Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x20 MR/T M2 Illuminated SPR

norbs007

Dan Nickle from the LDF club runs one on his CTR-02 with good effect. I shot the rfle once or twice and the scope was great for long range but adjusting it back and forth for CQB vs. LR was beyond my meager skills. The 1.5x was tough for me on the short stuff as well.

I tried the scope also but ended up with the IOR Valdada 1.1-4 with the CQB reticle. I think it is brighter and you can use it on the up close targets also. You can get the specs from the Cactus Tactical web site. I bought mine from them good price great customer service. There are some companies still selling the old model ( I think they have a blue ring on them but don,t hold me to that) so make sure what you are buying if you decide to go that route.

I want to be shooting one.

I now shoot a mark 2 and it serves me very well.

But I like the radical in the mark 4 better. It will lend itself to longer range holds.

That is keeping with my shooting style.

Jim M ammo

To solve the problem with the magnification adjustment go to Daniel Horners website http://www.3ttactics.com and order the scope zoom lever. This makes changing the magnification real easy!!

I am currently using one on my Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 and plan on ordering another one for the Mark-IV that is en-route to me from Leupold!!!

Not that I am anybody......but I use one. ;)

I have in mounted in a LaRue SPR-E on my JP upper with 18" ultralight barrel.

Sweet set up. It rides mounted to the trunk-lid of my patrol car 99% of the time, and plays at matches the other 1%.

I've been using the 1" version for 4 years now. Same FOV and specs as the illuminated model but without illumination. Good scope. Zeroed at 200 yards it's relatively easy to get hits out to 500 using the moa marks. The only drawback is up close. FOV at 100 yards is 66 feet and under 15 yards, that makes target acquisition somewhat difficult and it slows you down. Otherwise, I like it.

If you have a chance to look at a Meopta K-dot ,try that as well and ask iff you can watch them both outside the gunstore and in the daylight and take another look.

The red in the Meopta stays red ,in the Leupold it will fade away.......

On the other hand ,the Leupold looks are better :cheers: the Meopta is rather long in size

Edited by patrickbeijer

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Leupold 1.5-5 MK4 on my Open guns and they are not even close to being bright enough for daylight. Maybe if they switched to green???? I asked the leupold reps the past few years and they say it is not bright because they wouldn't want the shooter to be looking at something in broad daylight with the reticle at full iLL and then be looking at something in the shadows(like an aircraft hanger) and have the reticle go blurry or some crap. Never mind the reostat on the side! Maybe the battery won't last as long if you have a brighter dot? A small price to pay for better performance.

Why can't manufacturers get it through their heads? WHO do they have advising them about their products. I hope it isn't law enforcement! I know there are some very good LE guys out there but they are the minority. 99.9% of LE people in my area will never even show up to watch a Uspsa pistol or 3-gun match. The .1% that do come out and shoot will never come back because they fell embarassed. At the station they were probably known as Rambo but when they came to the USPSA match and got their asses handed to them by civies it was more than they could bear. I like LE people but I don't like the way they think sometimes. I only know of 3 current LE people in the whole state of WI that shoot USPSA type stuff on a regular basis. I'd like for that to change but it's very hard to get them to even show up.

Leupold is run by the hunting side of the business and the Tactical side has little say as to what goes on(I'm told). If leupold really cared what it's tactical and sporting shooters/customers thought, they'd be offering some really cool stuff.

For tactical division shooters the Meopta if BY FAR the best scope for the money. It's too bad they did not come out with any new offerings this year. I'd love to see a 1-6 ILL. We had a chance to look at every single scope in the 1-4/1.5-6/etc range at the SHOT SHOW to compare them for 3-gunnin purposes. The very best I saw was the Swarovski V6 1-6 ILL and 1.7-10(I think) ILL. Those two scopes were KICK ASS clear and they had an Orange dot reticle bright enough for daytime use. IF you've got the money, they are the way to go. But at $2000+ not too many people are gonna have them. We talked to a Swaroski rep and he was very interested in how 3-gun works.

