Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please share your Vhita Vouri recipe for .45ACP

dagz

Montana Gold 230 gr. HP, OAL 1.200, 4.5 gr of V340, 745 f.p.s. You have to seat the MGs short. They are full diameter out further than most round nose bullets and will get caught up in the rifling and not allow the round to seat fully in the chamber. The slower powder is supposed to lessen recoil.

Zero - 200 gr LSWC

VN320 - 5.0 gr

WLP Primers

Ditto. I tried this out because it was recommended for my gun by Wilson. If VV was more readily available around here, I'd load nothing else. Cleanest lead load I've used.

• 2 weeks later...

All loads are using Zero 230gr JHP loaded to COL=1.215" with a 0.469" crimp, Winchester primer, and fired from 5" 1911:

6.2gr N340 858fps

3.8gr N310 740fps

5.3gr N320 848fps

Edited by alzo

230 gr Hornady/4.7 n320/167pf /5 in. Bar-sto bbl

That mix with 230gr Rainiers yields 168pf in my Kimber, but with the spread I kept dropping a few below 165pf and decided to go with 4.8gr to provide a little cushion.

What is the extreme spread you see with that load?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

VV N320 5.2 grains

OAL 1.235

Primer WLP

Crimp 1.235

Using just about any 230 RN (Berry, Zero, and Rainer)

Velocity 767 fps

5 inch barrels Schuemann, Kart, STI pretty all have same velocity

The only issue with case fill of 5.2 grains can get a large shot to shot variation.

If you tip the muzzle verictal, while chrono, variation will go away--this can create a problem at

large matches. This caused a headache at one match where one of the three at

a chrono went thru at 700 fps.

Edited by schroed

Why the short OAL of 1.235?

The WWB ammo I have been using was 1.266 and the SDB was also set at that...so I left it where it was. They drop into my barrel with no probs.

I decided on this, my first batch to go 4.9 gr of 320 with 230 RN FMJ

Is my length an issue?

Edited by hk_mtbr

Why the short OAL of 1.235?

The WWB ammo I have been using was 1.266 and the SDB was also set at that...so I left it where it was. They drop into my barrel with no probs.

I decided on this, my first batch to go 4.9 gr of 320 with 230 RN FMJ

Is my length an issue?

Use to run 1.255 in my all my guns untill I got double stack 45acp for L10, had slight feeding issues found if I went

shorter problem went away. Tested it my single stacks had no issues with the shorter length, so same load for all guns.

What is your issue?

Edited by schroed

no issue - just building my first loads ever. I was just curious as I'm new to reloading. Being new I want to be sure of everything and it just sounded like a big difference from mine...I don't know what constitutes a big difference yet.

Like I mentioned, I'm just looking for a good load for my 1911 for SS.

I don't have a chrono but may take my first 100 to the local indoor range to see how they feel. My hope is to use my free time this week to crank out some ammo for the first few months of 09

I started with 45acp as my first reloading cartridge, lots of proven load recipes.

First used N340 because it made a double charge harder, but moved on to a faster

powder. Start with small batches and watch for the usual signs.

no issue - just building my first loads ever. I was just curious as I'm new to reloading. Being new I want to be sure of everything and it just sounded like a big difference from mine...I don't know what constitutes a big difference yet.

I don't have a chrono but may take my first 100 to the local indoor range to see how they feel. My hope is to use my free time this week to crank out some ammo for the first few months of 09

Bullet design makes a difference in OAL, a load that was fine in a Schuemann barrel hit the rifling in a Para and Springfield. Suggest taking the barrel out of your gun and using it to see if the drop in to the barrel hood and the fall out.

Bullet design makes a difference in OAL, a load that was fine in a Schuemann barrel hit the rifling in a Para and Springfield. Suggest taking the barrel out of your gun and using it to see if the drop in to the barrel hood and the fall out.

Thanks LP! I did just that and all is well...in and out easy as you please.