it, really helps smooth out the slide action and lasts a long time. It's hard to beat that combination.

be aware of what the ambient temps will be when you're shooting. At 40 deg F with the lite stuff, the slide on my open gun cycled super slow.

I like SG too, but I only use it in warmer temps, otherwise I have problems.

SG1 works for my Spartan in cold temps - I think the lowest I've ran it is ~10*F. The gun is tight, but I'm sure the $1500+guns are much tighter with less deviation in the rails. I would think SG1 would work fine on most, if not all, of the out of the box sub $1k 1911's.

If your gun will run with SG at the temperatures you will be shooting at nothing works better. It is fantastic stuff, I can't wait for it to warm up for a couple of reasons but one of which is switching my guns back over to Slide Glide!

I tried it last year and really liked it!

I also put it on all of my guns.

When shooting open, it doesn't splatter my optic like the oils I've used.

Although it's run fine in my limited, production and single stacks, it turned my open gun in to a single shot a couple of weeks ago at 20 degrees.

Hmmm, I should try some of this miracle butter~ :)

Although I doubt you'd have issues with your Spartan, if it's really tight, you might want to wait a few weeks, until it warms up a bit more.

It will make your slide feel like it's got ball bearings in it!

• 4 months later...

I use the Lite for my production and Standard guns...(Tanfoglio)...I used it in my HK USP's....the only lubricant that will stay put on the hammer strut /spring.

I Use it lightly on the barrel were it meets the slide ,..and also around the slide stop/barrel lug points. I also tried a little on my Robinson arms XCR...223. Works great.

I tried some using it on a recent build. Slide was wicked slow, just didn't have enough clearance for the grease to go anywhere. Cleaned it out, applied oil, slide speed normal. Mark me down as a butter hater.

The biggest tricks to learn with Slide Glide is what weight to use and how much to use. I've seen people goop it in there so thickly that they darn near hydro-lock the parts. Like the old commercial said...a little dab will do ya.

Another good thing to know is that if you rack the slide a couple times as part of your "make ready" routine, especially when it is cold, the chance of things freezing up on you goes way, way down.

• 1 year later...
be aware of what the ambient temps will be when you're shooting. At 40 deg F with the lite stuff, the slide on my open gun cycled super slow.

I live in Florida. I have a S&W M&P 9mmL. What type of slide guide would be good for me? Is slide guide a cleaner of lubricant? How does it work? Where do you put it? Could anyone answer these questions and give me more information on slide guide.

For Florida I would use the standard Slide Glide. Apply it to your rails, barrell, basically anything that moves or comes within contact of a moving piece. I also apply it to my recoil spring and rod.

It is a lubricant. It looks like grease. The nice thing is that you apply it and when you feel your gun is dirty you can simply wipe it off and apply some more.

Read about it in the Enos store. I sent you a link on an earlier post.

A little dab helps but I like to apply it fairly liberally and haven't had any problems from it. Maybe that's because I'm in a predominantly warm climate so it could be different elsewhere. I had something stuck in my head about how much BE used of the stuff and I found this from an article written by Duane Thomas.

"Slide-Glide seems to have a real cushioning effect on the recoil stroke. It feels like, at the end of its travel, the slide hits "stringy" Slide-Glide instead of metal-to-metal. Shortly after I first Slide-Glided my gun, an experienced gunman, when handling my 1911 and cycling the slide, said to me, "My God, I've never felt a gun this smooth before." Now we certainly must give much of the credit for that to Wilson Combat which builds some mighty fine handguns, but before being Slide-Glided even the Wilson gun didn't feel this good. Enos says he's gotten the same reaction many times from people who handle his guns, partly because, "I'm not afraid to fill 'er up." He uses a lot more Slide-Glide than most people. With standard lubricants we're sternly warned against using too much lube because it'll leak out, and into places it shouldn't be. Slide-Glide stays in place so you can apply much more lube, and thus get the maximum benefit from its cushioning effect. Enos says, "Sometimes I wish I had an open port drilled into the gun so I could just pump the stuff in.""

For Florida I would use the standard Slide Glide. Apply it to your rails, barrell, basically anything that moves or comes within contact of a moving piece. I also apply it to my recoil spring and rod.

It is a lubricant. It looks like grease. The nice thing is that you apply it and when you feel your gun is dirty you can simply wipe it off and apply some more.

Read about it in the Enos store. I sent you a link on an earlier post.

What type is the standard slide guide. Also what is a good cleaner.

Wow..your asking a loaded question (pardon the pun) Some use soap and water, some like Hoppes, others use spray cleaners. If you perform a search on "cleaning" you can see a whole bunch of opinions.

There is Light, Standard, and Heavy Slide Glide. It all deals with the thickness. For warm weather and a plastic gun I would go with Standard. To add, dont use Standard on a 30 degree day on a tight fitting Brazos HP Edge. ...speaking from experience! ;)