U.S. Optics makes a 1-4 and 1.8-10 or something for about $1100-1400 ish depending on what options you want.

Horus vison makes a nice 1.something-6 or 8( I can't remember) that was very clear and could be bright enough for daytime. Price was not bad at just under $900.

Meopta 1-4 K-Dots are about $750 on the websites. It was a pretty close tie comparing the Swarovski to the Meopta on 1 power. I would have to give it to Meopta though for the best true 1 power sight picture. I didn't have a lot of time to look at the US Optics 1-4 but I don't remember it being as nice. A TRUE one power is VERY important!

It was amazing to see the large number of chinese scopes at the show.

I remember a couple of boths(counter sniper was one) that had similar looking scopes to some other booths but were claiming their scopes were made in the USA. Unless NY and FL have cities called P.R.C., I think they are full of it. They were the same as the Konus chinese scopes. You look through them and holding the scope steady and moving your eye around the exit pupil, the crosshairs and sight picture would move all over the place. What JUNK! You do the same test with a good scope and nothing moves but you.

I am sticking with Leupold since I shoot Open and they have been very good to me. They also work rotated 90 degrees CCW to get a better sight picture on the red dot with the positioning of the battery compartment where it is.

IF you want the 1.5-5 get the 1" version unless you need the lit reticle for low light. You'll save some money. Performance is the same if not better.

Nick

To solve the problem with the magnification adjustment go to Daniel Horners website http://www.3ttactics.com and order the scope zoom lever. This makes changing the magnification real easy!!

bizarre web page-doesn't render, but looking at the source, there must be a thousand lines of code-doing nothing.

Norbs, I used a Leupold 1.5-5 until mid '07. I was VERY happy with it. The only down sides are the 1.5x instead of a true 1 power, but once you are used to that extra half power that is really not that noticeable, and the Illum. is not bright enough. As far as a scope goes I would consider the Leupold 95% of "pick a $2K dollar scope" at 25% the price. The only two things a Leupold lacking is the true 1 power and the flash dot of say a Schmidt Bender... Is it worth the extra $1500??? I think it's kinda like NASCAR how fast do you wanna go$$$$

SIDE NOTE: The power selector levers are currently sold out.

Thanks,

Daniel

Why can't manufacturers get it through their heads? WHO do they have advising them about their products. I hope it isn't law enforcement! I know there are some very good LE guys out there but they are the minority. 99.9% of LE people in my area will never even show up to watch a Uspsa pistol or 3-gun match. The .1% that do come out and shoot will never come back because they fell embarassed. At the station they were probably known as Rambo but when they came to the USPSA match and got their asses handed to them by civies it was more than they could bear. I like LE people but I don't like the way they think sometimes. I only know of 3 current LE people in the whole state of WI that shoot USPSA type stuff on a regular basis. I'd like for that to change but it's very hard to get them to even show up.

Nick

Easy on the LE bashing !!!!! :angry2:

Some of us take that personal. This thread is about a scope (which I do own and use for both police duty & 3Gun!). Although I do agree with a couple of the points you brought up, most of your post would better fit in the I HATE forum.

I second the easy on the LE Bashing thing!!!

I dont want to drift on this thread but that was some kind of rant about LEO's shooting this sport.

In case I didnt already say it, "I LOVE MY LEUPOLD VX-III 1.5-5" :D

Edited by NovaShooter

Don't be Hatin :cheers: You guys need to read it closer. I Wasn't trying to bash anyone who shoots our sport. Just the ones that think WE are a bunch of dangerous weirdos and don't care about THEIR shooting skills as ot pertains to their job requirements. I did say "I like LE people just not the way they think sometimes". Any of my negativity is directed completely at LE personnel that want nothing to do with shooting sports and think the Clinton days were the best ever with more to come. I was hoping those type of people were not directing Leupold in what is best to offer in their line of tactical scopes. I did notice that Tony Holmes and 3 other shooters are in the back of the latest Leupold tactical catalog so maybe they are coming around. Leupold has been supporting 3-gun as long as I've been shooting it(4 years).

