Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The UPS Store

sono

Short story of my UPS Store antigun exp. I went to the place to send back a scope to a ditributer than had sent me two by mistake. I opened the box in the store to see if there were a return label. I did this because they wouldn't accept a refusal to recieve and if no label I would have to pay. The lady behind the counter saw it was a scope and informed me they couldn't ship it. I asked why it's a scope. Her response was thier parent company Mail Box ect. wouldn't ship guns or anything that attached to a gun. So I asked does this mean simple small pieces like grips, scopes, and stocks your kidding? If it goes to a gun they will not accept it. So I just left smilling and drove to the ups hub to wait for them to open. So many misinformed and bias people.

A question.

UPS or is it the UPS Stores that are owned (indicated in post #1) by Mailboxes?

If it is all of UPS, then I suppose Fed-Ex will serve for the time being. If only the UPS Stores, I don't use them anyway.

Also, is this across the board? or is it only a particular franchise? If a particular franchise, try contacting UPS, they MAY have franchise agreements in place that will not allow discrimination.

Jim

I ship everything UPS with great success. I print my shipping label and pay from home, just drop it off at the local UPS store no questions asked..... But you are right about mis-informed employees, they are told no guns and they hear guns or anything associated with a gun.......

Just my thoughts

Randal

This is UPS Store. I had it happen to me as well. I was informed that I would have to go to the hub to ship a gun. UPS Stores is not UPS they are a carrier of the service. UPS still allows you to ship a gun and related parts. I was told that the UPS Store policy was to prevent stealing of firearms.

I will continue to use UPS but I will never again go to a UPS Store.

i go to the fedex hub to ship a gun. "can't do it without the recipient's ffl number" i am told. this is about 3 weeks after i had shipped a gun through them without the number. fortunately the ups hub is just down the street. "no problem, just give us your money". i guess it is just luck of the draw who is working the counter that day.

Edited by dr2e

I am a FFL holder and I stopped using UPS when their hub told me they wouldn't accept a package from me (a gun) that I was shipping back to the owner after working on it, even though they had shipped it to me!! They told me it had to go to another FFL holder.

I spent about 2 days exhanging e-mail with their "customer service" and was told that it was a misunderstanding and that they had it all worked out with the hub. I asked them to have someone from the hub to call me so I wouldn't make another trip down to them and not get the package shipped. I got the call a day after they committed that I would hear from someone and I got the same old "...only to a FFL holder".

That's the same day I signed up with FedEx and haven't looked back!

I don't understand all the heartburn about UPS stores, they are a franchise (license) holder for UPS. They have audits by UPS to make sure the paper work is completed properly, i.e. UPS is getting every penny of the freight cost. I have been dealing with a UPS Store since I first arrived in Montana back when it was a Mailboxes ETC franchise, I understand their limitations and don't hold it against them. I no longer ship guns through UPS since they have admitted that the union will not let them fire people for theft. But the UPS Store has never complained when they have had a gun returned to me by FedEx or when the USPS has delivered 100's of pounds of bullets. I used to have UPS & USPS leave stuff at my side door that wouldn't fit in a jumbo size mailbox. I don't mind paying for service.

edited for upset fingers.

Edited by LPatterson

This was at a UPS store owned by Mail Boxes Ect. If they don't know what you ship you maybe ok. The lady was very sure that nothing that attaches to a gun can be shipped from a ups store. The other employee working agreed and never waivered. So it seems to be a Mail Box ect. thing. However, if they are going to be a "UPS Store" they should ship what "UPS" ships and have the same policies. Shouldn't they?

Can' be a Mailboxes Etc. policy - I've shipped scopes (rifle and spotting), stocks, mags, barrelled actions, and all manner of other things that "attach to a gun" via our local UPS Store/MBEtc here locally.

In point of fact, the last shipment was an AR upper for re-barreling and the fellow at the counter made up a custom box for it..

May be up to the individual franchisee..?

Edited by n2ipsc

I also had the same problem with the UPS store. One time I was sending a scope and they also asked if it was a gun scope and I told them it was a telescope for looking at stars and they said they could ship it. It depends on the store and who is running the counter at the time you ship something. I have started to use FedEx also.

Time to boycott UPS. Brown ain't doing s**t for me from now on.

Keep in mind these are franchises, and while they universally can't do things like ship firearms for you according to parent rules, the rest is likely the local franchisee or idiot behind the counter.

My last MBE guy wanted to know where I was ordering from and what kind of prices I was getting on .357 and .38, but then again I have a box there, so they might be less picky about a standing customer.

If you want to exercise your inner petulant child, ship some screws. Then tell them those were GUN screws, and you are going to complain to the manager/parent company.