Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Ultimate 1911

38superman

Now that the BOD has "made an honest woman" of the Single Stack division, I'm thinking of playing some in that arena.

I can't help but think that I would be better off spending my limited time and resources trying to master the guns I already shoot.

However, watching my single stack gather dust for another year may be more than my conscience can bear.

I acutally own 2 skinny guns, but only one of them is close to being race ready.

It needs to go to the smith for a couple of new goodies and a tune up first.

Looking over my Springer got me thinking about what I would like to compete with if money were no object.

If you wanted to get serious in this division, what would you want in your holster?

There are a lot of options.

You could:

Buy a production gun and have it pasteurized and homoginized by your favorite smith ...... Been there done that.

Have a gun built from scratch by one of the well known smiths ....... Tempting but who would you choose?

Buy a gun prebuilt or custom from someone like Wilson Combat or SVI ....... Hard to go wrong with this option.

Have a gun built in the custom shop of a major manufacturer like S&W or Springfield Armory ... I like that idea.

I'm talking about a gun that you would want your name engraved on.

A gun that could take you to the top if you do your part.

A gun that would stay in your family for generations.

A gun that feels like its on ball bearings when you pull the slide back.

A gun that stacks bullets in the same hole time after time no matter what ammo you stick in it.

A gun that just keeps going like the energizer bunny.

I'm talking about a gun so beautiful that it reminds me of the first time I saw my wife.

Let the Quest begin.

Tls

Edited by 38superman

Speaking for me I dont see any great pride in a gun built by someone else. Pretty much the only thing the owner did was fork over the cash. The three 1911's I have run 100% and are very accurate. They dont feel like ball bearings and the finish is rough in areas. They have a few dings and scrapes. But I built them from scratch with a Brownell's catalog and a Kuhnhauen manual. I would be proud to engrave my name on any of them. I dunno what I am trying to say isnt translating into text and I am not being negative. I guess for me pride in ownership and putting my name on it would come from me building it as opposed to buying it.

If you are capable of shooting at the highest level, you know what the gun needs, and it ain't much.

If you aren't, the best gun in the world is just decoration.

If the shooting was important to you, you would be out with what you have, getting better.

Money no object?

Start yesterday, buy bullets, get instruction. :)

Wow,... that's harsh.

If you are capable of shooting at the highest level, you know what the gun needs, and it ain't much.

I never said I was capable of shooting at the highest level.

I only said I would like to have a gun that could get me there IF I DO MY PART.

I will believe the hardware doesn't matter when I see someone win the nat's with a bone stock GI model.

There are roughly 16,000 members of IPSC and only tiny fraction hold titles.

I guess the rest of us are just "decorated".

If the shooting was important to you, you would be out with what you have, getting better.

I shoot often, compete hard, and never stop trying to improve. I just haven't chosen to play in that particular division... yet.

Money no object?

Money is always an object but some things mean more to me than money.

I started way before yesterday, buy so many bullets the UPS man hates me, and I am getting instruction.

I am not a gun smith and don't have the skills to build a top notch race gun.

I'm just interested in the informed opinion of others as to what their dream gun would be and who would build it.

I thought this thread could be a lot of fun, but I've been wrong before.

Edited by 38superman

Ok I'll run down my dream gun setup. The primary builder would be me.

Caspian wide body W/N ramped frame. .40 S&W 6 inch slide lightened similar to Brazos lightning slide DR Middlebrooks V model prosight or a Caspian Bomar style with a "V" notch. EGW fiber optic front. I would run titanium hammer strut, MScap and firing pin. I guess I would outsource the finish and get it Hardchromed by Tripp.

Tony,

My one and only single stack pistol is the Springfield TRP Professional. I think this is one of those guns to which you are referring too. I did have to "personalize" it though. I added a Dawson front site, a "tactical" STI rear adjustable site and I installed an SVI trigger system. I think this set up works perfect for me.

On the other hand, you know what kind of pistol SV puts out. They are one of the top makers of FINE pistols.

It is so hard to say which way to go on picking out just ONE pistolsmith.

Benny, Venry, the Kodiak precision dude, HSmith,,,,way too many to choose from :wacko:

Um, how about something like this?

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Awesome.

