Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed Sec 5

mwx40x40

This holster is a little to fast for my taste. It is nice that all of my revos fit in it but when it is unlocked it is ready to go. I prefer the CR Speed.

Tom

Are we talking slightes bump/move, hot gun falling out and getting DQ'd ready to go?

When the holster is LOCKED, the gun is not going anywhere, as soon as you unlock it though, it does not take much to get it out of the holster. If you had a stage where you started sitting, I would not start with it unlocked. With there being no muzzle plug, it is to easy to bump the muzzle and have the gun come out.

just my $.02

Tom

I agree with all above who like the Speed Sec. I will be starting my second year with mine. I also echo their sentiments regarding the retention of the gun. During dryfire practice (shortly after I got the holster) I botched a draw, and ended up with my revolver on the garage floor. This was totally my fault, but still...During a match, I find myself constantly reaching down to verify that it is locked, apparently I don't trust myself.

Other than that, it's a good, and very fast, holster.

DM

I use a Speed Sec Holster and agree with what Tom & Mike said. When it's locked, it's locked. But it's anybody's game when the lock is off.

I always draw with the lock ON. It's no big deal to swipe it off on the draw.

I have dropped a gun at a match, TWICE, once while it was loaded (third stage of an Area match, no less). The time I dropped it while it was loaded was because I was dumb enough to try to start with the lock off. The second time the gun was empty and the lock got unlocked somehow.

This holster is a little to fast for my taste. It is nice that all of my revos fit in it but when it is unlocked it is ready to go. I prefer the CR Speed.

Tom

+1 What Tom said.

I have both and prefer the CR.

41mag

• 2 weeks later...
That looks just like the Garcia Extreme holster I used for a few years for wheelgun. I've since gone to kydex.

If you are interested, I can make you a good deal on a used one.

Dave

Is that it in the picture you posted? Will it fit a S&W Model 66? How good is a good deal? And how much to ship it to Az?

Just looked at the video on the speed-sec web site, and I must say it is impressive. Does anyone know if it will fit any other revolvers besides the smiths? I have a Dan Wesson that I have had for years and want to try using in steel matches, but I don't have a good holster, and I am not really sold on the CR Speed, even though that is what I am using for my 625s.

A very decent revolver shooter got DQed on the last stage of World Shoot 13 (the one in South Africa) because his gun fell out of his holster when he assumed the seated start position. He used one of these holsters.

I would never use one. Or, I would at least ask myself why I would want one. The only reason I can think of is speed, but that is an illusion. Jerry can do 0.7s draws from those old basketweave Safarilands.

A very decent revolver shooter got DQed on the last stage of World Shoot 13 (the one in South Africa) because his gun fell out of his holster when he assumed the seated start position. He used one of these holsters.

I would never use one. Or, I would at least ask myself why I would want one. The only reason I can think of is speed, but that is an illusion. Jerry can do 0.7s draws from those old basketweave Safarilands.

Unless I am mistaken, Jerry can do a lot of things most of us can only dream of. :D

Unless I am mistaken, Jerry can do a lot of things most of us can only dream of. :D

You are mistaken ;):P (IMHO of course :))

I believe that with the right dedication and practice, you can go a long way in being as good as Jerry. He put in the work. If you or I want to be as good, so will you or I. There's no need to compromise equipment for skills. I would never buy an "unsafe" holster, because it is "faster". Fast doesn't mean a lot if you get DQ-ed because some looked at your holster and made your gun fall out doing so ;)

I have done .6 draws from a CR Holster that is way more secure. I couldn't have been any faster with a Speedsec.

I use the SpeedSec and have to agree it is NOT a beginners holster, but it is also a speed/competition holster

and care needs to be maintained when using it. As long as the lock is on, the gun stays where it's supposed to.

And speaking of locks, this is the biggest issue I had with my SpeedSec, till I fixed it.

The lock "tab" is tensioned by friction, locking and unlocking the holster always seemed to loosen the screw holding

this tab, a couple years ago I put a dab of lock tite in that screw hole, snugged it up till it felt right and it's been fine

ever since.

I chose the SpeedSec because I shoot many different barrel length revo's, my 617, 686's and any of my N frames

work in this holster just fine. It may not be for everybody, but then again, neither is shooting a Revolver ;)