Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Glock 35 went kaboom.

badchad

My Glock 35 limited gun blew up in the middle of a match. I was shooting 180 grain Montana Golds and 4.5 grains of Tightgroup at a power factor of 166.

It blew the top of the chamber and ~ ½ inch of the barrel clean off, cracked slide, cracked the frame and blew my Vanick trigger to pieces. (I’ve got pictures and my girlfriend caught it on video, but I need to get that back from my friend to see how well it turned out.)

I load on a Dillon 650 so getting a double charge seems hard to do, but I suppose it’s possible, and looking at the damage it might be probable.

A couple guys said this is somewhat common with the Glock .40s especially. Also I have NP3 on the slide and heard because of that, no way Glock will warrantee it, same goes for shooting reloads. Another guy said an aftermarket barrel with more support would help prevent this from happening.

Sooo.

I need a new gun; any advise for getting Glock to work with me on this or am I pretty much screwed?

If I get another Glock 35 should I get an aftermarket barrel?

I’m kind of partial to the Glock grip angle and controls but if Glock .40s are prone to this, do I even want another one, or should I start looking for an STI? Or would all guns be irreparable if they fired a double charge, assuming that’s what happened?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the shot "loud?" I know that sounds funny but you hear of the detonation rather than a clean powder burn causing such things to happen. Just wondering how it sounded when it happened.

It was a lot louder than the other shots. An extra big bang, then I looked down and noticed the top of my chamber was gone.

Sorry to hear about it- sounds like you are ok. Good luck- but I think your screwed as far as Glock helping you out... you were pretty far off the reservation with handloads and the refinish...not to mention the trigger and other replacement parts.

I wouldn't automatically say Glock shouldn't help him just because he got a refinish and shoots reloads. However, with all of the evidence pointing to a double-charge, I'd say you're probably on your own.

You weren't in the habit of shooting lead bullets through your stock barrel were you?

Glock probably would be justified in not helping in these cases... but they do. They're good people....

Unfortunately, it does sound like either a double, or a case of severe setback (which basically causes a similar issue...). TG isn't hyper sensitive that way, like Clays would be, but we're still talking about short OAL .40, and those can be tricky in that regard. Double check everything on your press to be sure that you're not getting setback, powder charges are correct, etc. If all that is cool, then examine your reloading technique and make sure that whenever something strange happens on the press, you're real sure about what you do to handle the situation so that you avoid accidentally short stroking the press and dropping a double charge... ;)

badchad: Glad to hear that you're OK. I bet you`re glad now the wife does the washing.(I would be)

INHO The shot must have sounded louder than the others, the chamber did burst open after all, so the sound came from there and was not directed forwards from the muzzle. Why is it that so many Glocks blow up and not the Paras, CZ`s and Tanfoglios? Can it be that more Glock owners are reckless(or stupid) in the reloading room and with their ammo than owners of other makes? Surely not! Owners of Glocks does not belong to a specific type of personality, they are shooters like all of us.

Do I think that there might be a problem with Glocks, specifically in 40 S&W? Well several Glocks, certainly more that all others combined has gone KABOOM. Do I have numbers: no of course not. It just seem that a lot of 40 Glocks said howsit in the past couple of months. I, personally believe that the safety margins with Glocks might be a bit tighter(especially in 40) than with most other 40`s. Remember that Glock had their 40 on the market before Smith got theirs out. The cartridge is called 40S&W after all. A lot of people carry Glocks without the slightest problem. Glocks are good guns generally BUT we need to be concerned about the Glock 40`s. Guns are not made to go KABOOM. Up to now we have been testing the built in airbags in the Glock 40`s and they worked well. No-one has bled to much- yet.

Frankly speaking I would get something else with a similar grip angle since you like the angle but not a Glock. There are many good guns out there, I have never had a problem with with a second hander, just check it out carefully.

The last thing we need is to give the "Anti`s" more ammo to use against us. Ammo= "Shooters are more prone to injury because their guns blow up with distressing frequency". Next they will have special taxes to cover "injuries"

I must stress that this is my private opinion and that generally I hold Glocks in very high regard.

Edited by Johann the Horrible

That sounds like a double charge. Titegroup is a fast powder and any other gun probably would have blown to smithereens too. An aftermarket barrel wouldn't have made a difference. Glock is a fine platform, so keep shooting it if you like it. I'd absolutely contact Glock and see what they're willing to do. Can't hurt.

FWIW, I use aftermarket barrels in my .40 Glocks. The reason is better case support, because I use brass that I have no idea how many times it has been reloaded. You can only guarantee "once fired" if you yourself did the initial firing. I just inspect cases for any obvious defects and pitch the brands that others have reported problems with like AMERC and PMC. I like KKM barrels myself. They have great support and feed well. The barrel only serves to help prevent blowing out a weak case - very different from the Kaboom you experienced. Blowing out the case head will cause the mag to fly out, but the gun is usually OK. Double charge and...well, you know what happens.

I also use a slower powder than most others. I like either Universal Clays or Power Pistol. I like a powder I can see in the case and with Power Pistol a double charge will overflow the case if I recall. It's not as soft as Titegroup, but it's not bad to me. I like the little bit of extra safety margin against setback with the slower powder. Use of the Lee undersize sizing die and factory crimp die is highly recommended to help prevent setback.

If you blew the chamber up and did that much damage it would have happened with a fully supported barrel in an S_I too. Guys get all wound up when I say things like that but it is true. Enough pressure to blow the gun up is enough pressure to blow the gun up.