We've got a really dedicated local shooter who's been in LE and Uspsa for many years until recently. He was always trying to get his fellow officers involved in our weekly practice nights. He said it was like pulling teeth. Only 4 or 5 ever showed up that I can remember. They would shoot once maybe twice if we were lucky and never be seen again. Wisconsin is a Crappy state IMHO. Most of the LE people I've known through friends have a real Elitist attitude. I'm sure that's not the case for the rest of the country though. Every LEO that I've shot with at the big matches and the ones that do shoot here are very good all around.

If you guys LIKE your "brothers" who don't like US and are "gun control" advocates then I guess I am bashing your friends. Get them to come back from the dark side and I guess I won't be bashing them any more.

The 1" tube model has a slightly larger FOV if I remember the chart correctly.

Nick

Don't be Hatin :cheers: You guys need to read it closer. I Wasn't trying to bash anyone who shoots our sport. Just the ones that think WE are a bunch of dangerous weirdos and don't care about THEIR shooting skills as ot pertains to their job requirements. I did say "I like LE people just not the way they think sometimes". Any of my negativity is directed completely at LE personnel that want nothing to do with shooting sports and think the Clinton days were the best ever with more to come. I was hoping those type of people were not directing Leupold in what is best to offer in their line of tactical scopes. I did notice that Tony Holmes and 3 other shooters are in the back of the latest Leupold tactical catalog so maybe they are coming around. Leupold has been supporting 3-gun as long as I've been shooting it(4 years).

We've got a really dedicated local shooter who's been in LE and Uspsa for many years until recently. He was always trying to get his fellow officers involved in our weekly practice nights. He said it was like pulling teeth. Only 4 or 5 ever showed up that I can remember. They would shoot once maybe twice if we were lucky and never be seen again. Wisconsin is a Crappy state IMHO. Most of the LE people I've known through friends have a real Elitist attitude. I'm sure that's not the case for the rest of the country though. Every LEO that I've shot with at the big matches and the ones that do shoot here are very good all around.

If you guys LIKE your "brothers" who don't like US and are "gun control" advocates then I guess I am bashing your friends. Get them to come back from the dark side and I guess I won't be bashing them any more.

The 1" tube model has a slightly larger FOV if I remember the chart correctly.

Nick

Just because a cop doesn't shoot in competition doesn't make him anti-gun. Having retired from a career in LE I can say that the vast majority of the officers I know are VERY pro-gun. So stop the cop bashing already!

I can also tell you one main reason (besides lack of interest, which is ok since we can't all like the same things) why cops don't shoot in competition - scheduling. I shot matches for about 10 years before my career turned to law enforcement. My schedule didn't allow for me to plan many matches, and it became too much of a hassle (between job and family) to get time off to compete, so I pretty much quit competition until I was near retirement. Now I'm back into shooting in a big way. I LOVE retirement!

I know there was a topic about this particular scope before it came out, but anybody using one for 3-gun? Pros and cons please. Thanks in advance.

I use a similar scope, I use the Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x Illuminated with the German No.4 reticle.

e88fa3dd.jpg

bizarre web page-doesn't render, but looking at the source, there must be a thousand lines of code-doing nothing.

The Triple Threat Tactics web site works for me if I use Internet Explorer but if I use Firefox I can't see much. I just ordered the Cat-Tail for my Leupold. I saw it at SHOT on Dave Neths rifle a the Leupold booth.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Norbs, I used a Leupold 1.5-5 until mid '07. I was VERY happy with it. The only down sides are the 1.5x instead of a true 1 power, but once you are used to that extra half power that is really not that noticeable, and the Illum. is not bright enough. As far as a scope goes I would consider the Leupold 95% of "pick a $2K dollar scope" at 25% the price. The only two things a Leupold lacking is the true 1 power and the flash dot of say a Schmidt Bender... Is it worth the extra $1500??? I think it's kinda like NASCAR how fast do you wanna go$$$$

SIDE NOTE: The power selector levers are currently sold out.

Thanks,

Daniel

What scope are you using now?