Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Single Stack Elitist Club

zhunter

At Blackwater, I was told to stay away from a 1911 in any caliber other than .45 as that was the way the gun was originally designed to run and anything else was flawed in design. I am in this quest to find something my wife wont mind shooting. I have pretty much decided my best bet is going to be a SS 1911. I tried her out on the Glock as they always seem to run and the operations/controls are relatively simple enough for a new shooter to get broken in with. Wellllllllllllllllll would it suprise anyone if the woman has taste and doesn't like the Glock for some reason? She likes the fit and feel of the Trojan I have in .40, says it just drives to the target for her, she likes the trigger, and the feel of the grips. So I was contemplating ordering her a Stainless Trojan in 9mm from Brazos. Just kind of looking for some sound advice before I make that plunge.

Thanks in advance!

They weren't entirely wrong. They're used to talking to people who only buy factory guns. The 1911 and 45 ACP were designed for each other. Later the 38 super for sure and I think the 10mm were designed for the 1911. The issue is COAL and fitting. Factory 9mm and 40 S&W are too short for the gun and require a shim in the back of the magazine, and as we all know the magazine is already the weak link in any pistol.

The 1911 is without question the simplest and the best pistol ever designed, but it's parts require fitting. The large manufacturers bent on cost saving - Colt, Kimber, Springfield, S&W, etc., all just want to slap CNC machined parts together. Often the parts are outsourced, so their not even controlling the manufacturing process. Worse, Kimber only makes a 45 and 40 breechfaces. I've seen new Kimber 9mm pistol where the extractor wasn't even touching the case rim.

So, whereas fitted parts as necessary to some extent for 45ACP and 38 super reliability, unless you're lucky enough to stumble upon a factory 9mm or 40 that actually runs, fitting on those is critical. I would expect them to run coming out of a semi-custom shop like Les Baer, Wilson Combat, etc., but not at all off the self.

Thread DriFt History lesson.

The prototype gun that preceded the 1911 was chamberd in 38 Auto. But the US Gov't coming off the battle with the Moors (Sp) in the Phillipines and the ineffectivness of the 38 Special were not interested in a 38 Caliber and therefore the design was changed to the .45 ACP.

Later the 38 Auto round was ballistically improved and ala the 38 Super Auto was born.

Alan

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They weren't entirely wrong. They're used to talking to people who only buy factory guns. The 1911 and 45 ACP were designed for each other. Later the 38 super for sure and I think the 10mm were designed for the 1911. The issue is COAL and fitting. Factory 9mm and 40 S&W are too short for the gun and require a shim in the back of the magazine, and as we all know the magazine is already the weak link in any pistol.

The 1911 is without question the simplest and the best pistol ever designed, but it's parts require fitting. The large manufacturers bent on cost saving - Colt, Kimber, Springfield, S&W, etc., all just want to slap CNC machined parts together. Often the parts are outsourced, so their not even controlling the manufacturing process. Worse, Kimber only makes a 45 and 40 breechfaces. I've seen new Kimber 9mm pistol where the extractor wasn't even touching the case rim.

So, whereas fitted parts as necessary to some extent for 45ACP and 38 super reliability, unless you're lucky enough to stumble upon a factory 9mm or 40 that actually runs, fitting on those is critical. I would expect them to run coming out of a semi-custom shop like Les Baer, Wilson Combat, etc., but not at all off the self.

What about the Trojan? I am super impressed with the one I currently own in .40S&W. I showed her the stainless model and she really liked it, but I worry about function, especially where she is concerned, a poor performing gun would hamper her desire to shoot. Clearing malfunctions is not something I want to focus on at the first range session. What about known magazines. Are the McCormick .38Super mags the go to?

A most enjoyable web site I recommend to your attention: SightM1911 must reading for 1911 fans.

Did you know a 1911 pistol took down a Japanese airplane during WWII?

:cheers:

Awesome story.

I thought these where fun too.