Yours is the 4th, 5th, 6th, something like that, that I have seen or can truly believe has blown up with TiteGroup in the last year and it hasn't all been Glock 40's. I am not leaning to a double charge, I am leaning toward setback of the bullet. It doesn't take anywhere near as much setback as you might think it would.

I would strongly recommend you use known brass and a U-die reloading for 40 with fast powders.

The Glock is the perfect platform to do controlled testing with. Seat the bullets deeper in .005" increments and watch the cases. Your normal match load will show pressure quickly with TG doing this, and you will see what I mean. The Glock will start to bulge the belly of the brass giving you clear feedback before it gets to a point that it really dangerous.

Power Pistol is the most tolerant powder I have ever tested in regards to setback.

Was that all the commotion at the middle bay with 2 stages at Palm Springs Steel Challenge on Sunday? I have seen more Glocks blow up, break, quit, etc... That particular bay must be the 'Glock Triangle' I had a case rupture on a G34 several years ago, didn't blow it up, just blew out the mag and mag catch which cut my finger. I witnessed a G21 duty gun blow up there. I cracked 2 G17 slides at the ejection port on that same bay. I can't remember all the other Glock malfunctions that occur there over the years. The club should find a new location.

Ok, the 40 Glocks don't have an edge on KB's, but what they do have is the highest chamber pressure of the popular Glock calibers (not withstanding 357Sig). So using high density fast burning powders, TiteGroup, Clays, cases of unknown origin, how many times cycled, how they were last loaded, heavier bullets, set back is critical, and lead bullets, increases the odds of blowing up. And it's pretty impossible to double charge a progressive, but not a 550. I think Dennis has blown up 2 G35's at Palm Springs. Anyway, use a low density slow burning powder, 165gr FMJ bullets, and new cases, or at least once fired police range brass, such as brassmanbrass.com. Load to maximum length, and pick up only your cases, then pitch them out after 4 to 5 loads.

Wow bad weekend for glocks. I was R.O'ing a new shooter saturday when his gun made a loud boom and he stopped and was staring at his hands. I got him to hand me his gun, since he looked like (and later said) that he really wanted to drop it, his hands hurt so bad. The case head ruptured, blowing out the extractor, and stressing the case. His gun was also a duty weapon, so he was told it ought to go back to Glock for their review, and it was most likely that he would have to get a replacement. Like most shooters, someone offered to let him finish the last stages of the match with their gun. Heres where I screwed up: as RO, I should have ruled his ammo unsafe and ordered it removed from the match.

First, I got the thought in my mind that I didn't want to insult the new shooter. Second, I kinda thought the gun loaner was gonna say 'Dont use any more of your ammo.' Six rounds later the loaner gun blew up with similar results, and this time the chamber was cracked too. I really regret not saying something, it would have been really easy to just say 'the rule book says your ammo is unsafe' if I'd have just thought about it. The shooter did say it was used brass he bought from an unknown source, his loaded rounds did not appear bulged. We believe it was double charging. Only reason you see more kbooms in a Glock, is there are more of them out there. Thankfully, the shooter was not hurt. (Except in the wallet)

Come to think of it, Steel Challenge doesn’t have a power floor? All you need is to ‘dink’ the plates. Try some 135gr bullets on top of Vihtavuori N340 7.5 grs at 1.140” plus overall (as long as possible to get thru the mag and chamber ok). Fast bullet and low chamber pressure.

Interesting article on chamber pressures.. http://www.greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

At least you can blow up 5 Glocks to 1 STI/SVI.

That is way worse than a case head separation. I'm glad your alright and got it on video. Complete failure, which points directly to an overpressure round. I've experienced a case head separation on a glock and an ak-47, but never total failure like you've just had. In a case of an LEO kB, it's usually due to bullet set-back. But there are to many variable to say anything for sure...

I've seen two STI Eagles in .45 crack their chambers and lock up. One was firing Win. 230gr ammo and the other was using reloads. I doubt either was double charged. This happened almost 10 years ago. One of the guns was sent back to STI and had a .40 top end put on it...I've been shooting that gun for the last 8 years. I cracked a factory Para .40 barrel back in 1998 (old power factor). I had 60,000 rds or so through it but I was shooting lead and following it with jacketed to clean the lead out. That spiked the pressure and split the chamber along the lower lugs. Funny thing is, I didn't notice it and shot 100 more rounds. I guess you just can't kill a Para!

I unfortunately, was the guy holding the G22 that Nik had seen blow up! 8.8 of Tite Group will do it. (The first mistake reloading in 30 years.) Bought a new 1050 from BE and was unfamiliar with clearing a jammed press. Glad it was my Glock for several reasons.

1. The polymer frame expanded and helped absorb the shockwave.

2. It wasn't a custom $3000.00 gun!

3. No one got hurt. (Other than the razzing from my "friends")

Glock was great. They sold me one for $350. Just tell them the truth... I *&^%#$ up! (Cus' they already know)

Bill

Edited by Bill Rosenthal

I unfortunately, was the guy holding the G22 that Nik had seen blow up! 8.8 of Tite Group will do it. (The first mistake reloading in 30 years.) Bought a new 1050 from BE and was unfamiliar with clearing a jammed press. Glad it was my Glock for several reasons.

1. The polymer frame expanded and helped absorb the shockwave.

2. It wasn't a custom $3000.00 gun!

3. No one got hurt. (Other than the razzing from my "friends")

Glock was great. They sold me one for $350. Just tell them the truth... I *&^%#$ up! (Cus' they already know)

Bill

:cheers: awesome post. Thanks.

Jim M