Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What exactly is a Bill Drill?

Jay6

A Bill Drill

Utilize a single IDPA or IPSC target placed 7 yards downrange from your firing position, Start from the surrender position (both hands above shoulder level, palms facing forward), draw, and fire 6 shots into the A zone. If any shots miss the A zone, the time does not count, so the emphasis is on accuracy before speed.

Most shooters consider under 3 seconds a good goal with a self defense handgun and a carry holster, and 2 seconds with a race gun and competition holster.

Enjoy.

Bruce

The Bill Drill was invented by Bill Wilson hence the name.

The objective is to learn what you need to see to call your shots at high speed. Its not to empty the gun as fast as you can pull the trigger. A lot of people get to where they can shoot Master splits on a Bill Drill but with lower class hits. Oh and your cold time is more telling than the "squirrel gets an acorn 1.XX" low time record that you get after running BDrills all day. Those fastest run numbers are good data just try to get them the same as your cold. With the correct mindset BD's can make breakthoughs in development. That said sometimes shooting into the bank as fast as you can, gets a person over the hurdles

Sometimes you need to "slide around a turn" to learn to drive a racecar at it limit.

Recently had a discussion with another SGM in the Army concerning the Bill Drill and he was of the opinion that it was Bill Rogers rather than Bill Wilson. I like BSeevers always associated the development of the Bill drill with Wilson's name. Does anyone know for sure?

I find that as a novice it is helpfull for me to elliminate the draw from this drill. Right now I am doing this modified version of the drill using a 1/3 scale IPSC target at 7yards without a timer. I am focus on seeing the sights move and breaking the next shot as soon as the sights settle back in the A-Zone. I will probably start timing myself in a couple of weeks. I am also doing a draw and shoot one drill - also without a timer at this time. My goal is to eventually combine these two into a full Bill Drill.

Slav

Recently had a discussion with another SGM in the Army concerning the Bill Drill and he was of the opinion that it was Bill Rogers rather than Bill Wilson. I like BSeevers always associated the development of the Bill drill with Wilson's name. Does anyone know for sure?

Well, did you come to the right place for an answer to that! Brian and Robbie were actually the guys who coined the term "Bill Drill". The story, according to Brian, goes that one day he and Robbie were out at the range and they saw Bill Wilson, standing in front of a target at seven yards, drawing, firing six, holstering, drawing, firing six, over and over again. So they wandered to find out what the hell he was doing. Bill informed them he'd come up with this drill to work on both speed from the holster and accuracy. Robbie and Brian thought was just the coolest idea ever they'd ever heard, instantly dubbed it the "Bill Drill" and the rest is history.

Well, did you come to the right place for an answer to that! Brian and Robbie were actually the guys who coined the term "Bill Drill". The story, according to Brian, goes that one day he and Robbie were out at the range and they saw Bill Wilson, standing in front of a target at seven yards, drawing, firing six, holstering, drawing, firing six, over and over again. So they wandered to find out what the hell he was doing. Bill informed them he'd come up with this drill to work on both speed from the holster and accuracy. Robbie and Brian thought was just the coolest idea ever they'd ever heard, instantly dubbed it the "Bill Drill" and the rest is history.

That's what I said. ;)

Bill Jordan was not a IPSC shooter. I could see Bill Rogers being considered, but it was Bill Wilson