Texas Ranger Joaquin Jackson

Texas Ranger Joaquin Jackson who spent the later part of his illustrious career looking after the harsh, massive Texas Big Bend Country, packed a Colt .45 auto throughout his distinguished career. When asked why he carried Colt's .45 Government Model, he replied in typical Ranger fashion... 'Because they don't make a Colt .46!'

Texas Ranger Charlie Miller

A citizen noted the hammer back on the 1911 carried in the waist band by Charlie Miller, Texas Ranger. The Citizen asks, "Isn't That Dangerous?" Charley replied, " I wouldn't carry the son of a bitch if it wasn't dangerous."

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE

GS1 THE GRAND SNOB

1 - Merlin

2 - ZH

3 - Aikidale

4 - Steve J

5 - Gentleman Jim

6 - Mark S18138

7 - IMA45DV8

8 - Alan Meek

9 - Catfish

10 - BONA-FIDE VACANT BOZ1911 (from delinquent to ENFORCER)

11 - Gman Bart

12 - Ladyinblue

13 - CSE Martin

14 - Fortyfiveshooter

15 - Nemo

16 - DMS42

17 - MiddleMan

18 - Airedale

19 - Benny Hill

20 - Carmoney (?)

21 - Sethmark

22 - Both-Ways Bill Nesbitt (He's watching you...)

23 - P.E. Kelly

24 - ddj8052

25 - 6-shot

26 - Dan Sierpina

27 - Grandbagger

28 - j1b

29 - Scout454

30 - Game Player

31 - Michigan Shootist

32 - Lighteye67

33 - MoDoc

34 - Skywalker

35 - ExiledViking

36 - SV SHooter

37 - Steel 1212

38 - Slabbie Shooter

39 - 38Superman

40 - YSued (Director of Photography)

41 - Vagus

42 - 9x21

43 - Dubletap

44 - kgunz11

45 - RESERVED

46 - Krautwagen

47 - Supercomp9

Welcome aboard SC9!

...and maybe you won't zero another rifle stage. :devil:

:goof:

Yea, POI a LITTLE off and I zeroed 1 of the two stages....but I did not finish LAST (9th out of 16) and do you remember who was 10th????..... :devil:

Yeah, yeah I finished 10th...largely due to my poor AR magazine insertion skills :angry2:...I hate being the first shooter on a stage and having a serious case of brain freeze.

Boys, Boys, Boys...........This thread is about single stack snobbery, not freaking rifle stages or Z's imfamous foam partees'...........let us get back to being snobs and making fun of people who don't understand

and admire JMB's design......... :cheers::cheers:

Boys, Boys, Boys...........This thread is about single stack snobbery, not freaking rifle stages or Z's imfamous foam partees'...........let us get back to being snobs and making fun of people who don't understand

It's not about the snobbery, it's about the 1911!

The finger pointing at the target is not the target....

Well, I had been rocking along reloading my single stack so well that day (wow that last mag is wayyyy back there on the belt), I was greatly disappointed with my poor showing with the larger (should have been simpler) AR mag... :(

Why is it that an action that you can perform so well on that smaller scale turn into a nightmare when you scale up the objects involved? Isn't it all the same in the grand scheme?

Edited by Middle Man

To respond to the inquiry about a Single Stack Forum or Sub-Forum, I had asked for one a long time ago when it was announced that SS was going to be a provisional division. The response was, the 1911 platform is not unique like a glock or open gun, and was covered by the Limited/Limited-10 forum. No sense in fighting city hall ;)

But, yesterday, our SSES Club went from being a 99% humor thread to some very good exchange of information. I like that, and see the opportunity for us to continue to use this thread as an informational sharing site. :cheers:

I think a good mix of humor and info is very healthy.

Well done boys!!!

Carry on!

