Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Villians

Gabriel Byrne in "End of Days"

The Predator in (get this) "Predator"

The Terminator of course. "Sarah Connor?" Bang.

Shooter McGavin in "Happy Gilmore"

The Russian Dude in "Rocky IV"

Longshanks in "BraveHeart"

I'll get back with more...

I was thinking more along the lines of actors that consistently play villianous roles, but this is good too.

Gene Hackman was great in The Quick and the Dead and also in Unforgiven.

Die Hard was a great movie ---- and Rickman was wonderful. Quigley and Robin Hood would have been blah, second string movies were it not for his performance. He really made those movies work for me.

Also, Gary Oldman in "The Professional" and in the Jeff Bridges/Joan Allen political movie --- was that "The Candidate?"

Last but not least another vote for Gene Hackman in "Crimson Tide." O.K., I'll give you he was more misguided than truly evil...

Last but not least another vote for Gene Hackman in "Crimson Tide."  O.K., I'll give you he was more misguided than truly evil...

Oh Yeah, I forgot that one. Hackman was also superbly villainous in Absolute Power and No Way Out.

Another favourite of mine is John Malovich as Mitch Leary in "In The Line Of Fire" and as Vicomte de Valmont in "Dangerous Liaisons".

Vader is a good one.

Agent Smith in The Matrix

The little girl in The Ring (that movie freaked me out)

Gollum

Hannibal Lector

Kevin Spacey in Seven

The Aliens in all the Alien movies (second was best)

Kevin Bacon in Hollow Man

The demon is Fallen (awesome movie, except the ending made me mad)

Fernand in The Count of Monte Cristo

Dr. Evil from Austin Powers of course

Freddy Krueger

Michael Myers

Pennywise the clown from IT (will NEVER watch that movie again)

Jason Voorhees

Jack from The Shining

Magneto

James Earl Jones (in any movie where he was the villain)

Kahn from Star Trek II

But number 1 has to go to the favorite......drumroll...............JAWS B)

He's already been mentioned but I'll add a duo:

Magneto and Mystique

I saw X2 and was blown away by the movie. As I left I was reflecting on what I had seen and realized that the highlight of the movie for me was every scene that those two were in. Diabolical!

• 4 months later...

Rutger Hauer was fairly menacing in "The Hitcher".

Can't remember the guy's name who played the baddie in "Cape Fear".. that was a good one, too.

Well, not sure if these characters/films had any 'heroes', rather examples of people winding up as victims from underestimating the predatory capacity of the bad guy characters.

Probably a better villain/hero flick-- Bruce Dern in "The Cowboys" (I think that's right... anyway it's the one where all the young kids were on the cattle drive with John Wayne and the Duke gets shot up by Bruce Dern).

Lee Van Cleef, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, is one of my favorites. I'm not sure if anyone will ever match his steely-eyed stare. For some reason, the huge plume of smoke that rose up in the scene where he shoots the old man in the bed through the pillow seems funny.

Eli Wallach as 'Tuco', a much less threatening 'villain', is hilarious throughout the movie. I like the scene where he is lying on some steps after Clint has hauled him in from the desert, and he says to a passerby "Who the hell is that?... one bastard goes in and another comes out." Apparently someone else thought that was funny, too, as there is a Good, Bad, & Ugly website you can visit that has that line as one of the many soundbites you can click on and playback.

I'll second/third the nomination of Lee Van Cleef in "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", but I think that a better choice for sneaking up on and (tactically, of course) engaging from the rear would be Jack Palance, as Stark Wilson in "Shane" :lol:

Both of those villians remind me of the line attributed to the Grand Jury Foreman or the Sheriff (I think) of El Paso, Texas, talking about the death of John Wesley Hardin, one of the real bad guys of the Old West:

"If he was shot from the front it was good shooting, if he was shot from behind it was good judgement."

Auric Goldfinger

Basil Rathbone nearly always played a GREAT villain

HAL from 2001

Nazis always make great villains:

Major Strausser in Casablanca

Indiana Jones' Nazi opponents

"I hate Illinois Nazis" from the Blues Brothers

Mapache in Wild Bunch

Nathan Burdett in Rio Bravo - I just hate that guy

Bad Ash in Army of Darkness :lol:

Stephen Dorff chews plenty of scenery in Blade

Bogart in Treasure of Sierra Madre - not a classic "villain" but gold turns him wicked and villainous

The Borg - all of 'em from the queen on down

Powers Booth chews the scenery in Tombstone and Extreme Prejudice (a horrible movie except for Boothe)

and last but maybe least Kirk Douglas in the cheesy western comedy "The Villain" with Ann Margaret and Ahhnuld

I think Michael Ironside deserves honorable mention. Not as big as some of the other actors mentioned, but he seems to be a bad guy in every movie he's in.... even when he's cast as the good guy.

(Edit) Personal quote from IMDB.COM "I like to play bad guys, since good guys are always beaten up several times during the movie. Bad guys are beaten only once, in the end."

Oh, let's not forget Ahr Nold in the first Terminator!

• 2 weeks later...

John Malkovich - although my favorite character he played was Johnny KGB in Rounders, he was also an excellent bad guy in In the Line of Fire opposite Clint Eastwood. Another flick is Con Air (although horribly overacted by Nicholas Cage, but that's (overacting) hallmark of Jerry Bruckheimer works (CSI included Rhino)) where he plays Cyrus the Virus.

John gets my vote.