That's a picture of the single stack that Benny Hill built to raffle at the Single stack nationals as a benefit for the USPSA Jr's. Caspian slide, Caspian frame, All Benny.

Wow,... that's harsh.

I never said I was capable of shooting at the highest level.

I only said I would like to have a gun that could get me there IF I DO MY PART.

I will believe the hardware doesn't matter when I see someone win the nat's with a bone stock GI model.

There are roughly 16,000 members of IPSC and only tiny fraction hold titles.

I guess the rest of us are just "decorated".

I shoot often, compete hard, and never stop trying to improve. I just haven't chosen to play in that particular division... yet.

Money no object?

Money is always an object but some things mean more to me than money.

I started way before yesterday, buy so many bullets the UPS man hates me, and I am getting instruction.

I am not a gun smith and don't have the skills to build a top notch race gun.

I'm just interested in the informed opinion of others as to what their dream gun would be and who would build it.

I thought this thread could be a lot of fun, but I've been wrong before.

My mistake. I so don't get the glittery gun mindset. :mellow:

I am a fan of the classic styling, the old two tone, blued over hardchrome.

.45acp

adjustable sights

ambi's

S&A magwell

checkered front strap

simple really, but something that goes bang everytime and puts the holes where I want them

like this:

post-2563-1200261079.jpg

"If" I could get one here in CA, I'd have either Benny Hill or Derek @ Millennium Custom build a Caspian frame & slide gun in 40 S&W. Heck, if money were no object, i'd get one from each :)

Since I can't, I'd get an SVI in 45 since SV was nice enough to get it on the list.

I just came across this baby in another thread.

This could be the one.

SVI 4ever. :bow:

post-11055-1200192019.jpg

That's a sweet gun, and I for one DO like this thread and understand it's intent. For me a Les Baer premier 1.5 inch gun with a decent magwell would be fine. It would be far more gun than needed foe GM and oodles more than I need for a B shooter.

Dream Build??

Builder: Fred Craig or JPL Precision...possibly Kodiak/millenium

Caspian frame/slide

Internals and recommendations by your builder is usually the way to go. JPL likes the KKM Barrel, Fred C. likes a Bar-sto etc.

If you plan to have someone build your dream gun your not going to be able to shoot it for a couple years or more. Check out the Dawson Precision web site. He has STI guns avaliable for sale at good prices (others do also but he says he will not be undersold). I have seen some fantastic 1911's come out of Wayne Novak's shop in WVa.

The more I think about it the more I am drawn to the idea of an SVI.

I would probably go with something similar to the one pictured in my previous post.

I would be worried about the squared trigger guard though.

I think most standard 1911's have a round trigger guard and I'm wondering how difficult it might be to find a holster that would work with it.

I did correspond with SVI briefly about building what I want.

I guess I will have to revise my thinking.

Money is definately an object. :surprise:

My open gun didn't cost that much. :blink:

Tls

Edited by 38superman

Buy a Wilson, Les Baer, Black Hawk, Rock River, or Nowlin. Add a mag well and you are on the way as far as your pistol is concerned. There are others too, but you can't go wrong with any fo these.

Holsters are a very personal thing. Some like leather and some like a Kydex; just what works for you.

Good luck

[]post-1238-1200763629.jpgI set out on this quest in the 90s, then the hi caps, the open gun, 3 gun and the kids college and life in general got in the way. Last year when the single stack deal came up, it was time. Caspian, Schueman classic, EGW, Bomars and Ed Brown safeties, Tripp hc and Ion Bond. And of course Benny Hill. If the ability and desire were still there this pistol could do it all and look good doing it.----------Larry

Edited by Larry White

[]post-1238-1200763629.jpgI set out on this quest in the 90s, then the hi caps, the open gun, 3 gun and the kids college and life in general got in the way. Last year when the single stack deal came up, it was time. Caspian, Schueman classic, EGW, Bomars and Ed Brown safeties, Tripp hc and Ion Bond. And of course Benny Hill. If the ability and desire were still there this pistol could do it all and look good doing it.----------Larry

Sweet!

Did I read that right?

You had Tripp hard chrome the frame and Ion Bond on the slide?

Great looking blaster. I like the two-tone.