To respond to the inquiry about a Single Stack Forum or Sub-Forum, I had asked for one a long time ago when it was announced that SS was going to be a provisional division. The response was, the 1911 platform is not unique like a glock or open gun, and was covered by the Limited/Limited-10 forum. No sense in fighting city hall ;)

But, yesterday, our SSES Club went from being a 99% humor thread to some very good exchange of information. I like that, and see the opportunity for us to continue to use this thread as an informational sharing site. :cheers:

I think a good mix of humor and info is very healthy.

Well done boys!!!

Carry on!

There seems to be alot of interest in the Single Stack, maybe more now than when you asked the first time. It might be worth a second try -- at least as a provisional forum. :)

What about the Trojan? I am super impressed with the one I currently own in .40S&W. I showed her the stainless model and she really liked it, but I worry about function, especially where she is concerned, a poor performing gun would hamper her desire to shoot. Clearing malfunctions is not something I want to focus on at the first range session. What about known magazines. Are the McCormick .38Super mags the go to?

Bobby,

If you get a .40 you can use the same load you use for major with 180's but substitute a 155. Drops the PF down to 140 or so. Still accurate, bigger holes than a 9 and when she gets used to it you can load it up to major.

Bobby,

If you get a .40 you can use the same load you use for major with 180's but substitute a 155. Drops the PF down to 140 or so. Still accurate, bigger holes than a 9 and when she gets used to it you can load it up to major.

If it coughs after you buy it, send it to Virgil Tripp or Benny Hill or... you get the idea. Fitting. Reliability treatment. Tuned magazines.

200 Days PROBATION for BOZ!! Funny man trying to be SERIOUS.... :goof:

Back to your dark lair...Evil one. :ph34r:

Edited by Merlin Orr

Ducky, Ducky, Ducky.............probation days are over, I am reformed (for now) and co-chair of the probation committee. Not a bad try though for a SOB, now go fill those 38 cases up and irritate some RO's. :cheers::cheers:

I am reformed (for now) and co-chair of the probation committee.

Blah, blah, blah, blah....that is what ALL the convicted felons say at their parole hearings!! Almost time to head to the range....dang, I thought TEXAS was supposed to be WARM!!!!

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE

GS1 THE GRAND SNOB

1 - Merlin

2 - ZH

3 - Aikidale

4 - Steve J

5 - Gentleman Jim

6 - Mark S18138

7 - IMA45DV8

8 - Alan Meek

9 - Catfish

10 - BONA-FIDE VACANT BOZ1911 (from delinquent to ENFORCER)

11 - Gman Bart

12 - Ladyinblue

13 - CSE Martin

14 - Fortyfiveshooter

15 - Nemo

16 - DMS42

17 - MiddleMan

18 - Airedale

19 - Benny Hill

20 - Carmoney (?)

21 - Sethmark

22 - Both-Ways Bill Nesbitt (He's watching you...)

23 - P.E. Kelly

24 - ddj8052

25 - 6-shot

26 - Dan Sierpina

27 - Grandbagger

28 - j1b

29 - Scout454

30 - Game Player

31 - Michigan Shootist

32 - Lighteye67

33 - MoDoc

34 - Skywalker

35 - ExiledViking

36 - SV SHooter

37 - Steel 1212

38 - Slabbie Shooter

39 - 38Superman

40 - YSued (Director of Photography)

41 - Vagus

42 - 9x21

43 - Dubletap

44 - kgunz11

45 - TGO???

46 - Krautwagen

47 - Supercomp9

Welcome aboard SC9!

As much as I like and admire Robby I would rather have John B. Browning as number 45 -- at least until the membership got up close to 1911. But if not John then TGO would be my choice also.

I can't stay away any longer. I need to come home. Here is my well used 1911. I have not shot any SSD yet, but this pistol got me to "B" Class in Limited and L-10. I was deployed until Jan 08, and now I'm waiting to see the surgeon for my elbow. I will shoot SSD this summer with a little luck.

Can I play with you Cool Kids?

(edited for spelling)

post-5489-1206857649.jpg

post-5489-1206857669.jpg

Edited by North