Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rudy Projects w/ RX inserts?

austinkroe

I am looking into buying some nice shooting glasses and the RPs seem to be pretty popular around here. Thing is, I need to have a RX to see well enough to shoot and Rudy offers an insert. I wanted to know if anyone has used them?

How well to the inserts fit?

Are they too close to the eyes?

Are the rims distracting for shooting?

Overall impressions?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thx,

Austin

I am looking into buying some nice shooting glasses and the RPs seem to be pretty popular around here. Thing is, I need to have a RX to see well enough to shoot and Rudy offers an insert. I wanted to know if anyone has used them?

Overall impressions?

Thx,

Austin

I have them, and like them a lot. The insert clips in easily, and can be quickly removed for cleaning. They do not sit too close to your eyes, and after a short time, I don't even notice they are there. They are a quality set of glasses, and worth every penny. Shop around for a deal. I got a 3-lens set, but use the Racing Red lenses most frequently.

I can recommend Rudy 100%. They place the RX in the frame line with the wraps out in front so you don't get that weird feeling of your eyelids hitting the lenses.

Try Jim at Advanced Performance Shooting. He is a good guy to deal with.

Personally I have two pairs. one is now out dated, the others ore the Exceptions. Excellent eyewear.

Jim

+1.

I also have them. The insert follows the contour of the face rather than being square to the face. With my astigmatism I needed a slightly different Rx because they are closer and angled. Don't remember the adjustment because it was 3-4 years ago when I last had the inserts ground. Your optician will need the insert frames to fit the lens blanks.

Overall impressions?

Thx,

Austin

They fit great

They kinda sit close to your eyes

I don't even notice the rims

I think they are the best thing since sliced bread!

I have two sets of Rydon's with multiple different lenses. They have been one of the best purchases I have made. I would suggest getting as many lenses as you think you may need.

Typos... <_<

Edited by Rocket35

I've got the Rudy Exceptions and love 'em. Tried another brand first, that were cheaper but way inferior.

The Rudy's really work because the wrap around shooting glasses portion attach by means of a secure center clip on outer portion of the nose piece of the frames, leaving the inserts attached to the frame itself. The protective lenses can thus be switched easily between dark or clear without touching the inserts. And the inserts are in the proper focal plane.

Mine have a tweaked bifocal to get the front sight sharp. I FINALLY have something that works and really feel they're worth the cost. Although the brand I used first were much cheaper, I wasted the cost of a set of progressive bifocal lenses and never got 'em to work right, especially because the inserts on that brand relied on a rather flimsy nosepiece mount that put the corrective lenses "behind" the frames and, thus, too close to my face for humid Louisiana shooting conditions.

I've posted elsewhere on the forum regarding my experience with them...a search should pull up my earlier post/s.

Get 'em and don't look back, buddy :cheers:

Edited 'cause typos make me :sick:

Edited by BayouSlide

Overall impressions?

Thx,

Austin

I bought the Rudy Project Kerosene glasses 2 years ago and they have been excellent for me. I have the inserts setup with progressive bifocals and I had them set the bifocal high enough that I have to tilt my head down a little to see distance. I use these for pistol and 3 gun so I couldn't just have mono vision or top bifocal. The only problem is if you have astigmatism like I do, you will have some distortion because the RX frame bends inwards at the sides to fit behind the lenses. Other than that no complaints and they make me look pretty cool for an OFWG.

Doug

I have a set of the Rudy Rydons and I love 'em. I started with a set of Bolle's and they were nice too, but I found the lenses were so close to my forehead that I was smudging them in the upper corners (near the nose) all the time. I switched to the Rudy's and never looked back. I don't have that same problem with smudging as I did before. The Rudy's are clear and thin which helps me on the stages that require you to go prone.

I'd say get 'em.

I have had Wiley X make me several pairs of prescription safety glasses. All are 100% optically correct and have been outstanding. Unfortunately, I'm hard on stuff and have cracked a frame twice. Both times they replaced the complete frame and lens within 2 days at no charge.

Seth

I use the Rydons with an RX insert (with monovision) and it all works real well for me.

The insert sits a little close to the eyes such that my eybrows smudge it eventually but not bad.

The whole thing seemed kind of delicate at first, and you wouldn't want to step on it,

but I've used mine for two years now and wouldn't shoot without it.

A little help here please... Are the Rydons using colored prescription lenses or do the script lenses "clip" in behind the tinted lenses?

I'm impressed by the reviews here however that is a chunk o change for shooting glasses.

A little help here please... Are the Rydons using colored prescription lenses or do the script lenses "clip" in behind the tinted lenses?

I'm impressed by the reviews here however that is a chunk o change for shooting glasses.

I hear ya!! I thought the EXACT same thing. BUT, once you get 'em, you wont regret it. It is a gamble no doubt, but you'll like 'em, believe all of us..... :cheers:

You have to do a little homework to get the right model for your prescription. I had the Kerosene style first but they were really a little to curved for my prescriptions strength. With most of their standard models the prescription insert sits behind the tinted lens and a little to close to the eye for me.

I've now got a pair of the Exception style (the flip up type) which are perfect for me. With this style the insert sits in the frame, and the tinted portion in front of that. The curve is such that higher prescriptions can be used without distortion.

I love 'em. I'd call Jim Shanahan at Advanced Performance Shooting and I'm sure he can explain it all to you. It helps to have someone who understands what you're trying to accomplish.

So here I am ready to sip the koolaid and there are too many flavors! I get that the Racing Red is a hot color but Photochromic? Polar 3FX? Other colors for shooting in the bright AZ sun or under the Kleig lights of Tuesday Night Steel?

Its a little easier if I make the wrong pick for sunglasses at the 7-11 at $6.99 a pair. :rolleyes:

So here I am ready to sip the koolaid and there are too many flavors! I get that the Racing Red is a hot color but Photochromic? Polar 3FX? Other colors for shooting in the bright AZ sun or under the Kleig lights of Tuesday Night Steel?

Its a little easier if I make the wrong pick for sunglasses at the 7-11 at $6.99 a pair. :rolleyes:

If I may chime in again,,,,

The only lenses I had for my Rydon's was the polarized brown and the clear.

I found the polarized brown lenses are wonderful in the -bright- sun. There was a time this year though were it was partly cloudy to overcast at times and I had the brown lenses on. I was not able to see my 2nd hit on a tight head shot only so I gave it another whack on the trigger. Turns out I had 3 alphas...

ANYWAY,

I decided right then and there I needed something in between for those days that aren't so bright. I decided on the racing red lenses. I haven't used them yet, but I am confident I'll find myself liking these lenses a bunch. As Rocket indicated, these lenses will probably become my all around lenses.

You won't be sorry you got 'em. The only real choice is which frame style and which color frame.

I have the rydons and love them. I have the laser blue, the racing red, and clear. I am going to get some yellows soon as well to help with indoors in very low light. You will like them very much. I think racing red is the unanimous ones to have plus what ever else suits your needs.

I am running a set of Kerosene with the Lazer grey and yellows. These have been the best safety/sunglasses that I have ever used, having had Oakleys, Gargoyles and Ray Bans :rolleyes: They have been great in that I use them for shooting, work (highway dept.), Mountain Biking and Skiing. They do not weigh very verry much and have blocked a LOT of foreign objects :cheers: .

I use the Radons with the red or rose lens and they are great in most conditions... Not too dark, not too light, just right. I have used these not only for shooting, but fishing too.

There is a local eye doctor in my area that carries them. You may be able to find one in your area too. That way you can try before you buy.