Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter's Shock Absorber

I think thats like the Tennis Elbow band that I worn for quite a while. They do help to hide

the pain by pushing on the tendon changing the tension making you use a different part of

it. It only masks the problem though. Tennis Elbow for me was not from recoil but from sqeezing

and lifting the weight (excessive tension).

Everyone that asked about at matches, I always replied with," this is the new recoil eliminator, it makes

any gun shoot like a 22". First you get this look like ya right then they ask where to buy it !! :lol:

I dont know, the liquid sounds like it might acually do something or it could turn out to be a great

placebo!!

I got one for my elbow. I've only tried it a couple of times and haven't really noticed that much of a difference. When you shake it, you can see how it might help but the weight/shock absorbsion is minimal at best.

After suffering with with carpal issues, thought this might help. Any first hand knowledge and or experience of this product would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1237

Snake oil.

That was my first impression Merlin- but just was wondering if anyone had any first person experience to declare otherwise.

Yes...........I do, and it really works, at least for me.

A year ago I had the worst "tennis elbow", it was so bad I could not go through normal daily activities without a terrible pain on the outside of the elbow. Bought one of these and used it just in practices. Within a month or two 95%+ of the pain had disappeared.

Some may poo poo the idea but, as I personally can attest, it made a world of difference for me. I would absolutely recommend it for anyone with that same elbow pain.

:cheers:

A year ago I had the worst "tennis elbow", it was so bad I could not go through normal daily activities without a terrible pain on the outside of the elbow. Bought one of these and used it just in practices. Within a month or two 95%+ of the pain had disappeared.

Some may poo poo the idea but, as I personally can attest, it made a world of difference for me. I would absolutely recommend it for anyone with that same elbow pain.

Not to discount your testimony here, but the problem is that we have no way of knowing if the wrist band made a difference or if your tennis elbow just got better on it's own around the same time you incorporated the wrist band. I haven't checked, but I would be very suprised if any controlled trials had been done with the device to see if it works for anything. Tennis elbow is known to be self limiting and usually does get better on it's own eventually. Unfortunately it often takes 1-2 years to do so. Also tennis elbow is very different than Rocket35's "carpal" (tunnel?) issues for which I don't think anything increasing compression at the wrist would be a good idea. For what it's worth I generally think everything is snake oil until proven otherwise.

badchad, BS Exercise Science, Masters in Physical Therapy

Not to discount your testimony here, but the problem is that we have no way of knowing if the wrist band made a difference or if your tennis elbow just got better on it's own around the same time you incorporated the wrist band. I haven't checked, but I would be very suprised if any controlled trials had been done with the device to see if it works for anything. Tennis elbow is known to be self limiting and usually does get better on it's own eventually. Unfortunately it often takes 1-2 years to do so. Also tennis elbow is very different than Rocket35's "carpal" (tunnel?) issues for which I don't think anything increasing compression at the wrist would be a good idea. For what it's worth I generally think everything is snake oil until proven otherwise.

badchad, BS Exercise Science, Masters in Physical Therapy

badchad,

Your points are well taken. What I tried to say in my post is it did work for me, pain relieved in less time than without it, and that I would recommend it to anyone who is having a similar problem.

nhglyn, BS and Masters of Science in Physical Education with 35 years teaching and coaching experience

Edited by nhglyn

Chuck. Probably any sanctioned (USPSA, IDPA, SASS, NRA and etc.) pistol, rifle or shotgun match.

I know of nothing in the book (USPSA) that would prevent one from using such a device. I've spent a good deal of time reading it recently too. The only thing which is governed in the respect of recoil is the gun and or devices mounted to it.....

Edited by JThompson

Chuck. Probably any sanctioned (USPSA, IDPA, SASS, NRA and etc.) pistol, rifle or shotgun match.

USPSA: The only stuff they worry about being worn is the holster and mag pouches (varies per division), safety stuff on and camo off.

IDPA: Never saw anything in that rule book either.

SASS: It should probably be horse or cow hide ;)

Never shot an NRA or etc match, so dunno about them.

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

Legal for USPSA and IDPA. I've seen them worn in IDPA sanctioned matches and there's nothing in either rulebook that precludes it.

NRA bullseye does not allow anything that supports the wrist joint (e.g. brace, ace bandage, wide watch band) That's specifically addressed in the rulebook. This does not support the wrist, but I imagine you'd want to get a ruling. On the other hand, it would be fine for practice, and matches require so few shots you could live without it.

I'm checking with USPSA and IDPA HQ for rules clarification. It might be something that has changed over the years or never was (I have been competing for 25+ years). I'll update when I hear.

Anything that claims to do anything medically related without a decent trial (randomized, placebo controlled if possible) should be viewed with a jaundiced eye. The problem with personal testimonials is just what bad chad brought up. I have had people swear to me over the years that magnets, copper bracelets, bee sting therapy, bee pollen, light or laser therapy, various bowel "cleansing" procedures, accupuncture, accupressure, aromatherapy, etc. cured their various ills. When you look, the science isn't there.

The Shooter's Shock Absorber™ absorbes recoil energy at the wrist, before it travels to the sensitive tendons of the elbow and carpal area. It utilizes a proprietary, high-density liquid* encapsulated in a spherical housing that acts as a powerful shock buffer ... thus preventing shooter's elbow and wrist conditions.

Translation............inertia dampener.

This can not work.

Lateral epicondylitis, tennis elbow, is an inflammation of the tendons of the origin hand extensors.. The movement of the hand and wrist during recoil puts a lot of strain on the origin point for those gripping muscles in the elbow. It is just like jerking on a taunt rope that is attached to the wall eventually it will start tearing little fibers..

In short it has nothing to do with the energy transfered through your arm, but the mechanics of your grip and the break in your wrist that cause lateral epicondylitis. Physically adding more weight to your hand might help, as the heavier the hand is the less the recoil will move it - but I would wager a guess that the amount of weight needed to make a difference is pretty significant. Simply loosening up your grip might help more than anything.. The elbow clasp help tennis elbow by limiting how much those extensor muscles can contract, basically making them weaker and relaxing your grip anyway.

I could expound on this for pages and pages dealing with the anatomy and physiology of these conditions in relationship to the biomechanics involved, but it really isn't worth the time because the device is so incredibly stupid. I would bet some cash that impressive oscilloscope graph was done with the sensors places on the skin, and the reduction in the energy transfered was through the superficial skin and only the skin.

Vagus, too many credentials to list..