Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How expensive is this hobby: R/C B-29 w/ functioning X-1, vid link

Some of those kerosone jet engines are in the $3K~5K range. And that r/c b52 plane had 8 engines. Then it crashed.

Well, I guess bullets just end up in the berms as well. Not just $10K at one time, only $0.05 per shot.

I have worked in that hobby for the past 14 years to suppport my other hobbies( ie Shooting and vehicles.) The video of the B-52 that crashed has been crashed on 2 seperate occasions both total losses. I know that shooing is expensive but how often do you crash a gun and need to do a complete rebuild with sticks of balsa. I will say that the jets are the coolest and ofcourse the fastest. Every year in Florida on a polo or cricket field there is a huge invitational event. Each plane at this event costs from 2k-10k.

I had a client once who had 3 totally restored WWII planes. One was a B-52 bomber the others were fighters.

One was a plane made famous on the movie screen as Baa Baa Black sheep. It was a 12 cylinder prop job....on which the wings folded upward for use on aircraft carriers..... I think was call the Convair????

Anyway he took me up in it ... riding behind him in the second seat. That was nearly 30 years ago and I can still feel my stomach flip when I think about it. Man could that plane accelerate.

One was a plane made famous on the movie screen as Baa Baa Black sheep. It was a 12 cylinder prop job....on which the wings folded upward for use on aircraft carriers..... I think was call the Convair????

F4U Corsair I think?

Yep... Corsair sounds right.

Because it was made to take off from carriers the engine, prop, and wings were all over sized. When he took off it used about 50 feet of runway and if you had gum in your mouth... I think it would have come out the bottom end.

I've been is some REALLY fast dragsters.... and the 0-60 for that plane would have been right up there with them.

I don't remember the numbers now... but he always quoted his fuel usage in gallons per hour or gallons per minute... and that was VERY expensive special aircraft fuel.... and 30 years ago when regular gas was something like 60 cents a gallon. I can't imagine what it would cost to play the War Bird game today.

Edited by MichiganShootist

I had a client once who had 3 totally restored WWII planes. One was a B-52 bomber the others were fighters.

Um... the B-52 was most definitely NOT a WWII plane... ;)

What I really want to know is, where do I get a functioning mini Fat Man to go with that B-29??? :)

Okay maybe not a 52... Hell it was 30 years ago and I knew the same amount about aircraft then as I do today.. virtually nothing.

All I can remember is that it was a multi-engine (I think maybe 4) bomber that he said served in WWII. It was found in Africa and he paid a guy to get it somewhat air worthy and to fly it to Illinois. Then the plane spent several years getting taken apart and re-assembled.

Big toys for the rich boys.

I don't remember the numbers now... but he always quoted his fuel usage in gallons per hour or gallons per minute... and that was VERY expensive special aircraft fuel.... and 30 years ago when regular gas was something like 60 cents a gallon. I can't imagine what it would cost to play the War Bird game today.

Somewhere around 150 gal/hr at about $5/gal at the local FBO.

R/C flight was one of my previous hobbies (It's a long list...). I started with smaller planes as most do and got pretty good at it to the point I was building $2500+ quarter scales for guys who would proceed to crash them in a few week cause they had NO skill at flying (or building for that matter). That hobby like most can get crazy expensive and storing/hauling a few 1/4 scale planes can be a real pain. Not to mention their fields run into some of the same issues our ranges do. They get closed down quite a bit cause they are too loud and people think the planes are dangerous.... Seems like every fun hobby suffers from people like that.

For me I liked the Heli's the most. They are not any less expensive but MUCH easier to transport and work on and very cool to fly!

Just another money pit of a hobby... I've had many :rolleyes:

Edited by KSmoker

Smoker, I agree completly... When you work for a shop that supports your hobby addiction it is very hard to retain a paycheck. I used to just sign my checks and hand them back over to the boss. I still have some trinkets laying around the folks basement.

I got to look in Memphis Belle on Mud Island when they were doing the electrical resto work on her. I'm 6-4" and weigh 270. Looking down the fuselage toward the tail was a....er....puckering experience. A couple of my dad's school mates were tailgunners in WWII over Germany....8th AF......and came home to tell about it. Both were little bitty wormy guys!